1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

TURN BACK THE CLOCK SHOOT????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by senior smoke, Nov 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

hello:
    i really miss the days when i would go to a shoot, and most of the guns being used were model 12's, 31's, and 870's, and maybe see some well to do guy with an ithaca 4 or 5 e. in basebalL they have a "turn back the clock night" we should have a "turn back the clock night" in trapshooting. only guns you could use would be GUNS MADE BEFORE 1960. throw in some remington 58"s, model 97's and ithaca model 37's. can you think of any others? I think it would be fun, what do you think????
    steve balistreri

2. famill00

famill00 TS Member

Steve,

I am game...but I am gonna have to borrow a gun!

Forrest

3. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

Senior, when my Dad started shooting trap he used his Browning Auto Loader 5 and the trap barrel with full choke. That was in 58 I think.Might have been 59 but I think it was 58. Most guys did use a field gun and there were very few break open guns at the time. I remember lots of pumps though. I also remember it was usually chilly and everyone when not shooting would congregate around the fire barrels. It was fun being a kid back then, just being a kid was fun we played ball every day. Three blocks from my house was the ball field and anyone who wanted a game just showed up and they got put on a team. Being with my Dad and the short drives and his lessons about how life worked and how to be to others and what to expect from life is all a blurred memory now it's been so long ago. Going to trap shoot was all he had to say to mom and I'd start loading everything he needed. When he got to the car or whatever work vehicle we were driving at the time he'd say "You got everything? Let's see?" then he would give it all a quick going over and if I had to go back to get something I missed he would lecture me on the "automatics of what was needed for shooting trap" all the way there. I didn't hear that one but a couple times and never had to learn it again. :) Dan

4. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

dan-
    i enjoyed your response. it reminds me of nice memories. i wish trapshooting could some how get back to basics. when i see some people shoot with pumps and auto loaders, it reminds me of a nicer time in our sport and country. people were just nicer to one another. the other day i stoped at a gun club and it was filled with league shooters. not to many fancy guns, bt99's were about the most expensive i saw. lots of field grade remington's with 28 inch barrels. these league shooters were having a great time. i think the worst thing that can happen to a shooter is when he breaks his first 100 straight. usually a shooter starts thinking he is good, in reality, it was just a fluke. shooters need to realize that other shooters really don't care what another shooter's score is. i started shooting in 1970, boy do i miss those large shoots back then. i've lost lots of friends that i use to shoot with over the past 38 years. i really miss them.
    take care,
    steve balistreri

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.