1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Turkey Optics

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Browning Man, Mar 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Browning Man

Browning Man TS Member

I am going to put an optic on my 835 turkey gun, what do you recomend, a scope or a red dot? The gun is shooting a little to the left, I am looking to correct this.

2. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Red dot. You can shoot at a fleeing bird with a red dot. Tough with a scope.

3. Browning Man

Browning Man TS Member

Would you get one that magnifies or just a regular red dot.

4. coho

coho Member

i've hear good things about the speed beed by burris. a guy at the skeet range has one and likes it really well. it doesn't magnify.

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    What about adjustable open sights? Tru-Glo makes them. Their Model TG944B Pro-Series Magnum Gobble Dot is adjustable for windage and elevation, and fits Mossberg ribs. I prefer these over a non-magnifying red dot sight.<br>
    <br>
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Is the gun shooting to the left because of fit or is it a barrel/choke tube problem? I'd think that it would be more prudent to fix the probem at its source.

I've never understood the need for optics when shooting something as big as a turkey at 50yds. Yes, I know you aim for the head. If you can hit a moving clay target at 50yds (25yd line +25 yd travel distance), you should be able to hit a struting turkey with no problem.

Also, 1 1/4 oz of 6's going 1350fps through a standard full choke does a dandy of a job out to 55yds.

Just my thoughts.

ec90t

7. Browning Man

Browning Man TS Member

Two of us shot the gun, both shot to the left.

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    ec90t, many turkey hunters prefer the heavy 3" 2 oz loads through an extra or super full choke for maximum pattern density. Yes you aim for the head, but it's the skull and neck bones you want to get pellets in. It's generally accepted you must get a minimum of three pellets consistently into the skull or neck bones to ensure a kill. Try your load and choke with this target and 50 yards and see if it's up to snuff.

9. ec90t

ec90t Guest

That's what I mean Brian. I loaded 2 boxes of shells using BlueDot, SP12's, 1 1/4 of 6's going about 1350 give or take a couple of fps. In the last three years 10 shells have been shot and 10 birds have been harvested. The farthest shot being 55yds. All were clean kills. The choke being used was .035-.040 depending on the gun that went out.

I patterned 5 of these shells on some of those shoot and see targets. The patterns were a lot more consistant than what the 3" 1 7/8oz shells through the turkey chokes.

Too much choke causes a lot of turbulence in the shot string thus causing the shot pattern to degridate at a much more rapid rate.

I could probably pick up another 5-10yds of kill distance if I used copper plated shot, but my shells are good enough for us simple folk.

ec90t

10. Dednlost

Dednlost Member

Bushnell makes a dandy 1-4 power turkey scope with a circle x recticle. On one power which is no magnification it works just as good or better than a red dot and you can turn it up if need be.

11. rick resko

rick resko TS Member

i started with fiber optics then switched to the bushnell turkey scope. last spring i was kidding a close friend who had missed a nice gobbler the morning before. we were moving in on my bird before daylight when we were suprised by a gobbler sounding off 80 yards from us. we quickly set up and when the bird hit the groune he began circling to my left. it was plenty light enough to shoot by then and i followed him thru the scope. when he hit a clearing and stopped i squeezed off. in the flash from the muzzle all i could see was wood flying. and all i could hear was my friend laughing. i didnt pick up the rotten hemlock branch directly in front of the muzzle through the scope. they can really screw up a pattern. im going back to fiber optics.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.