1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Turkey Loads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Zuzax, Mar 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zuzax

Zuzax Member

Going on my first turkey hunt next month. Thought I'd get some different loads and pattern them this weekend. What's a good load? I'm shooting a Sx3 so 3 1/2" isn't a problem.

Thanks,

George

2. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

The best loads are the heavier than lead loads. You get more pellets with the same energy of the larger lead pellets. Being harder than lead they also pattern very good with less pellet deformation. I have taken all my turkeys with a 3 inch 20 gauge and hevi 13 or hevishot. With the superior shot they pattern good at 40 yards through my factory Remington turkey choke. So much for those who say that 3 inch 20 gauge shells are no good. With a 12 gauge you could probably stretch that yardage to at least 50 yards if you needed it. This year I bought some tungsten super shot in 20 gauge. Due to it's density I will be using no. 8 shot in a 2 3/4 inch 20 gauge shell. I think it is the most dense shot you can buy. 1 more week.

3. ec90t

ec90t Guest

George,

I use a shell that goes about 1350fps and 1 1/4 oz of 6's. This is a reloaded shell, but commercially available loads similar to this are redilly available.

They pattern really well and have harvested birds out to 50yds with no problem. I use chokes from .035-.040 for hunting turkeys and have found no reason to choke any tighter.

ec90t

4. SR1

SR1 TS Member

Try Winchester Suprems 2oz of #5 shot they just level a turkey. I would never use or recomend anything under #6 shot for turkey you might get lucky from time to time with #8s but you owe it to the animal to dispatch it fast and not take a chance of wounding it. I am sure #8s give a nice looking pattern but its not about how pretty the pattern is its about how efficient the load takes a animal.

5. Dr. Honk

Dr. Honk Member

Hi George,
    I have been shooting 1 5/8 #6 or #5 heavi shot for the past five years.

I hunt three states every spring and when the birds are responding to the call, I have been killing birds in the 30 - 40 yard range stone dead.

I'm heading to GA next Wednesday for a 6 day hunt. Once you hear that gobbler coming to the call, you will be hooked for life.

Good Luck and hunt safe,

Dr. Honk

6. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

This shot is much denser than lead. 8's compare with 4 lead. On a density chart steel is 7.8, lead is 11, hevishot is 12 and this shot is 18. With hevishot you can go one pellet smaller with the same energy compared to lead. With this stuff you can go even smaller and retain the same energy, but with a lot more pellets.

7. SR1

SR1 TS Member

I understand that tungsten is denser then lead but its energy tranfer that is needed and I would never trust #8 shot no matter how dense it is but thats just me. If you take a 22 cal lead bullet and a .458 lead bullet they are both the same density on a chart but your not gona nock down a cape buffalo with the 22 cal bullet.

8. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I think when the turkeys head is full of little holes it will kill him. If the pellets will penetrate at the range you shoot the turkey he is dead. A small pellet with the same energy as a big pellet will penetrate quite good. Kind of like stabbing someone with a knife with a rounded edge as opposed to a knife with a sharp edge. One penetrates better. I have killed turkeys with no. 6 hevishot at 40 yards. I suspect these no. 8's will do the same thing. I will let you know for sure in a few weeks. With a turkey I don't need knockdown power. He isn't going to charge me before he dies.

9. SR1

SR1 TS Member

Lol I understand I have never had one charge me either I was just trying to relate my reasons for not useing #8s thats all. I have a good friend that loads his own turkey loads with 7 1/2 shot and has never lost one with his loads. I for one would use 8s if I trusted the load but I personaly dont thats all. The more shot on target is better yes but I guess Im just old school when it comes to some things. I have thought about getting some tunsten to try but the budget is to tight for me to try it this year. When you do get a bird with it let me know how it does as I am willing to try new things if I hear positive results and would love to double the pellet count in my turkey loads.

10. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I am curious myself. I haven't patterned the new shells yet. I will do that this weekend. I have patterned lead and hevi-13. No comparison. The lead is inferior in every way. I tried several different lead loads in 3 shot sizes all in 20 gauge and nothing even came close to the patterns with the no. 6 hevi-13.

11. SR1

SR1 TS Member

I like the heavy shot also but I was given 3 ten packs of the winchester suprems for xmas so I will use them up first. I would like to use tungsten for duck hunting but for me the cost is way to much so I stick with steel. I talked to a guy that is useing those nitro turkey loads with a rhino tube and his patterns are amazing but once again Im not gona spend 60 bucks on ten rounds and another 100 on a choke tube. Where are you getting the tungsten rounds in 20 ga? I ask because my oldest daughter is 12 and this will be her first time turkey hunting she will be useing a 1148 20 ga with 2 3/4 chamber and think those rounds in #6s might be the ticket for her.

12. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I bought the hevi-13 at a local sporting goods store but I have seen them at the local Bass Pro Shops. I ordered the tungsten super shot on line from their site. I won't know until I pattern them whether or not they are better than the hevi 13 I bought. There should be almost no recoil because they are only 1 ounce from a 2 3/4 inch shell.

13. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

A 22-250 works great too, aim for the base of the neck. My best, 420 yards. AJ

14. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Uh, Tex, most states don't allow rifles for Turkey. Shotgun only.

In fact, I'm not sure I'd want to be in the field if folks were turkey hunting with rifles.

15. SR1

SR1 TS Member

I wouldnt go turkey hunting if rifles were allowed thats just nuts.

16. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

The farthest I have shot one was 40 yards. I have only been hunting turkeys for 2 seasons now, this will be my third. In that time I have shot 3 myself and called in a 4th for a friend. There was only one time so far where I couldn't get one to come within range of my 20 gauge which is 40 yards. It walked right past us at about 70 yards. Of the 4 three were within 30 yards which is about where I put the decoys. The one I shot at 40 yards was without a decoy. The one at 70 yards was afraid of the decoy and actually steered around it.

17. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Check your state game regs. In Oregon, at least, turkey loads are restricted to no larger than 4, and no smaller than 6, regardless of pellet density.

18. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

When I was in Missouri, every year my hospital and I, treated at least one or more Turkey hunters injured (sometimes fatal) by shotguns. The combination of hunter orange requirement and calling from cover was deadly. The guy that shot them always thought he saw and heard a turkey's comb/head in a bush. (This is safer than a rifle shot in an open field?) The hunter orange guaranteed that the patient would have a chest or head wound. I stayed home that time of year.

Yes calling a Tom turkey into shotgun range is really fun to see, but I'll limit my hunting to private land. BTW you turkey load experts, my father accidently killed a large Tom he was trying to drive out of his yard at 20-30 yards with 22 bird shot from his childhood Chipmunk single shot rifle, what was the odds of that?. AJ

19. Zuzax

Zuzax Member

Wow, lots of great advise here, thanks. I'm headed to Dicks today, so I'll get some different loads to try. The 2oz of 5's sure sounds like a gaint killer though.
    Tex, you think like me, if I had my druthers I'd use a .22 mag and put it in the eye ball.
    Years ago (1960) I was deer hunting with a buddy and his trap shooting father. We were standing together at first light talking about what we were going to do when a big tom flew out of his roost right above us. Trap shotin' Dad snaps his scoped model 70 in 30.06 to his shoulder and turned that turkey into a smokeball of feathers! I think we salvaged a drum stick, hehe. Man, I sure miss the old days.

Cheers,

George

20. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

Yes turkeys will sometimes ignore or avoid decoys. I do all my hunting on public land. That turkey did not see us. Never even looked our way. He had already been hunted that season and was not fooled by the plastic decoy. I know from decades of waterfowl hunting that sometimes birds do become wary of decoys. Some birds figure out that a motionless plastic replica isn't real.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

benelli sbe2 with rhino grand slam choke