1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Turkey hunting question (nothing about shells)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by short shucker, Apr 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

For those of you that have been hunting those ole Tom's for a day or two, which do you like better?

1) Putting a nice shot on the head when he stretches it out past the brambles?

or

2) Calling it that wiley ole tom that isn't responding to your calls and real hesitant about coming in range?

I for one, am getting to prefer calling in a nice bird.

ss

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

#1-Yes

#2-No, think total frustration here, likened to a street hooker working across the street from a cat house! Great effort but less than desired results? :)

Hap

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Hap,

That's pretty funny stuff their!

I talked one of those rascally ole toms in for my 12yr old nephew last year. He put a dandy of a headshot on him from 35 yds away with one of my 1 1/4 oz loads. I don't think that boy has wiped that smile away yet. He's already to go again this year. I got the best of both with that one.

ss

4. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

Heads shots work. Hate the shot from cavity hits.

I actually don't mind running into the tougher ole boys as they can present unique challanges inorder to knock em down. They usually win but every once in a great while, lady luck smiles upon me with something I've devised.

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

My youngest son is the turkey hunter supreme in the family!! I don't know how he manages to do it, almost every year, but he's harvested some of the biggest ole toms I've ever laid eyes on!! I do know he's always well concealed and usually knows the directions the bird will come in. He puts them to bed at night and is there when the alarm clock goes off for the turkeys long before daylight. He's killed a ton of them with a 20 ga Browning using #6s!!

Hap

6. 17145

17145 TS Member

Any hunter who has been around awhile or has killed a few tom's at one time or another, has screwed up a turkey hunt. When I say screwed up I mean by calling too much or being seen before one could take the shot. I would think that nobody gets lucky year after year. After awhile of screwing up a hunt, the hunter starts to get smarter and skill enters into the game. Two ways to get better is buy tactics and becoming a better caller. I personally dont like it when a tom comes right in and sticks his face in my gun barrel, but I have done it. It is far more exciting to work a bird in with a decoy and strategic calling..........Shoot Straight and Knock One Over!!!

7. caljohn1

caljohn1 TS Member

i like butter ball from the store i feed 150 to 175 wild birds every day some eat out of my hand.i shot one way back, the wild ones are to tough
    & dont tast very good & for the cost of a tag i can buy 3 butter balls.

8. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

caljohn
    You dont know how to prepare one. They are much better than a BB if you hang them for a week
    As for hunting. I like a 22 mag and one head shot. Most times if you miss you will get another shot if you dont spook it by moveing too much
    About 10 years ago I shot at one and killed one that I didnt see on other side of a creek bank

9. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

+1 for Caljohn1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.