1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Turkey Choke

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Browning Man, Sep 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Browning Man

Browning Man TS Member

I know this is a hunting question, but what is the best turkey tube that you have used. I have a Mossberg 835 that I hunt with.

2. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

I have the same gun and use a Hastings that is choked to .685 That's wide-open compared to what some use these days but I have had no problems out to 40 yards.

All of this means nothing however, as your gun is a different one than mine. I would suspect that most any choke you buy would work as long as you find what load YOUR GUN likes the best. That's the key.

Good luck,

Tim

3. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

Patternmaster

4. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

Mod. GOOD LUCK

5. K80433SC

K80433SC Member

I have had great success with a Hastings .640 aftermarket choke tube in my Winchester 1300. Like you - I have also hunted with a Mossberg 835. I had that gun "sleeved" by Mark Bansner, and it is simply deadly on turkeys. I have had my best patterns with copper-plated 6s or 5s.

6. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Browning man, I wouldn't become obsessed with the "turkey tube syndrome". I have taken turkey with a 20 ga and imp cyl. Its how good of hunter you are that counts.

7. Browning Man

Browning Man TS Member

What about kicks?

8. don q

don q TS Member

Martin is right but started shooting turkeys this year and shot a 24# tom with my A-5,got the ok to buy a dedicated turkey gun, so I got a camoed SPS-T Rem with a .660 choke, what a nail driver. Can't wait till next spring. don q

9. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

As opposed to a chicken choke?

10. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

Any tight choke that does not blow your pattern will work. I know a guy who has killed big toms with a skeet choke, but the load he shoots comes out of that barrel in a fist size swarm of angry pellets.

Toms are hardy birds - although lots of guys will tell you about killing big tmes with sub-gauge guns at incredible distances, I recommend you stick with a 12 or 10 bore with high velocity 1.5 to 2.0 ounces of copper plated #5 shot out of a .655 or a .690 choke (12 vs. 10 respectively).

I like the ported turkley tubes made by Hastings personally.

Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.