1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Turbo trainers (cycling...)

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by crusha, Sep 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crusha

crusha TS Member

If there's any cyclists here, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the indoor trainers. I had an old turbo unit & am considering purchase of a cycleops fluid unit...does anybody have one, how does it work over time, does it leak, etc.? I tried a magnetic unit that felt good in the store but I seem not to have great luck with these things. Five years seems to be about the max. before the warranty is gone and they cost more to fix than it's worth.

PS - can you put a Harley on it? (Thought I'd beat Tron to the punchline...)

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have a couple of the fluid ones and one mag one

The fluid ones are more fluid- lol- not a play on words

Really though the adjustment is both in your own bikes gears and the unit itself-- oh - and how much pressure you put against your tires and what they are inflated to

The magnetic one we have hardly used- but it is as good as the others- its a blackburn- If you wanted it - I would sell it for $75 bucks but you would have to pay for shipping

My advice is to watch your local craigs list- and to get (again for you) a magnetic one or a fluid one

At the end of the day they are about the same--and light years above the wind only ones

They are also light years behind what the racers use which are units that include RPMs from the hub- etc

regards from Iowa

Gene

3. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

buzzy, do you really think anybody on a trapshooting site would know anything about exercise/cycling????? You are losing it. First off Schwinn doesn't make a bike that has the load capacity to carry your average size trapshooter, and 2nd, well the first point negated any need for anymore points.

Now if you want advice on buffets, this is the site: There is "Hometown Buffet", "Golden Corral" "Ryans", etc.. except when in Vegas and that is a whole seperate thread.

Bisi

PS - Remember - no Nancy Ellsworths'

4. crusha

crusha TS Member

So you're saying there aren't a lot of Buddhist starbucks-drinkers here?

Hmm...

The Craigslist is a good tip, though...I'll try that. I'm not used to looking at the sporting goods section, since it doesn't allow guns.

5. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

I have used Minoura Turbo trainers during the winter months, for over 30 years. I've rebuilt my original Magturbo unit three times, though this will be the last time - no more parts available. The only real difference I can determine between the mag and fluid is during startup, and it's not worth the $$. Learn to shift the gears on your bike, and it's a moot point.

There is also a bit of ambient noise reduction with the fluid, but it's all relevant. I love riding my bikes outside, I hate riding indoors on any stand, so my screaming and cussing often negates the fluid model noise difference.

Winter hiking and cross-country skiing helped when I was younger, but hard work, hard head and old age have taken a toll on my knees, so I just keep screaming, cussing and peddling.

Best of luck,

Kip

6. Charkat1

Charkat1 Member

I have used a Cycleops fluid trainer for 15 years and love it. It's never given me a bit of trouble in any way and was in a very wet basement until we got french drains installed last year. No sign of rust deterioration in spite of the water on wet days flowing to the sump pit. BTW my husband has used it on his bicycle also and he's over 300 lbs (of course, he's a trap shooter...silly). Unless they've changed the quality of the product, it should be well worth the investment.

We're back on Weight Watchers so we'll be using it regularly, once more.

Charlene

7. Charkat1

Charkat1 Member

I have used a Cycleops fluid trainer for 15 years and love it. It's never given me a bit of trouble in any way and was in a very wet basement until we got french drains installed last year. No sign of rust deterioration in spite of the water on wet days flowing to the sump pit. BTW my husband has used it on his bicycle also and he's over 300 lbs (of course, he's a trap shooter...silly). Unless they've changed the quality of the product, it should be well worth the investment.

We're back on Weight Watchers so we'll be using it regularly, once more.

Charlene

8. shrek

shrek Active Member

I like my cyclops fluid trainer, it has not caused any problems or had any problems either.

9. archangel

archangel Member

If they still make them: ROLLERS. they will perfect your ballance, spin and overall tecnique. Darn I just gave away a set of Kreiter rollers and wind system still good after 25 years.

10. RobPete

RobPete Member

I agree with Archangel. I wouldn't trade my rollers for anything. i tried the Cylcle Ops fluid. It just not the same. Too much like a stationary bike. Rollers give a feel much like the road. I like being able to come out of the saddle and rock the bike into a full out sprint. You just can't do that on a cylcle ops. My two cents...........

11. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

Bike rollers can be liberating, but they have their own learning curve, and curve is exactly the important word here. I've never found one roller that fit all my different bike geometries well. I've settled into the Travel Trac at the web site above because the edged rollers fit my Trek 7300 with suspension fork better than anything else I reviewed. Edged rollers and suspension friendly features are important.

I use a 15" floor base fan for air for all my indoor riding. It's the fourth fan I've owned, the first one didn't survive my first roller-borne flat tire. Learning is an event that causes a beneficial change in behavior, that's why I use the stands much more, now.

At one time I rode mountain, cross-trainers (now called hybrids) and road bikes. I reveled in peddling into 'the zone' and just riding until the alarm went off. I learned, and relearned, the hard way, that a roller with inclined edges would save me from an impromptu and mood-crushing trip across my man-cave into my loading bench, or worse. The workout and mental energy you get is still worth every scar. LOL

Kip

12. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I have had a Life Cycle trainer for 16 years, has never given any trouble. It has several different programs, and will give you all you want, for as long as you want.

During winter months, I keep my legs up to speed with it. They are $1400+, but I think mine is worth every dime I paid for it.

OTOH, a good fluid trainer hooked up to a bike will help keep your seat ready for next spring. I would get a "B" bike for the trainer. Between the sweat and such, I would not put my custom 'Dale on one.

When it is over 40 degrees and sunny, I have the winter gear to ride.

If I had to make a choice between clay target shooting and cycling, I would lament making the choice while riding my Cannondale.

13. crusha

crusha TS Member

Well...you could do the Matt Dryke thing, and do both at once...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.