1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tuning a new trap combo

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jmac_cope, Jul 23, 2013.

1. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

I purchased a new Beretta trap combo (unsingle) and have a couple of questions on fine tuning the point of impact. With my style of shooting, I shoot a pattern that is 15" high at 29 yds. I shoot a pattering board from 29 yards and hold a 6 o'clock hold and want the bottom of my pattern right at the top of the 4" bull that I use as the aim point. I like the unsingle and the O/U barrels to shoot to the same poi.
    I started with the unsingle and with adjustments to the comb and the rib, I got it to shoot where I want. The problem is, when I put the O/U barrel on and shot it, the pattern was centered around the Point of aim.
    If I put a couple of 1/16 inch spacers in the comb, it would raise the POI to an acceptable height.
    My question is: When I want to shoot the O/U, do I just put in the spacers? or should I go back and establish the Point of impact with the O/U barrels first by adjusting the comb and then try to get the unsingle barrel to shoot the same Point of impact by adjustice the rib?

I would appreciate any learned advise.
    thanks,
    John

2. ABH

ABH Member

John,
    You should set the comb so the o/u barrels impact where you want first. Then you put the single barrel on and adjust the front bead so that barrel has the same point of impact as the o/u barrels.

ART H.

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

What Art said. Always "sight-in" your least adjustable barrel first using the comb, then do the same with the more adjustable barrel using only its adjustments. That way, your comb can stay the same with both barrel sets.

Ed

4. smoke-um

smoke-um Active Member

You hit upon the problem with trap combos getting all three barrels to shoot the same poi. with the same sight picture !!!!!!!!!

5. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I too agree with Art. Set the comb with the O/U set and then fine-tune the Un-single POI with the rib adjustment.

6. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

Thank all of you for your advise
    I'll go back to the pattering board and start with the O/U and then to the unsingle

7. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Another suggestion is to set the O/U top barrel poi first. Jake

8. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

One thing that really helped me was to treat the combo like 3 different guns. For me, the setup for singles, handicap and doubles are each a bit different. By locking down one configuration, it becomes a compromise. So I gave up on the idea and just make my adjustments with spacers. That might not be for everybody.

9. John55

John55 Active Member

I set my comb with the single bbl. as I shoot it the most. The o/u barrels are used much less and I remove a spacer to get them impacting where I want.

10. Garry

Garry Active Member

I think this is a good question.

For those who suggest setting the POI on the O/U first, do you do this by shooting doubles and finding the best doubles POI for you and then set the single barrel to the doubles POI?

Thanks

11. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

Hey John,
    How is everything??
    When I got my CG Maxum Combo, I did as most have suggested. Did the O/U
    then the Un-Single. If you remember my CG, it does have a lot of adjustment.
    But I did something no one else has mentioned. I shot a few rounds at the
    pattern board and found it to be 120% high on both barrels. Then I put a laser
    in the barrels and readjusted. Back to the pattern board and moved the comb
    slightly to the right, elevated about 1/8" and done. Set it to about 80/20.
    At Oakdale where you attended the clinic, we have a laser target setup at about
    35 yards. So now, after 3 years of constant shooting the O/U and the Un-Single are
    still regulated identical. All three barrels are at 80/20 and the same POI. So I guess all I'm trying to say is the Laser saved me a large amount of time and told me very quickly which way I was going.
    But here's something interesting, when Leo was teaching us on Doubles, he told me I was shooting to low. So I actually had to raise my sight picture to get on the birds. The few times I've used the O/U barrels for Singles, I use the same sight picture as the Un-Single. Go figure that one out!
    And before you ask, yes I'm still working for the Sheriff. Hit the big 70 in June, maybe one day I'll quit. I think the Sheriff realizes this so I'm finally getting a new patrol car. It's got one of the new programmable LED lightbars and programmable Siren/Horn/Headlight/Tail Light system in it. I'll look like a Christmas Tree going down the road now.
    Have you still got my email address?
    Your friend,
    Mikey C.
    Groveland, CA

12. dale58

dale58 Well-Known Member

I wonder what Leo does with his DT10 top single combo. No adjustable ribs on either barrel, just the adjustable comb. Anyone know? Dale

13. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I don't pretend to know what Leo does but I removed a spacer when using my O/U barrel as it shot higher than my Krieghoff's top single.

Ed