1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

TUNG OIL

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by sydney7, Apr 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sydney7

sydney7 TS Member

HAS ANYBODY USED TUNG OIL OVER TOP THERE OIL FINISHED STOCK FOR PROTECTION?IF SO IT IS BETTER THAN TRU-OIL.I JUST RECEIVED A BRAND NEW STOCK FROM BERETTA IT HAS AN OIL FINISH ON IT.DO I NEED TO DO THESE OIL FINISHES OR JUST LEAVE IT ALONE.THX.

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Tung oil finishes are somewhat more complicated than truoil. I think truoil will do the job just as well with less complications. YMMV.

Eric

3. Mac V

Mac V Guest

United Gilsonite Labs in Scranton, PA produces a line of wipe-on tung oil finishes under the "ZAR" label. They come in flat, satin, semi- and gloss. Wipe it on like oil and it dries like varnish. Sand lightly between coats and finish-sand the final coat with 1000 or 1200 grit wet/dry paper for a durable and attractive finish.

Mike

4. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

sydney7, if your new stock really does have a "real" oil finish on it and you are worried about open pores or occasional touch up, try Clenzoil. It has a polymerizing oil (probably tung) in it. It will clean all the hand gunk off your stock and fill the pores. I strongly recommend closing the pores. It makes cleaning easier and waterproofs the stock.

Tung oil, even diluted tung oil, takes about three weeks to cure. And it weeps a little bit in the process. So you have to wipe it down often. Once it does, you have a beautiful finish and a well protected stock. If you use Zar or TruOil you will be applying a synthetic finish. No harm, but if you are looking for a natural finish that you can touch up forever with almost no effort, stick with natural tung oil finishes.

5. 333t

333t Member

Tru-Oil is very easy to use and can be recoated any time you want. It is made from natural linseed oil, dries fairly fast, and leaves a tough clear finish. I doubt there is a more user friendly oil finish than Tru-Oil.

Phil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.