1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tuned guns do work better (apparently)(Jones)

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Mac V, May 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mac V

Mac V Guest

Damn...now there's a revelation that turned my morning into something SPECIAL!!

Mike

2. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Only took two posts and Joe shows Andrew to be right. Over and over we read praise of how much better a gun shoots after the favorite barrel man does a laying on of the hands. Andrew wants proof.

3. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Andrew,

Very interesting. The research, although slightly procedurally flawed, is valid, nevertheless. It explains why recoil is referred to as "felt" or "perceived" and "measured" recoil, why, as JerryP writes, guns shoot better after having been worked on. All of us have heard about the "placebo effect". It is real.

Look at the phrase, "the power of positive thinking". It is another example of how attitude affects perceived and/or actual events.

Rollin

4. dverna

dverna Active Member

Barrel work though can be measured. Pattern size/density/distribution. Although it makes me smile to see conclusions drawn from a single pattern with one load.

"Reading" the quality of breaks may enter the realm of TS-BS (Trap Shooting Bovine Scatology).

But, if you think it makes a difference - it will be a positive reinforcement - (feel good thing). Possibly more mental than anything else.

Now really; after spending all that money, the darn thing better be "crushing" more targets!!!!! If you do not believe that, you will think you have been "hosed".

Having said all that. My K-80 has had barrel work done by a known "name". It is a beautiful thing with mirrored surface. I purchased the gun used and came with the work done. Yes, I will "brag" a bit that my gun is so endowed when the topic is raised. But does it really matter? I cannot answer.

Don

5. ANTRIM UDF

ANTRIM UDF TS Member

Placebo effect. I will now clean my Bore with Coke!! Mind over matter, if you don`t mind it won`t matter.

6. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Joe, I don't doubt your sincerity, you may even be correct but can you prove it to Andrew's satisfaction, before tuning and after. I like Coke but I may be wrong.

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Idiosyncratic gibberish. HMB

8. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

NNNNNNEEEEEAAAAAAA!!!! What's up doc???

9. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

The placebo effect is very real. My late father (the last of the small town physicians) cured more people with sugar pills (a "new" medicine just out) than I think he did with the real stuff. Where the mind goes, so goes the body. If you believe.....it WILL work.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.