1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

tula choked barrel question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by newcastle, Mar 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newcastle

newcastle Member

Hi noticed a few k guns with tula choked barrels, are these only for skeet and are they very popular,also the concept behind them ? thanks

2. tj303

tj303 Member

http://www.shotgunreport.com/TechTech/TechnoidArchive/25-Feb-03.html

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I think it works with plastic wads also

Krieghoff made a number of these barrels-- guys often dont clean them which can be an issue

some had very thick Briley chokes added that you can see under the ports- the thread was behind the tula choke - so it made the tula inoperative

good choke for skeet

regards from Iowa

Gene

4. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

They are not very popular anymore, in fact i've actually never even seen someone use one in my registered skeet travels, and even on the internet only see a set of tula barrels show up 1-2x out of every couple hundred barrels I see for sale w/ guns or separately. Value of these barrels is usually 50-75% of that of a factory screw choked barrel of the same length (I think all the tula barrels were 28" anyways), and would be actually be a double hard sell, as 28" barrels are becoming harder and harder to move as more people switch to 30" anyways, and no one really wants the tula barrels even if they can live w/ 28".

To get a better grasp of the concept, think "internal cutts compensator", same concept applies to both, stripping the wad away from the shot before both leave the barrel. Cutts work fine w/ plastic wads, don't know why the tula chokes would be any different, although possibly not having quite the same effect as originally intended w/ fiber wads.

5. Baber

Baber TS Member

Perazzi still offers them in their 12 gage Skeet Barrel. If you ever see a Perazzi barrel with vertical slots then you have seen a tula choked barrel. I used to shoot a lot of Olympic Skeet with a Perazzi skeet barrel and -Federal T 122's threw a great pattern. The T122 is what Matt Dryke used to win the Olympic Gold Medal in 1984.

TB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

tula doubl trap

when did perazzi stop using tula chokes