1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

TUCSON SHOOTING

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by birdogs, Jan 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

The tragic shooting in Tucson points out a serious problem which is edemic in the US. This problem is the common thread running through many such events such as the Virginia Tech shootings and even Columbine.

Obviously, there are "disturbed" people out there. There are psychotics, paranoids, schizoprenics etc. Years ago, "civil rights" groups militated against their being locked up in institutions. It was argued that they have a right to be what they are. The institutions were closed and these poor souls released. Many of they stopped taking their medications and started "hearing voices" etc and engaging in bizzarre behavior. They became the homeless (which was blamed on Reagan). All this in the name of civil liberties while ignoring the welfare of these people and the protection of society at large.

Columbine showed that weird behavior, even in young people is ignored. Instead of triggering a responsible reaction, it is ignored until someone is injured or many people are killed.

This perpetrator in Tucson and the one in Virginia Tech put out plenty of signals but either no one wanted to pay attention or took any real action. Also, there seems to be no mechanism via which report these behaviors and to address the potential for disaster.

The Tucson shooter obtained the gun legally which means that he had to fill out the federal form which asks about treatment for mental problems. He likely answered truthfully in that he probably never was treated for mental illness which he clearly has, to some degree.

You can bet that the gun will be blamed and new gun control rules will be proposed and perhaps enacted. Meanwhile, the individuals who constitute the real danger to each of us and to themselves will continue to roam freely among us. They don't have to use a gun. They can and have used a brick or a knife to do harm to innocent people. They have pushed people off subway platforms into the path of oncoming trains. We see that reported in the press regularly. What we don't see is anyone proposing how we identify, treat and/or segregate these disturbed individuals from the general population of American citizens.

2. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

Birddog,

In that last paragraph you only left out CAR or Truck, that I would care/dare speak of.

But came very close to my first thought when I heard of the shooting, "OH MY here comes more anti-gun bullsh**!"

Al

3. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Using cars or trucks as weapons did occutr to me but the brick, knife and pushing someone in from of a train have already occured by deranged or disturbed individuals. I am sure that the victims of Virginai Tech and Tucson never thought that a person who had already demonstrated his instability would never be lose to commit such horrible acts on them.

Believe me, there are many more out there but there is no will to address this problwem. It is easier to blame the gun rather than correct the failures of society. Politicians can simply enact new gun restriction and pretend that they have actuall done something. Doesn't THAT make you feel safer?

4. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

"Kind of a quiet guy, kind of kept to himself".

5. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Tropod,

That's not what his math instructor a Pima Community College said! Nor at least one of his classmates.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.