1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tubes: Briley or Kolar

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 4th. down, Mar 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

Would like opinions of shooters who have owned both Briley and Kolar tubes. Which did you like better? Need to make a decision on .410 tubes for a 12ga. O/U - thanks.

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I have been shooting tube guns since there WERE tube guns. I recommend Brileys, because I think the choke system is better, the Revolution Tubes are better with import ammo, and the 410 Brileys are available in 3" chambering. This is a great option, to be able to shoot the big shell. Also, Briley has the Ultimate Ultralite tubes, which are straight rifled and are very light.

Last but not least, Briley will always warranty their tubes with no questions. Kolar has been know to charge for repairing defective tubes which should be covered under their warranty. Briley will also swap out the choke tubes if you are not satisfied with what you ordered.

3. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

well, I haven't owned both, but I just got a set of kolars for my MX-2000. they work great, the customer service was outstanding, the gun was ready as promised.

Most of the top awards at this years world skeet went to kolar shooters....and Briley just came back with their old style ejectors - apparently the "revolution" isn't all it's cracked up to be. Briley might need to decide what it wants to be when it grows up. Make no mistake...I love their chokes. And i'm sure their tubes are Ok.

But when I called Kolar, and left a message for John Ramagli (the president), he not only called me back at 7pm his time, he talked to me about his tubes and what I really needed for almost 45 minutes. A fine gentleman.

I don't think you'll go far wrong calling John.

4. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

If you want something functional that'll get the job done, go w/ kolar. If you want frills and show (revolution chambers, fluted tubes, straight rifling, funny colors) go w/ Briley LOL. Both offer a good product that 95% of shooters wouldn't be able to tell the difference between, but Briley seems to cater to those who want to look cool rather than worry about breaking targets, either than or they got their tube free or close to it. My biggest gripe is they seem to like to test out new concepts on their customers rather than doing long term field-tests on them before they hit the market (remember the Drawlock tubes??????). They seem to be doing the same thing w/ the revolution tubes, it was supposed to be revolution chambers only, with the old style chambers available only on SPECIAL request, now its you can order either. The big thing w/ the revolution tubes was supposed to be less cracking chambers in the 20ga due to no stress risers caused by machining the ejector groove. Now that they are having to drill and pin the revolution chambers to keep the ejector from spinning, they've created exactly what they wanted to get away from, which was an area that was machined out that was susceptible to cracking.

As an added bonus, kolar tubes are now cheaper than compariable briley tubes (if my recollection is correct).

5. skeet_man

another thing i've found/learned in my dealings w/ kolar and rags. Treat rags with respect, you'll get respect back. Rags has alot of $ invested in Kolar, so he's not going to purposely queer a deal, but i don't think he puts up w/ too much either when he doesn't have to. My experiences w/ rags and kolar have been exemplary, they've ALWAYS treated me like a top gun, even though i can only hope to reach top gun level someday. I've always gotten right through to john when he's there, if he's out, he calls me right back,,,name the president of any other company you can do that w/? I had a question about the new revolution tubes, and one of brileys stocking DEALERS called either jesse or cliff, i don't remember, to try to find me an answer, and they never called back all weekend.

the only phone contact i've ever had w/ briley was when I sent my borrowed citori action back for repair (b/c I had a $50 gift certificate). There had been a letter included w/ the gun as to who to contact in case there was any additional bill on the repair, i end up getting a call from briley to the effect of "I have your gun, i need a credit card #". I proceeded to tell whoever called me that the person who owned the gun was going to take care of the rest of the bill, and they told me "well whos that". All in all, a very abrupt and borderline rude phone call out of the blue.

i do think briley does alot of good work, especially when it comes to their choke tubes and aftermarket threading, but when it come to tubes, i think Kolar is the gold standard. A friend of mine had a very telling comment one day. He told me "funny how whenever you ask someone who shoots Briley tubes which ones better, they say theres no difference, and when you ask someone who shoots Kolar tubes which ones better, they say Kolar".

6. emm2

emm2 Member

I have owned both and have never had a problem with either one. Briley's service is far faster. I exchanged a set of revolution chokes last week and Briley had them back to me in four days. Service is great!

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

either

I have owned maybe 30 tube sets

each has advantages

customer service varies depending on the phase of the moon and if they are working on some outside project at that time

time of the month may have something to do with it also

regards from Iowa

Gene

8. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

Briley's Revolution for the reasons given...and the number one reason is SERVICE....

Grubby

9. digger1dog

digger1dog Member

What is wrong with Briley draw lock tubes???? I just picked up a 682 gold sporting with revolution draw lock tube set are they a problem????

10. g7777777

revolution and draw locks are not the same- they are very very different

and they made an adjustment on even the early revolutions- and even improved on that original design

drawlocks were a mistake for high volumne shooters

regards from Iowa

Gene

11. digger1dog

digger1dog Member

O.K discribe mistake? I just picked up a gun that is tubed w/ drawlocks I called Briley and asked about them add was told they were replaced in production but still under warrenty. What is the problem with them?? I am not a hi-volume sub-guage shooter but I will shoot sporting clays 1-2 times a month.

12. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

THe real problem with them is, as I understand it, Kolar holds the patent on the drawlock, not briley.

But I could be wrong, too.

13. skeet_man

jeff- i heard the same thing through a pretty reliable source, but didn't want to post anything w/ out confirmation, so looks like its true

14. g7777777

the difficulty with the draw locks are they rotate and lose alignment - so you are continually realigning them and they do split chambers

they are warranted though

15. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

I have owned both and found both products to be excellent. I have cracked a 20 ga chamber once with each manf...it happens and in both cases the tube was fixed and sent back within a week or so under warranty even though the tubes had been shot for years. 20 Ga chambers do sometimes crack due to material thiness dicated by the gauge.

I currently shoot Kolars and like them. Some say the advantage to the Briley choke design is that you can change chokes without removing the tubes...perhaps valuable for sporting clays shooters but I have never actually seen anyone do this on any type of course.

Rags is a New Yorker...not gruff by their standards but perhaps considered so by the nice people of the mid-west. Me...I have never had a problem with him and he personally returns my calls.

I have also used Briley for thin wall choke tube installs and have been very pleased with the service and result.

I am about to tube a K80 and will probably go with Kolar due to lead time...they are a good bit quicker than Briley right now...but either company and either product are outstanding so flip a coin.

I will say that I believe that Briley's attempts to generate marketing discriminators in basically a commodity product have not been sucessful. I would pass on draw lock or revolution tubes, myself. They were an attempt to resolve a non-problem (or at least a non-problem of any reasonable significance). Go with traditional design with either vendor and you will be fine.

Stephen

16. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

I went with Kolar (I live in Houston) because I was quoted 9 weeks minimum for a tube set from Briley. I got the Kolars 4 days earlier than promised. I have owned both and both companies make an excellent product, but 9 weeks is ridiculous.

17. blooch

blooch Member

I have owned several sets of both makers tube sets. At one time I would have told you Kolar was the only way to go. Then, through my own purchases of both makers sets for the same gun, I learned that the products are of at least equal quality. After dealing with both quite a bit all I can say is Briley is by far and away is the way to go.

If I were to be looking at tubes for anything other than skeet, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind, Briely is the only way to go. Kolar may be equal at 21 yards, at longer yardages, Briley rules by far.

I think Kolar does a better job at marketing ther product to skeet shooters, but Briley caters to a lot more than skeet shooters. Briley is involved in just about all phases of shooting, and trying to promote them all. I like shooting in general, with emphasis on skeet, and I'm staying with those who tend to more of my interests and treat me nicely when I see them in person, every time I see them, no matter where it is or what the circumstances are.

18. flskeeter

flskeeter TS Member

Stephen, As usual, you don't know what you're talking about. Rags is from Ohio.

19. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

I have owned both Briley (3 sets) and Kolar (1 set). Both are good, but I give the vote to Briley based on quality and cost. The screw-in choke tips for the Kolars are very pricey compared to the chokes for Briley. Also, Kolar trigger work to get .410 tubes to work in a 12 ga. runs $165 or more vs. $75 for Briley. Good Luck. Ed

20. Bridger

Bridger Member

I've always been treated very well by Kolar and doubt that too many people would ever be able to tell the difference between Kolar and Briley. As for the trigger work, Kolar charged me $95 to adjust my gun's trigger for the smaller gauges so I don't know where the $165 comes from unless you are requesting a mechanical conversion or something beyond the normal adjustment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
briley tube set vs kolar aaa tube set
briley tubes vs kolar tubes

briley vs kolar tubes

brileys choke dealer in iowa
kolar ejector ajustment

kolar vs briley tubes

kolar vs briley ultra tube set
s45 kolar briley