1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

TSA reversed- CCW allowed on airplane/air

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by g7777777, Dec 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

A federal appeals court finds that the 2nd Amendment, allows individuals the right to carry guns openly or concealed on airport property and airplanes?

What do you think? Is there a crack here? Probably not but interesting

Regards from Iowa

Gene

2. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Surprise, surprise here is Crazy Gene to troll another topic.

3. wayno

wayno TS Member

but rick, that is not the way our system works. if congress were to try to change a statute to defy the scotus, it must itself be approved by the court. the court has the last word. been that way since marbury v. madison, during the time of the first supreme court.

4. Garry

Garry Active Member

Gene, what is the source of your information. Can you post a link to it?

Thanks.

5. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Federal appeal court rules that Illinois’ ban on concealed handguns is unconstitutional

The federal court’s decision in Illinois did not address the constitutionality of various restrictions on the carrying of concealed guns at “sensitive” places such as schools, airports, churches nor did it address any particular concealed carry permitting requirement.

http://redalertpolitics.com/2012/12/14/federal-appeal-court-rules-that-illinois-ban-on-concealed-handguns-is-unconstitutional/

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    <i>"Which in regards to the upcoming ban, the Heller case said Congress could ban certain guns owned by the people that can be used in a milita."</i>

Heller affirmed the right to own and use a handgun in your home to defend yourself. Heller did not address any other issues, because they were off topic to the lawsuit.

The SCOTUS ruling that did address this issue was 1939 US v Miller et al, wherein the court ruled that only those firearms with "contemporary military utility" were protected by the Second Amendment. At the time that was guns like the 1911 pistol, the 1917 revolver, the 1903 Springfield, the 1917 Enfield, and the 1897 and M12 Winchester shotguns. The Thompson, BAR and 1917/1919 Brownings should also have been included but the 1934 NFA blurred that. Even so, they were still available if a tax stamp was purchased.

Today, firearms with "contemporary military utility" would be the M16 rifle, the M4 carbine, the M14 rifle, the M21 and M40 rifles, the M9 pistol and the 590 shotgun.

Nowhere in this ruling were sporting firearms even mentioned. Does not mean that they are not protected by the Second Amendment, but the court was addressing the specific issue of unsporting firearms (the case centered around a sawed off shotgun).

7. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Many years ago I was boarding a domestic commercial flight in South Africa.

We did not pass through any security.

I boarded the flight with a cocked-and-locked 1911 in my open carry holster and a very visible rifle, as did several other passengers.

The flight was not hijacked or slammed into a skyscraper.

Not even once.

8. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

I think the Heller case did address other issues.

http://www.scotusblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/07-290.pdf

"(f) None of the Court’s precedents forecloses the Court’s interpretation.
    Neither United States v. Cruikshank, 92 U. S. 542, 553, nor
    Presser v. Illinois, 116 U. S. 252, 264–265, refutes the individual rights
    interpretation. United States v. Miller, 307 U. S. 174, does not
    limit the right to keep and bear arms to militia purposes, but rather
    limits the type of weapon to which the right applies to those used by
    the militia, i.e., those in common use for lawful purposes. Pp. 47–54.

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

That airplane you get on better stay within the state that you are licensed to carry in. HMB

10. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

There are limits - but you are still out of luck on international or between state flights on large commerical aircraft

http://www.aerolegalservices.com/Articles/FirearmsOnAircraft.shtml

http://www.law.umaryland.edu/academics/journals/mdlr/print/articles/71_4_1205.pdf

11. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

RE: There are limits

Your links...

Conclusion

What does all this mean? Well, for the majority of people traveling on commercial aircraft, the ability to transport firearms on the aircraft is severely restricted. In almost all cases, unless you are flying in a private aircraft, carrying firearms with you on an aircraft, either on your person or in your carry-on luggage, is prohibited.

You may still bring firearms and ammunition with you on a flight, but they will need to be unloaded and contained in a locked case within your checked luggage in compliance with your airline or aircraft operator’s policies.

http://www.aerolegalservices.com/Articles/FirearmsOnAircraft.shtml

----------------------------------

The other link talks about letting pilots carry guns, unless I'm missing something.

http://www.law.umaryland.edu/academics/journals/mdlr/print/articles/71_4_1205.pdf

-------------------------

I hope people are not taking information posted on a talk board as fact, without checking other sources.

12. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

Mine is a DR 15. Defense rifle. I will defend myself and assault no one !!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.