1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

TSA requirements

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jayusmc, Apr 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jayusmc

Jayusmc TS Member

TSA regs. Confusing me re. Travel by air with my shotgun Ina hard side case with dual combo buildt into case. do I still need a TSA lock? Do I need to wrap the breakdown case with a chain around the case with TSA lock? Going to Canada no problems, however U.S. regs. Not specific answers, just like IRS. Ome clown told me I need to drill holes into my gun case? I probably need to call Obama to get more FUBAR? thanks for any help!

2. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

From the way I understand the regulation you are NOT required to use TSA locks. As a matter of fact I believe it is not suggested since any TSA agent that has a key can get in to it.

Once they inspect the contents, with you present, you close it,lock it with your own lock, keep the key and they take the case. There is no reason for the case to be opened again from that point on.

Bryan

3. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

TSA locks are allowed, but not required.

4. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Ditto to what Calkidd posted... allowed, not required and actually not recommended.

Jay

5. JPSemper

JPSemper Member

Ditto Calkidd. I do it all the time at Chicago O'hare with American Air. Go up to the ticket counter to check in. Declare a firearm. They will give you an orange card to fill out. Show the the firearm is unloaded. The ticket agent then closes the hard case and has you follow the airline representative to the TSA officer. They take it and run it through the machine. They then lock the case and hand you the keys. I usually stand watching them go through their motions. They're usually very polite and understanding.

Good luck.

John Semprini

6. Caesar Trap

Caesar Trap Member

I have travelled in the USA and Canada on the airlines with firearms. What John notes above is typical to what I have experienced in both countries. The experiences are all good. I travel with an Americase that has both keyed and dial type locks built in.

Kyle Winter

7. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

No TSA locks.

Canada recently changed the laws regarding their registry, but used to require a firearms entry permit. Not sure out it now.

Getting your gun out of the country is the easy part. Getting it back in can be problematic. There is an ICE form that you fill out and have signed off on at your port of departure. Without it, you may be accused of illegally trying to import firearms since you cannot prove you had it with you when you left the country.

I also carry my original receipts, copies of the 4473, and dated gunsmith receipts.

Last march I ran into a snafu coming back from Argentina...the Border patrol agent had incorrectly signed my declaration form. Upon coming back, they wanted to confiscate a couple of my favorite guns that cost well into five figures. The guy was a complete prick. I maintain that ICE and ATF are in cahoots to confiscate any and all guns they can on technicalities when coming into the country.

It was only because I had my original receipts and 4473s that my guns were allowed to enter. I was detained for three hours in Houston and missed my connecting flight to Detroit because of this.

8. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Canada.

US visitors still need to do the paperwork for a 60 day permit. $25 Canadian. May change when website updates to reflect the new law, but I doubt it. I have been pushing for elemination of the fee or to make it good for 12 months. Will soon see if anyone was listening.

US Customs Form

Customs Form 4457 (can be downloaded). Fill out the form and agent signs. You can do this at any time before you depart the country. If you live near a customs office give them a call (Don't bring the firearms into the office).

Filling out the form is a one time requirement unless the form is no longer readable. Show upon each return to the states. Have it with you every time you depart the states. Most times when I drive, not even asked for.

9. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Just put two shooters on American Airlines this morning headed to San Antonio. PTI - walked to the TSA office and presented the cases/guns for them to inspect. They closed the cases and spun the lock on (cases had locks) the cases and that was it.

FRedmon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.