1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

TSA Glossed over radiation risks of airport scans

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by pyrdek, Nov 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

U.S. Government Glossed Over Cancer Concerns As It Rolled Out Airport X-Ray Scanners

On Sept. 23, 1998, a panel of radiation safety experts gathered at a Hilton hotel in Maryland to evaluate a new device that could detect hidden weapons and contraband. The machine, known as the Secure 1000, beamed X-rays at people to see underneath their clothing.
    by Michael Grabell, ProPublica, May 16
    One after another, the experts convened by the Food and Drug Administration raised questions about the machine because it violated a longstanding principle in radiation safety — that humans shouldn’t be X-rayed unless there is a medical benefit.

“I think this is really a slippery slope,” said Jill Lipoti, who was the director of New Jersey’s radiation protection program. The device was already deployed in prisons; what was next, she and others asked — courthouses, schools, airports? “I am concerned … with expanding this type of product for the traveling public,” said another panelist, Stanley Savic, the vice president for safety at a large electronics company. “I think that would take this thing to an entirely different level of public health risk.”

The machine’s inventor, Steven W. Smith, assured the panelists that it was highly unlikely that the device would see widespread use in the near future. At the time, only 20 machines were in operation in the entire country.

The above is only a portion of the article. To read the full article Click Here

2. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Whis is worse this..

images-21.jpeg

or this

homer-simpson,A-L-227181-1.jpg

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

When we were kids when we went downtown we would go to Baum's and stick our feet in the X Ray machine so we could see our bones when we wiggled our toes.

I'll bet a lot of people on here don't remember the shoe fitting X Ray machines.

HM

4. TinMan88

TinMan88 TS Member

HM, You didn't mention how they were taken out when all the shoe salesmen got cancer & were dying off. They know better now.
    tinman88_2008_03034.jpg

5. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

I remember those machines very well. Several have been tested reently and they give off absolutly incredible amounts of radiation...totally unsafe. When you add the mercury we played with, the cigaretts our folks smoked in the house, car and around our heads, the lack of seatbelts, the asbestos we were exposed to, it's a wonder how any of us made it to the half century mark.
    R Talley

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.