1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trying to Remove a Forearm Nut From a Model 12

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Bluegoose, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Bluegoose

Bluegoose Active Member

I am trying to remove a VERY stubborn forearm nut from one of my Model 12s. I have a spanner wrench, about 6" long from Brownell, (the one that looks like a "Y") and cannot budge the nut. In fact, I've managed to bend the wrench handle.

Where can I purchase a quality, heavy duty wrench with a longer handle?

Thanks,
    Ken

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Craftman tools at Sears, or any good hardware store.

3. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

Try a little penetration oil like Kroil and let it work for a couple of days.
    Mike

DCmodel12 thanked this.
  4. redfin1956

redfin1956 Active Member

oil it first ,let it sit muzzle down ,after a few days try a heat gun and a plastic mallet

5. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Put the forend wrench in the vise. Then turn the forend not the wrench. Usually
    works for me.

Ed Y, Big Az Al and stockmaker12 thanked this.
  6. Almcvey

Almcvey Member

Th forearm nut on a model 12 can be very difficult. This sometimes takes 2 people.
    With the front 1/2 removed from the gun, put it in some kind of griping vice to steady it, take a brass punch , or chisel and tap the nut with a hammer, you may have to try and move it both ways before getting it loose. I don't think you will get it off with the wrench alone with out hitting it with a hammer. Good luck

Big Az Al thanked this.
  7. Heeringa

Heeringa Active Member

Lefty loosey, righty tighty.

8. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

The go to my dad taught me is the first quote. If that fails then the second. Quote is about the only option left.

Al

9. cole50

cole50 Member

Put the wrench in the vice and putting your weight against the forend nut and pushing in rotate the forend assy.

10. Peddler2

Peddler2 Member

Had the same problem before. Put the wrench in a vise and then turn the forearm . BUT FIRST SOAK IT GOOD WITH A PENTRATING OIL AND WALK AWAY FROM IT FOR A DAY OR TWO. KEEP USING THE PENERSTING OIL ABOUT EVERY 6 hours. After waiting two days try to loosen it again. You can't believe the rust in the ring and the metal sleeve that goes through the forearm

11. Bluegoose

Bluegoose Active Member

So far nothing has worked.
    I've been applying Kroil for several days without results and tried applying heat with a soldering iron and have gained nothing.
    As I mentioned in the op, I place the spanner wrench in the vice and attempt to turn the forearm.

What kind of chisel do you use and where do you place it so as not to mar the nut?

12. super-x1

super-x1 Member

Haven't tried it yet but saw a video on loosening rusted lug nuts on cars using a bic lighter and candle wax. Bring up the video and see what you think.

13. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Bluegoose, There's no way that you are not going to mar the nut using a hammer and chisel, JMO. There used to be a poster on here, I can't remember who,
    that made and sold spanner wrenches for the various model 12's. They were of excellent quality. Perhaps they are stronger than what you got from Brownell. Where are you located? Check your PM.

14. trapp2012

trapp2012 Active Member

X2 on the Kroil. Went through the same situation last winter. Application of Kroil over about a week and a spanner wrench from Brownells took it off without much effort. Kroil Kroil Kroil.

15. sasquach

sasquach Active Member

Take the hammer to it. You can get another on ebay for 10-15 bucks. Put a little never sieze on the threads when you put it back togather so it will come loose the next time.

16. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

17. Bluegoose

Bluegoose Active Member

Sorry but the wrench in the link won't work on a Model 12.
    Thanks for the offer though.

18. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

Actually, Brownells also offers a heavier duty wrench that is double-ended...12 ga. & 20 ga. Cost more, though.

19. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Can't believe that it's still stuck. I've removed 100s of them, some pretty tough, but they all came off. I use Kroil and the heavy duty, Brownell, 12/20 gauge combination type that WNCRob mentioned.

Ed Yanchok

Bluegoose thanked this.
  20. Alligator

Alligator TS Supporters TS Supporters

I had one recently that stuck because the gun had been reblued and the bluing salts were not rinsed out of the threads before it was assembled. My wrench I made on a lathe and Bridgeport by boring a hole a little larger than the magazine tube of a 12 gauge Model 12, facing off both ends after knurling the O.D. I then cut the face for tight fitting opposing screwdrivers across the center. It slips down over the magazine tube and the knurling allows hand pressure which is enough in many cases. If not a strap wrench or large channel locks have never failed to loosen one up. It works so well on 12,16, and 20 gauge M 12s I made one for the Model 42 also. Gator

Search tags for this page

disassemble forearm on a winchester model 12