1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trying to find the perfect load

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by CAMOTRAP, Mar 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CAMOTRAP

CAMOTRAP TS Member

im a new trap shooter two years,i have tried Red dot,Promo,and international clays all with AA hulls and Chedite primers,CB wads i am trying to load 1.125 oz loads at 1250 fps and keep the LUP under 9300 or the PSI under 10100 any other powder,wad combo

2. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

If your new to trapshooting, why do you want to beat yourself up with hot loads?

Breakem All,
    TNCoach

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Unless you are shooting from say the 25 to 27 yard on Handicap, I really don't think you need that much velocity.

A load I have used a lot that works great and won't punish the shooter as much is this:

Remington STS/Nitro Hull<br>
    Winchester 209 Primer<br>
    19grains of Alliants Green Dot Powder<br>
    Fig 8 Wad<br>
    1 1/8oz of Shot<br>

It chrono's at roughly 1145fps at 8,100 psi and will dust the targets all the way to back fence. If you bump it up to 20grains it speeds up to 1200fps at 8,600psi.

If you insist on 1250fps, use 22grains of Green Dot in the Remington hull but use a Remington RXP wad instead. It comes in at 9,400psi

As stated above by TN Coach, as a new shooter I really don't think you need that much shell.

4. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I use the same load that grntitan listed.

5. CAMOTRAP

CAMOTRAP TS Member

Seems like the more yardage i get the shot takes longer to get to the target.the recoil really no issue for me but would like to protect my hardware

6. jimbo9910

jimbo9910 TS Member

19.5 grains green dot 1oz load of 8s or 8.5 you will never go wrong thats just for 16yrds 22 grains green dot for 25-27 then 1 1/8 of 7.5s

7. Trauma901

Trauma901 Member

For a little variety,

Remington STS/Nitro/GC
    17.5 gns Clay Dot fm Alliant
    Nobel Sport primer
    DownRange XL1
    1 oz #8

Been using this for all my trap and skeet loads (#9's w skeet) for several years,
    never had a problem. Although, if it gets real cold around you, might want to warm the shells overnight in the house before a shoot.

Doug

8. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Go to the IMR web site and check out PB powder, There are several loads listed that meet your criteria.

As other posters above have commented, you do not need that much velocity until you are shooting from "the back fence" in trap.

Your criteria for a perfect load IMO fits the criteria for a 35 yard "games" load.

Ed Ward

9. Bill Roberts

Bill Roberts Active Member

Second the PB. Best powder I have found.

Bill

10. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Another vote for 1 oz @1200 fps. Recoil is cumulative. Mark

11. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

I will only use PB powder for 1 1/8 oz loads. And only in a Gold Medal hull with a Fed 209A & S-3 wad. Lower recoil because of the straight wall hull. Rem & AA are taper wall so try Clays. Better utilization. Check the powder Mfg manuals for exact pressures/velocity. They are the best in the business & free. Credentials?? I have been loading shotgun hulls for 48 yrs,started with Red Dot(the amount would make your hair stand on end)& Alcan Papers/primers/card wads/shot wrapper strips.

12. torqueman

torqueman Member

One thing I learned is to find one recipe and shoot it ,this will make you very consitent! Settle in and shoot 1000rd with same gun and load before you condem the gun or the load ! shoot well JOE

13. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

18.5 grains of red dot, 209 primer, oz and 1/8 shot. 1200 f.p.s. All components easy to get and it smokes 'em, even good for Oakley. Bill

14. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If you are concerned about speed shoot 1 oz or 7/8 oz. It will be easier on you, your hardware and your wallet. HMB

15. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Any hull with green dot doing 1145fps-1175fps.

CAMOTRAP, recoil may not be a problem today but should you stay in the game, one day it will.... Your just getting yourself to "the day" alittle quicker by using that velocity for everything.

16. dhg

dhg TS Member

To add to what pheasantmaster said, then the flinching will start.

17. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Every gun/choke/shell- patterns different. Choose the shells with the best patterns at 35 and 45 yards, out of the gun and chokes you're using. Then stick with that.

Wayne

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.