1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trying New Load with Promo and Downrange Today

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by WoodsonEnt, Jun 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

I am trying a new load today. I have loaded 18.0 grains of Alliant Promo, STS hull, Chedditte Primer, and Domwrange Jammer XL-1 wad. I have loaded #8 shot @ 7/8 ounce, and 1 1/16 ounce. The 7/8 ounce is @ 1250 fps, and 1 1/16 is 1185fps. I will report back with breaks and performance.

Matt - Woodson Enterprises
    (270) 804-5454

2. K80Dude

K80Dude Member

I have been using Promo with the Downrange 1 oz loads 18.2 grains and it crushes targets all the way back to 27 with no problem. Good powder and good wads. I have been using the Fiochi primers.

3. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Drop the charge to 16.5 and see what you think! It really works great and the recoil is gone. Jake

4. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Results are in! I shot 2 boxes of 7/8 ounce, and 2 boxes of 1 1/16 ounce. Well, a 96 @ 16 yard singles. A quanity of 4 24's. All loads seemed to pattern good and break targets well. I have been loading the 1 ounce load for quite sometime. I do believe I will stick with it. The 1 1/16 ounce load broke targets just as good as standard one ounce load. Just wasted a 1/16 ounce of shot. The 7/8 shot ok, but I wasn't please with quality of hits. I don't think it was the right wad for what I was wanting to accomplish. I just got some of the XXL 7/8 ounce in my store. When I get back from Tennessee State shoot, I will begin experimenting!

5. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Mike,

I am like you! When I squeeze the trigger, I want a quick break. I love the 1 ounce load with 18.0 grains of Promo and Jammer XL-1 or XL-1 (green) wads. I couldn't really tell any difference between the 1 1/16 ounce and my 1 ounce. I didn't really notice the 10-20 fps difference. The only difference was the extra 1/16 ounce I used. I didn't like my breaks with the 7/8 ounce. It didn't seem quick enough, even though they chrono @ 1240-1250. I am going to try the XXL 7/8 @ 1290fps. I think I will like them. I shot a few rounds this past week from the 27. I have been really impressed with the cheap Federals that I bought @ Wally World. I am going to take some of those to Tennessee State for Caps and 2nd shot of doubles. For doubles first shot and 16 yard singles, I have loaded my old-stanby load: 18.0 grains of Promo and 1 ounce Downrange wads.

Matt

6. biff

biff Active Member

Matt, I am loading some 18.2 Promo 1 1/8 oz. with a Blue Duster in the old AA hulls and will try them Tuesday night. Will try to chrono some as I did the white Down Range 8 petal wads and got a 1214 fps with them which was very close to a couple Wally Federals which were 1216fps. I like the 8 petals on the 16 and the heavier Blue Dusters on caps.

When you shoot a big ole Ljutic with a Soft Touch there's no silly kicking, just shoot what you want, mike has it right, "Speed Kills!" Biff

7. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

One of my all-time favorite H-cap practice loads is 18gr Promo under an XXL pink wad in STS hulls pushing 7/8 oz of #8 at 1250 fps. Either a Cheddite or a Wolf primer gives identical results. With a .03 PureGold choke in my SKB 85TSS this load is pure joy, and inexpensive as well!

8. REDD04

REDD04 TS Member

Matt,

I've been playing with 7/8 oz from the 16 Yd also. I agree with Mike in that you need to increase your velocity. I am getting serious smoke from the 16 yd. with 7/8 oz #8 Lawrence Mag shot, Rem hulls (gun clubs & STS mixed), Rem STS209 primer, 18.6 gr actual weight Red Dot, and 1 oz Windjammer wad, or Green Duster wad, or even the claybuster orange Win Target replacement wad.
    The orange claybuster does not have as pretty a crimp, but works as well as the other wads at the 16.

Patterns with each wad at 40 yds with a .025 Angleport choke in a Browning XT result in very uniform patters of 27-28 inches. I have not tried them beyond the 16yd.........yet.

Redd04

9. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Redd04, Glad you are having success with 7/8 ounce. I am just playing with it. I have loaded it in the past, and starting to tinker with it again. At TN State shoot this week, I will be shooting 18.0 grains of Promo, Downrange Jammer XL-1 wad @ 1200fps for singles!

Matt

10. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

I am trying this load again tomorrow @ some registered birds. Let you know results.

11. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Just got done shooting 16 yard singles. Well, the results are in. This combination explodes targets. It leaves big black clouds of dust hanging. I broke a 94/100. I got to bead-checking a little. Out of the 94 hits, 90 were inkspots. This Downrange wad is awesome for singles!

12. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

Matt, I've been using Downrange clones of TGT-12s with Claydot ,1 oz of 81/2 magnum shot, Noblesport primers---they incinerate targets-with a Wright's IM choke out of my Beretta NCP. Question when I get my new Infinity, I'm thinking of going to Promo, I feel I don't need a supper clean powder with a hinge gun. How does the xl-1 compare to the Downrange TGT, I am now loading 7/8 & 1oz exclusively. Will be sticking with Noblesport primers, when I run out of CCI-209's---thanx--Phil

13. REDD04

REDD04 TS Member

Andy,

At what handicap yardage are you shooting your 7/8 oz load with the .030 Pure Gold choke?

Have you patterned this load with the .030 Pure Gold? If so,are your patterns relatively even or are they dense in the center (hot core)?

As I stated above, I'm just starting to play with the 7/8 oz loads and am trying to shorten the learning curve by getting advise from those with more experience with these loads. I'm going to leave the .025 Angleport in and back up until my breaks get weak and or inconsistent. Then I'll put the .030 in and see what happens. Or I might try to find some 8.5's and up the speed to 1300+ FPS if it appears that my pattern is getting thin. (I don't know if I'm precise enough to shoot this load with .035 or .040 of choke.)

I'm just trying to get an idea on what to expect.

REDD04

14. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

chatbrat, I believe the XL-1 wad and TGT12 clone are close. I like the Downrange TGT12 clone, but I like the XL-1 better. Reason is, they are cheaper! I haven't had enough TGT12 clones in stock to pattern. Everytime I get some, people jump on them. The XL-1 green moves just as fast. I pulled enough for myself to load. The XL-1 green patterns beautifully. When I get home, and have some time....I am going to load the TGT12 and pattern some. I will post results. After 4th of July weekend I am going to post some pics of patterns on here. I have patterned alot of loads, but never displayed them. As far as Promo.. it is not a super clean powder, but it isn't all the dirty either. I used to hear it called "Dirty Red Dot". Well, the Red Dot I have shot lately is dirtier than Promo. Another thought....Promo is cleaner than REX 1 and 2. How is ClayDot? I bought some, nobody wants to buy it, and I haven't loaded it.

(270) 804-5454

15. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

REDD04 - I shoot from the 23~24 yard line with the 7/8oz - 8 loads. At 45 yards, the pattern is consistently even with enough in "core" to smoke 'em when I point the gun in the exact right place. The sooner you try 7/8oz, and closely analyze your shooting, I believe you will become a better shooter. Just don't use too large a choke; IM is the largest I'll use until after 20 yds. When I'm really on them, I'll go to my .035 PureGold and make them disappear! I'm confident with this load back to the 27, but don't use it for Comp. HTH AndyH

16. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Just shot this load for 1st target of doubles here @ Tennessee State. I don't really look at my first shot. I glance, squeeze trigger, and start moving but a friend of mine said that the targets were smoking. Everything looks promising!

Matt

17. shrek

shrek Active Member

Hi Matt,

I have been using a 7/8 oz load with the XXL pink in rem hulls using fiocchi primers and 16.6 gr. of titewad. I have not chrono'd it but the reloading book says 1250 fps.

through my bt-99 with a trulock full choke tube it hammers the birds from the 16.
    Many of the guys I shoot with are very surprised it is a 7/8 oz load, and has offered proof to them to at least try 7/8 for themselves. the ones i miss have nothing to do with the load, only the "loose nut pulling the trigger"

I have also used this load for the first doubles shot through a trulock mod choke in my 525 and it works very effectively there too.

18. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Shrek, Yes the 7/8 ounce load works well too! I haven't tried any for the first shot of doubles, but I have loaded some mild and some hot. I have got to do some testing when I get home Monday. With the prices of shot, fuel, food, motels, etc....Everyone is asking for 7/8 ounce wads and a load. Mike (PerazziBigBore) has been shooting 7/8 ounce and 24 gram loads for quite awhile. He can make those loads move fast and break targets. I was shooting an Infinity by Devault Industries. It had a very, super-fast lock time. You could touch the trigger on a 1125fps load and the target broke. I am know shooting a Kolar and a Perazzi (sometimes). I noticed a difference in lock time, so I have sped up my loads a tad. This 1 ounce load I have been shooting: 18.0 grains of Promo, Chedditte primer, and Downrange Jammer XL-1 or standard XL-1 is incredible! This load patterns great and moves 1200fps. It breaks 16 yard targets and 27 yard targets. I know the 7/8 ounce will also. I just need some time to load some and test. I am shooting more 1 ounce shells tomorrow!

Matt

19. REDD04

REDD04 TS Member

I guess I'll shoot a few patterns this weekend at 45 yds with the 7/8 oz load and the 0.025 & .030 Angleports. I'll try the Green Duster and the Windjammer wads. The Green Dusters are supposed to be better at distance than the Windjammers but one of my buddies said that he was able to smoke them from 30+ yards with 1 oz of #8 in Windjammer wads in his Winchester M12 trap gun (I think the M12 has .035-.040 choke).

This is starting to remind me of pre-turkey season patterning. With my gun and choke, every shell I tried would reliably kill a turkey at 40 Yds. Aproximately 50% of the shells would reliably kill a turkey at 45 yards. At 50 yards aproximately 20% would reliably kill a turkey. It seemed like I lost 50% of the pellets in the kill zone (head & neck) of the turkey target from 40 to 45 yds and a 50 % loss from 45 to 50 yds. I try to shoot goblers at no more than 40 yds, but have shot several at 45-50 yds that I would have sworn were no more than 40 yds................starting to get somewhat off topic. Sorry!!

One more question: Hot core with weak fringe or smaller, more even pattern (more choke) ????????? For turkeys, there is no question at all: HOT CORE!!!
    For trap, I 'm still not convinced that the hot core preferable to an even pattern. Opinions welcome>

REDD04

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.