1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trying New Load with Downrange Wad Today!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by WoodsonEnt, Jun 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

As many of you know, I sell Downrange wads. I also load them myself for practice, competition, and help informing the customer. I had a customer request me to get the Downrange DRF3. This wad is a direct replacement of the Federal 12S3. He only wanted a few bags, so I took out a bag for myself. I have never loaded a Federal Hull before. I had some Gold Medals laying around, and some Top Gun's also. I am shooting the Kentucky State this coming week, so I decided to load some for Doubles events-second shot. I shoot a one ounce the first shot, and a fast 1 1/8 ounce the second shot. I went to the Downrange Product Guide and the Allaint Reloading Guide for a load. I had some Green Dot around, so that is what I decided as powder. I always load Chedditte 209 Primers, and got everything ready. According to the manuals around 20.0 grains was a load @ 1200fps. That is what I decided on. I started loading, and these wads loaded GREAT! I was surprised! The load again was Federal empty, Chedditte 209 Primer, Alliant Green Dot Powder (20.0 grains), Downrange DRF3 Wad (12S3 Replacement), and 1 1/8 ounce of #8 Shot. I am going to shoot some of these today @ the Gun Club. I will post results later this evening.

Matt - Woodson Enterprises
    (270) 804-5454

2. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I bought a few bags of the DRF3 wads at the Midwest Grand. I've had nothing but success with them. I've loaded Federal Premium, Top Guns and Estates using 18.4 gr. of Clays and Fiocchi primers. These have worked great for me at both the 16 and 24 yd. line. I get about 3 reloads out of each hull then pitch em. You sure can find all the free ones you want.
    I also bought some XXL for 1 oz. loads but they are not near as good as the DRF3's. May have to try Glaybuster's version.

3. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Matt, does Downrange make a Fed. clone wad for the 20ga. as well. I might be needing some of these as I heard they are a good wad to use in the newer Win. AA. HS hulls. They are a bit shorter as so not to have to go past the plastic cup in the base wad in the hull.(no buckled cases). Also, How much for a case, and shipping to 33437. You might be able to PM me, but not sure if I have it turned on or not. Let me Know. All Good and Break-em all. Jeff

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Jeff, a question. What kind of powder are you using that would allow the wad to seat at the top of that lip? Hap

5. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

check out the thread about G M hulls seperating. Jeff

6. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Jeff, Downrange makes a wad called thr DRV20. It is a versatile wad to be used in all 20 gauge hulls. I have never used it or loaded it, so I am unsure. People have told me that they really liked it. Cost for wads is $79.99 per 5000 and UPS Ground shipping to that zip is $18.25.

7. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Jeff, Explain how a wad can possibly cause the hull to buckle.

8. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

BigBore613, I will check out that posting and get back to the rest of you all.First Thank You For the prices on the wads. Ok checked out that GM post and not sure how that relates to loading in the Win. AA hull? The 20 ga. Win. AA's have the same 2 piece wad as in the 12 ga. hulls. They need the pricy wads and carefull settings on the crimps, not to buckle the hulls. It was an interesting post on the GM hulls though. Break-em all. Jeff

9. IndyJohnO

IndyJohnO TS Member

I have been using the Downrange DR-XXL-7/8, 12 ga wad for 7/8 oz loads since the wad was introduced to the market.

Have had excellent 16 yd and 20 yd HC performance and success with this wad and 8.5 shot.

JohnO

10. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Well, I got a chance to try them out. I didn't get any chance to shoot doubles, but I shot some 16 yard targets with them. I shot a 24/25 on the first box. Nothing but smoke, I was quite impressed. Shot the second box in the wind (not making any excuses LOL), and had a 22/25. The loads shot great! This is another fine quality Downrange product! I will get to try them out on doubles @ Kentucky State!

11. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Just got done loading some more. I really like the way this Downrange DRF3 (12S3 replacement) loads. It is nice and smooth (no popping) when seated. All Downrange products load that smooth. I loaded 200 more for Doubles-2nd Shot and Handicap practice for KY State.

12. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Shot this load today for 2nd Shot in Doubles events. Inkspots and the wad loads great in Federal Gold Medals and Top Guns.

(270) 804-5454

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.