1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

True Trap Shooters?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bruce Specht, Sep 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

In order to be a "True Trap Shooter" do I have to shoot registired targets, or can i shoot just for the pure enjoyment and to improve my own best scores?

2. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

It's all in the mind of the dreamer !!

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Its whatever floats your boat. The ones that complain about the ATA this and ATA that and don't even shoot registered ATA rounds are the ones i can't handle. You shoot trap, you are a trap shooter.---Matt

4. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Bruce,

You've got to be able to spell it before you can shoot it.

5. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Before I can answer that one, I need someone to give me a definition of a False Trapshooter.

6. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Devi'
    It's someone who flinches when hitting the enter key.

Ed Yanchok

7. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Being true to oneself, is the only truth.....

8. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Fine with me if you don't shoot registered but don't argue the rules when you haven't even seen a rule book.

9. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Bruce,

There is no rule that says you have to shoot registered targets to be a True or Real Trapshooter because the definition of a True or Real Trapshooter is subjective at best ... I know Trapshooters who shot registered trap for years and now shoot games, skeet, sporting clays, 5 stand, or bunker just for the enjoyment of being out in the fresh air with friends having a good time a few days a week ... There is a club 14 miles away from my house that you cannot get on a trap on most weekends and on Weds morning because the place is filled with seniors who have shot trap, skeet, sporting clays, or done some sort of clay breaking for many years, subjectively those are the real shooters ... There is only a small percentage of targets thrown that are registered, the clubs would cease to exist if they depended on that amount of business ... Go shoot and have fun or don't shoot but have fun anyway ... Life is to short to worry about it ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

10. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Dang, that's the problem when you keep both of the thumbs too close to the touch pad. And that's why I have double releases on my combo.

11. Kyle Spieles

Kyle Spieles Member

its all about having fun. Do whatever makes you happy.

12. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

No, just a dabbler...

13. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Yukon, If you have to be a great shot to feel your a Trapshooter it's going to be a small crowd. Hopefully I'll still be pulling a trigger and experimenting with new thoughts no matter how bad I get. :) Enjoy, Bob

14. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Someone needs to learn how to spell "subtle" before he tries to use the word effectively.

15. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Well.. In my mind.. if you shoot trap.. you are a trapshooter.. If you can stand up to the pressure of a regestered event.. and not fold.. you are a TRUE trapshooter.. (to that I fail pretty bad).. I've done all sorts of things on a practice field.. I've not been able to muster in a real regestered event..or at least not enough to feel truly proud of myself.. So.. I live thru those I coach.. and help along the way.. I'm not really sure what that makes me.. All Good.. Mike

16. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

If you shoot Trap at any trap club and support the Trap shooting community by keeping the clubs open , Registered or not , you are a Trap Shooter . We are about 1/3 ATA members but 95% participation yearly is fun shooters . They are the ones that keep most clubs open .

17. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Spelling was never my strong point!

18. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

PBB Mike, YOU ARE the true trapshooter. More of us should try to do the same.

19. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I'm planning my comeback..I've got my weight down to 170 pounds and holding.. from 200 pounds.. I'm starting to do my gun lifts again.. I'm practicing my eye excercises.. I've started using a piece of surgical tubing on my barrel to my foot to build up what I use in my upper body to hold and swing a shotgun smoothly.. My crushed right hand is no better or worse than it's been..

IF I can successfully make a comeback.. I'll be able to guide alot of aging shooters how to stay in the game.. I guess FEAR.. is my biggest enemy.. The fear of failure.. I've got to get over my disaster in Alabama..when I shot with a ear infection.. My scores were so bad.. Neil was kind enough to call me personally to see if the score sheets were correct.. Then.. I was stupid enough to let Richard Luckett get into my head.. when he told me never again would I shoot as well as I did at the La. state shoot in 2006..

That's why you never see me telling anyone..his gun.. or he can't do it.. I'll leave names out of here.. but a well known and respected shooter told a friend of mine.. you can't shoot a canted gun.. Well.. he was a AA27AA shooter who now.. can't shoot a canted gun..

There's a whole bunch to being a trap shooter.. or for that matter.. Any kind of shooter.. Your mind.. and your focus must be flawless.. I hope I again can make the grade.. If not.. my love of the sport.. and the GREAT guys in it will always be close to my heart.. Again.. thanks for the kind words.. All Good.. Mike

20. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Respectfully, I would question the 33% ATA membership. From my observations, membership in the ATA would be a stretch at 10%.

We need to push for Clubs that offer trap to have a membership drive. I will promote a membership drive myself for my club for 2011.

Jay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.