1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

True Story I saved a baby chick

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, May 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

We bought 12 chicks for the kids and they kept them warm w/my stock bending heat lamp for 2 weeks then they built them a pen outdoors with 8 places to lay eggs when they got older.

They put them out and then at night they walked the plank up to there roost.

Well it got cold that night, I went over and fed and watered the chicks at 9:00am about 10:00am my son told me the kids saw one dead on the ground, I said they were alright an hour ago because I counted them, 6 reds and 6 blacks.

I had him get under the pen and get it and bring it to me, I started immeaditly squeezing it's breast, and put him iside my shirt and pressing it's braest, we went inside and I noticed it legs moved and I said a prayer to god to save this chicks life.

I took it home to my house all the while to my house pressing it's breast, it raised it's head and looked at me and laid it's head back down.

It was a warm sunny morning and the sun was coming in my bedroom french doors,
    I put the bird down in a bowl curled it up in the sun coming in my room, it moved and settled down. About 3 hours later it was up and eating chick feed and drinking water.

About 6:00pm baby chick is walking, walked to the bedroom door and was sitting down waiting for me.

Well I scooped it up and took it back to my grandkids, and I told them it's name is JC you can guess why. My grandson said it will be friends with his chicks Bumble Bee and Transformer.

They were glad it was ok, and it's doing well and it has been a week now.

My son wanted me to get rid of it so the kids would not see it dead, well as you can see a miracle happened w/a prayer, even for a baby chick.

I believe in miracles, even more now that I saw one happen.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

When the chick grows up and is properly grateful you can invite him for Sunday dinner.

HM

3. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Might want to get some Terramycin and put it in the water, when birds are young they are very susceptible to anything

4. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Seems as tho you just liked squeezing the breast on the young chick.

Ya did good tho. Proud of ya for trying.

GneJ

5. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Great story Gary!

milt

6. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

So whens dinner?

7. john g.

john g. TS Supporters TS Supporters

Gary

You feel it Miracles do happen!

Buying 12 chicks is a great learning experience for your kids.I was in Corp.life but have a hobby farm and my kids were in 4-H.Carring for a living thing, teaches kids some hard facts about life and death that will stay with them forever.
    I think this will make them a better person for the rest of there life.

Bless you and your family

john g.

8. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Thanks to all for you responses, I could not eat my pet chicken when I was growing up.

Gary

9. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

But, could ya have eaten the eggs it laid?

10. crusha

crusha TS Member

I know BIGDON is probaby out strangling baby Ducks right now.

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    View attachment 214336

Rescued this hummer one winter during an ice storm. He was on top of a snow drift trying to get warm against the house. fed him until the storm was over, then released him.

12. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

One Christmas Eve, while driving home close to midnight, I had something fly out of a storm drain and into the car. I turned around to see what it was and found a screech owl laying on the side of the road. It was still alive but unable to move so rather then leave it there in the cold to die, I emptied out a beer box on the back seat, placed the owl in it and brought it home, hoping to be able to do more Christmas morning.

The next morning the cats were both sitting in front of the box,staring at it as cats do. A look inside the box was greeted by the owl standing up and looking back at me. I took the owl outside and released him. It was one of the so-called "rufous" (red) color phases and reminded me of a miniature version of great horned owl. I thought it was a good way to start Christmas morning.

13. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

I once saved a "chick". One cold winter day I saw a chick beside the road, her car was out of gas so I stopped. I tried to take her home to warm up but she insisted that I take her to a gas station instead. Took her back to her car and she flew away.

Don

14. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Miracles do happen and you are going to need another one in Ohio

15. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Funny Buzz.

16. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    You won't see that story on Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom, that's for sure.

17. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Many years ago, my father was complaining about the mess my little brother's Easter chick was making on the back porch( no longer a chick). My great Aunt Hortense overheard the conversation, she was living with us at the time, and was a professional cook for the school system. Mom, Dad, bro and I went off to church that Sunday morning, and when we returned, Sunday dinner was ready. A beautiful platter of fried chicken was on the table, and I dove in. Suddenly, my little brother thought about his pet chicken and checked the back porch. He figured it out, we were about to dine on his pet, started to cry. Mom and Dad were sympathetic, so Sunday dinner was gathered up, including the piece that I was eating, and a burial ceremony was held in the backyard! Aunt Horty thought we were all nuts, and I agreed with her!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.