1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

True or False on POI and Shell Speed

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Nov 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

We are talking strictly Handicap shooting, preferably from the 27 yard line.

Should you change POI strictly for certain shell speeds?

Do you need a higher POI for 1145fps Vs 1250fps w/same sight picture?

Do you adjust your POI for your shells? And why?

Here is what I have found over the years, I used to shoot only 2 3/4 dram shells on everything from 16yd to Hdcp when I started shooting in 1968, my reload was 18 Grs Green Dot 1 1/8th oz #8s and I strictly loaded AA shells w/
    AA wads.

As I became more profecient of seeing the target and shooting faster, as in before the target peaked, I needed a higher POI.

Now I strictly shot this load for over 20 years, some buddy shooters would not shoot w/me because my shells were too slow.

Green Dot became hard to get, I heard the plant burned down, so I started loading 700-x through the same bushing, that alone changed my load from 1145 to 1200+ fps higher pressures and more felt recoil.

So I changed to RED DOT powder and a #33Mec bushing dropping 18.5 grs now I am still at 1200fps. And I am shooting targets quicker, in otherwards I am seeing them quicker and I am shooting faster, but not as fast as Britt Robinson but quite fast. The higher POI was working OK.

Now I am going to progress another 10 years to 1988 same shells but different powders, Solo 1000 and Solo 1250 used the Solo 1000 for singles and Solo 1250 for Hdcps and first shot in Buddies. This reduced felt recoil and speeds were OK

When I first loaded the Solo 1250 for Hdcps I won a lot more Handicap events
    I loved shooting Solo 1250 in the STS type of hull w/ Windjammer wads which
    gave me a better pattern, softer felt recoil. I was shooting 23.5 grs Solo1250
    @1250 fps approx 8500psi w/Windjammer wad.

But also at this same time there was problems with the Solo 1000 powder and it was on recall, they sent me replacement powder, I only used it in practice shells and stayed W/Solo1250.

With the Solo1250 Powder I was shooting an 18" high POI w/my new Silver Seitz Gun w/high shooting fixed rib #2 1/2 hi shooting rib. Now this si my personal opinion on the Silver Seitz it was the first gun I picked up that felt like a
    Model 12, it was that feel that posessed me to buy it. I had never before hit targets so hard from the 27 yd line with a gun as I did w/this Silver Seitz.

I became so comfortable w/ a POI of 18" in approx 2002 and have stayed with it.

Like I fool I sold that gun and have shot a CG and now a Blaser,

But POI and your speed of shell, W/a gun that fits you and YOUR SIGHT PICTURE
    that you shoot will give you high scores/All must match your style.

PM me w/any questions you might have.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Does your gun hold point change from 16 to 27? How much if so, in feet.

3. Dr.Longshot

What I have done since retiring and w/loe income, I am now shooting PROMO powder
    and 800-X for line loads and use LONGSHOT for shoot-offs.

PROMO is slightly lower pressures than RED DOT and is Alliants Best Selling Powder.

800-X will give you lower pressures on 1250 fps shells, I use 22.7 grs w/1 1/8th oz/Orange WT-12 Wad/ Rio Primer@9600psi. This is a very very good Hdcp
    Load. In Remington STS hull.

My all around load is 19 Grs PROMO, Windjammer Wad, 1 1/8th oz shot, Rio Primer
    Remington STS hull.

A good hull load once and throw away is the TOP GUN w/above load works well on hdcp,doubles, singles., Good uniform pattern and CHEAP.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

I don't load many AA shells anymore.

4. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

Shot has the same ballistics as bullets, the charge starts to fall the instant the projectil leaves the muzzle. Therefore, the faster the projectial the less drop at a given distance. Having a higher point of impact could well be a factor of speed and point of aim(not POI).

My TMX is faster moving than my MX 10, I raise my comb 3/32 on my MX 10 for 27 yd.s.

5. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

ok, everybody wake-up

6. chikeneyes

chikeneyes TS Member

you could also consider Trigger speed as the new super fast trigger can handle higher poi

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

some buddy shooters would not shoot w/me because my shells were too slow.

That is one expaination.....

8. WCR

WCR TS Member

Dr. shot
    How many seconds does it take for the shot string to travel from the 27 yard line to the target if targets are broken at an average of 35 yards. Using 1145 fps. load and 1200 fps. loads. With the target speed set at about 42 mph.

9. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

1145 and 1255, 40 yards, and remember, the target is not static.

10. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

You are a hard man wolfram! Tom Rhoads

11. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Just remember he was at a Buddy shoot in Kentucky Weds and it didn't get over with until after midnight. The poor man is really tired. Of course he must of lost or he would have told us of all his great loads and the wins.

Don

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The answers to the questions above can change depending upon the height of the rib on your gun. HMB

13. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

scooterbum....4". Does a bead block out 4" of space at 45 yards?

Hint....more.

14. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

15. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

close enough.

16. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Dr.Cuckoo,

Why did you indicate you want to sell your Blaser Combo in the "Any blaser combos for sale?" thread. I thought it was the new answer to everything..

http://www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/sthread.cfm?threadid=269888&Messages=20#1096980

17. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Nope, trapboy....

18. Sportshot

Sportshot Active Member

I don't get it either Big M? (how many feet higher do you hold over the trap house at 27 than you do at 16?). At 16 I am very aware of hold height, at handicap (24) not so aware at all... Answer is?

Gary - two questions, why don't you load AA hulls, and what's wrong now with Green Dot, it is my current haidicap powder, closer to 3 drams though.

MIA, that "Wake Up" was perfectly timed and funny as hell!

POI shell speed, true if rifle shooting, false with shotguns unless you have some of those 1400 fps 24 gram Olympic shells.

True or false: would they be illegal at handicap?

19. Sportshot

Sportshot Active Member

I know Jr. - a new thread should be started on this subject. We don't talk enough about TRAP SHOOTING on this site anymore, like we used to. It's like a damn flea market, daytime reality show on here anymore.... have you noticed???

thanks for the info hwever.

Sportshot.

20. Dr.Longshot

I did shoot the big buddy shoot in Ky finished 3rd w/ a lot of other shooters I
    missed the last bird pick up, If I had broken it would have been 2nd place, I bought a box of Golden Pheasants w/ 1/3/8ths oz Copper shot at 1485 fps for $13.99+tax, did not break one target w/them, my son using same load by Winchester inkballed them but on my shot I never broke a target w/them, I finally shot my 1 1/8th oz # 6s w/33.5 grs longshot I broke a target, but by then was out of the competetion.

What I learned shoot what you normally shoot, you are better off.

I was tired as I finally got home about 4:00am had to stop and buy some Oysters on the way home for Thanksgiving, I make a good Oyster dressing.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.