1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

True Dedication to the Sport

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by grntitan, Oct 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

My son and the teams from the Southern Illinois area had their monthly SCTP trap shoot this morning. When the awards ceremony was over and i was making my way to the door i noticed a familar face sitting in the back overlooking. I had to take a double take as i couldn't believe my eyes Gary Nelson(Mr. Charles as we know him) was able to make it. The most amazing thing of this story was a friend of his had picked him up from the hospital ,where he had his surgery for colon cancer Monday, and Gary insisted that he go to the WSRC to watch the kids shoot instead of going home to relax. He was pale as a ghost but you could see he was feeling good just to be around the kids that he takes so much pride in coaching. He truely is a man dedicated to the sport and making sure plenty of kids find it as well. We've missed you Gary and glad to see you fighting to get back at it. Hang tough buddy.---Matt Parker

2. JRW

JRW Member

Gary that is above and beyond the call of duty. Take care of yourself get well and back to shooting. Jerry

3. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Sir, (Mr.Charles)

You will be remembered in our prayers, may the Good Lord watch over you as you have watched over others ... Try to stay strong and get well real soon, this world needs more people like you ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

4. Mr. Charles

Mr. Charles Member

Matt,

It was so nice to see you and your son and all of the other kids yesterday. I was totally worn out. I went to bed at 10:pM and slept until 9:AM this morning.

mc

5. Mr. Charles

Mr. Charles Member

Mat,

It's been a long time and now I guess I'll tell you the truth You'll probably get a laugh out of this.

I had my surgery on a Monday, The SCTP shoot was the following Sat. The surgeon was a great person, but he said he couldn't release me until Monday. He wouldn't budge.

I told him there was no Options, I was going. I started un-hooking IV's and they talked me into holding off until the surgeon got there. He said, "You are serious about going." I said: "Serious as a heart attack" He finally released me. I told him I was walking out the building at 11:AM. I did. Nothing was going to stop me. He was rushing to get me some pain medication before I left.

It was going to delay me so I told him to mail it to me..

Talk about a Hard Head!!! I could have used a little that day but perseverance prevailed.

Would I do that trick again? Well after thinking about it, hell yes I would...

Contact me, I haven't heard from you since your surgery.

mc

6. Newfoundlander

Newfoundlander Member

Mr. Charles , that is the kind of spirit that will see you through this hurdle you are encountering..

One would think that you were a fighting Newfoundlander , they had lots of spirit..

Keep up the great work and dedication,

God Bless and hopefully one day we may meet..

Robert Appleby

( Newfoundlander )

7. Landshark

Landshark Member

I was having a semi-crappy morning until I read this. Thanks for making my day!

8. 4EVRYOUNG

4EVRYOUNG Member

Good Luck Mr Charles never meet you but I can tell you are a class act! Best of luck I am sure the kids were glad to see you as well stay around the young they keep you that way. Jeff

9. Mr. Charles

Mr. Charles Member

Landshark,

I can only tell you that my experience has given me a new outlook and appreciation on life.

When I wake of a morning and look out the window, I always see a beautiful day.

I walk around the things that I have no control of and dwell on improving those things that I do have some control over.

mc

10. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

Hi Gary.

I enjoy getting the updates on how your teams are doing. Keep up the great work you are doing with those kids.

God Bless.

Terry.

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

This is the second GREAT thread I've read today!! What's this site coming to?

Mr.Charles,(G.N.) here's to wishing nothing but the best of health in your future and doing what you love!!

Hap

12. Mr. Charles

Mr. Charles Member

Thanks guys, it's people like my trapshooting friends and the youth that keep me going.

State shoot tomorrow, hope all holds out well..

mc

13. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Speaking of tough old birds - here are three with about 160 years of trapshooting experience between them - still meeting to help direct the good of the sport.

That's X.E.(Bus)Durant on the left, at 87, Past President of the ATA, HOF enshrine, long time head of the Central Handicap Committee and still spending his weekends at trapshoots. Bus just bought a new car and demanded an extended warranty so we know he plans to be around for a long time to come.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.