1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

True character of a gun club

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Flybob71, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flybob71

Flybob71 TS Member

Let me preface this by saying I hardly post on this site, but heavily monitor the treads. I just started getting back into trapshooting after a 9 year lay-off. Today, I went to my local gun club, Groundswipers in Lacey, NJ. I renewed my ATA Membership and shot the Big 50 16 yd. targets, my first registered targets since 2001. I got caught up in reminescing and BS'ing and left the gun club with my Remington 1187 Sporting Clays in the rack. I got about 15 minutes away before I realized it and turned around. I didn't go speeding back as I had no doubt that it would still be there, and low and behold, it was in the rack right where I left it! Then as I was breaking it down, I got to talking for a few more minutes.
    I can tell you this: Whenever I go to any of my gun clubs, I pull in, leave the keys in the ingnition, and my gun in my truck or in the rack, and I never give it a second thought that things will still be there as I left them. I wouldn't leave my truck in front of my house or in the Wawa parking lot without putting my gun inside the cab and locking the truck. It just shows the true character of a gun club and the people who frequent them! Thanks!!!!! Bob Kulpa

2. birddogs46

birddogs46 Active Member

you betcha, finest group of people anywhere, even some of the ones that are sometimes cranky, it really ain't about winning or losing, it's the folks, that are involed in our wonderful sport of shooting...dk

3. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Your right Bob. Glad to see you back shooting, enjoy it while we can. Bob

4. Flybob71

Flybob71 TS Member

I will enjoy it! I got back into it because my son is turning 9 in July and according to my wife, that's when he can start shooting a real gun! LOL!! Things have changed like the price of a practice round ($5), and availability of reloading supplies. Still great people though!

5. addictedtotrap

addictedtotrap Member

Same kind of folks at Edwardsburg in MI... Father and Son from out of town left their 2 shotguns in the rack and left.. we found them placed them in the safe INSIDE and waited for them to return..
    Great people...

6. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

When my wife 1st started shooting trap with me (and the usual suspects), we parked at the club and as we left the vehicle she asked if I locked the truck because her purse was in it. I laughed then told her that this was a gun club and the thought of theft didn't compute. She caught on quick and now fully understands the integrity of shooters.

Curt

7. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I typically leave my tailgate and my cargo area storage organizer wide open for easy access... shells, cleaning equipment, glasses, plugs - all in plain sight and everything is always where I left it.

regards all,

Jay

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Very common at most gun clubs to see $10K shotguns sitting in open cases in the back of a truck with owners off elsewhere BSing. These are the kind of places you want to be at.

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't bet my gun on it.

Our club is open to the public. Any Joe can drive in and park their car in the lot.

We had a case of shells stolen off a guy's tailgate at trap league night a year or so ago.

If i'm not near the car, I lock it.

10. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I totally agree with timb99. It's not the other shooters I don't trust, it's the non-shooters that frequently cruise the larger gun clubs looking for just such an opportunity to make off with a high dollar gun and/or equipment. Smaller clubs, however, just don't seem to experience the same things larger clubs do. The easier the access, the easier it is to make off with it. I don't leave my gun on the rack when I'm not shooting. I prefer to put it in the SUV where I know it's going to be reasonably safe. I just don't want to risk it because I don't want to go through all the hassle of trying to replace my gun due to my own inability to protect it... Dan Thome (Trap2)

11. Flybob71

Flybob71 TS Member

I'm sure there's been isolated incidents and you're right, it's not the other shooters. I guess anyone could wander in and take something but for the most part, the shooters are as honest as the day is long.

12. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

A few years ago we had one mature shooter who fel his wallet was stolen put up a big fuss but couldn't remember where he had last seen it. About a month or so later another member came back. He found the walletwhen he opened the tailgate between the tailgate and the bed of his truck.

13. elinvar

elinvar Member

we used to leave coolers full of soda and beer outside our camper till last year- Somebody (probably young trap help) stole all our beer- coolers and all from our campsite. Now the beer stays in ths camper- Maybe I will get some red white and blue and leave it out for them to steal.
    TJ

14. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

Problems are far and few between, but....

Last summer 'someone' decided to trade their Red Label for a 682. I'm not sure that caper was ever solved.

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

Sorry, I misread the title of this thread-- I thought it was characters at a gun club, not the character of a gun club.

Pat Ireland

16. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

That's Earl's thread you're looking for Pat. Don's still trying to understand what you said. I've forgotten the term you used one time because I never looked it up. My ignorance.

17. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

I have no problem leaving my car unlocked and my gun in the rack at my home club and the other local clubs I shoot at. But, when attending a large shoot at a big club, you have to pay attention to your stuff. Seems that the area riff raff has learned that trapshooters are trusting people and there may be some high dollar goodies around for the taking.

Rich in Indiana

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

true as a gun