1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Truck Wheel Weights Lead Ingots -Trade for shot

Discussion in 'Want to Buy/Trade Threads' started by marotta, May 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marotta

marotta Member

0   0   0

I have 3 - 5 gallon pails of lead ingots formed in muffin tins.

Anyone interested in trading them for 7 1/2 shot?

New England area.

2. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

0   0   0

If they were truly made from the big truck wheel weights, they can contain some babbit metal which will really screw up a shot maker. Been there done that.

Jeff

3. skeezix

skeezix Member

0   0   0

I don't know if anyone here has followed the saga of DeadBirdShot on this forum. The owner is trying to get a lead-for-shot business going. He has had severe financial problems getting his business off of the ground - but I understand he is making headway. He is only doing lead-for-shot trades now and is not accepting purchas orders for shot until he can get caught up with his backlog. I believe he will take your lead, drop it, and send you half back.

you can reach him through his website http://www.deadbirdshot.com/

just a thought.

John

4. marotta

marotta Member

0   0   0

Thanks I'll get in touch with him.

5. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I agree with those comments on "truck" weights. They do make a mess! You can usually tell when babbit is present by looking at the ingots. If babbit is in the mix there will be a scale buildup on the top of the ingot that is a dead give away.The babbit will float to the top of the molten material and solidify there. Pure lead and wheel weights will be relayively smooth on all sides when cooled.

6. Doug Mc

Doug Mc TS Member

0   0   0

Babbit will create a purple skim on top when lead is in the molten state .... stay clear of any large truck wheel weights ... if you get ever get this in your ladle you will need to remove your drippers and give them a good cleaning ... which is a hassle

7. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

0   0   0

Never buy ingots if you make shot I said NEVER buy raw ONLY the zinc ones will do same as truck ones do and It takes about 2 hrs to clean the shot maker

8. Chipmaker

Chipmaker Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I dont know why the zinc based new stayle weights are such a problem for you guys> Lead melts at 631F and zinc at 788F. when I'm pre processing my lead they clearly float on top of the lead/ tin alloy in the pot and get scooped out with the clips easily. If your running hot enough to melt those zinc weights your way over temp anyway. I processed into bars over 3000lbs and still have about 2000 to go and I dont have any problems with them.

9. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

0   0   0

My experience with trading ingots for shot ended very badly once. Consider the following if you are thinking about becoming a home shot maker for money......

After being burned once and having a guy out enjoying a good quantity of my shot and getting stuck with a bunch of his contaminated lead ingots and a broken down shotmaker, I had to change my lead exchange policy. I will make your shot out of your lead only. Just like at the deer processor. You get your deer back and not a mix of everyone elses (At least that's how mine does it). THere is a 50/50 split if you give me wheelweights, 60/40 if you give me ingots. You get the 60. I will not trade you already made shot for your lead ingots or wheelweights. Weight of split on wheelweights is after they are processed into ingots not the weight you drop off or send me. So if you send me 100 pounds of weights, don't expect 50 pounds of shot back. There is about 15% loss average on wheelweights during the smelting process and getting higher all the time as more places start to use Zn and Fe weights. If your lead ingots screw up my shot maker, I sell your lead to the local scrap yard to finance a new set of drippers for my shotmaker so I can make shot for the other folks who sent me their lead. No problems since going to this policy. Most folks now opt to let me process their weights for them now.

Once you have a good system, you can make a lot of good quality shot in fairly short order and have a fairly steady client base. One bad batch of lead can shut you down for a week or more unless you have a complete spare set of drippers in house ready to swap out.

JK

10. leadman

leadman TS Member

0   0   0

7 years ago I encountered the lead contamination problem. That is when I first began pre-sorting my wheel weights. Things have gone smoothly since, until I finaly installed my first set of new drippers in that time. Half way through their virgin run, the purple sheen /skim showed up and they slowed right down

How could I be so unlucky as to have that problem come back just when I put a new set in? Has anyone devised a strategy for rehabilitating drippers and ladels? Drippers are not exactly cheap.

11. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

The cleaner/punch tool that Jim includes with his shotmaker doesn't help clear the drippers? That is what I thought the tool was for. Jackie B.

12. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

0   0   0

Been dropping shot for 15 years, same set of littelton drippers I started with, if my dripping slows down I hit the drippers with a little heat from a propane torch or tap the ladle with a screwdriver..works everytime..

13. leadman

leadman TS Member

0   0   0

I don't have the cleaner punch tool. (is that a torch tip cleaner?)

Standard tapping and heat will not work. At the very least drippers have to be removed and mechanicaly cleaned. Unless, anyone knows a better approach. thanks for the input

14. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

The one I got with my shotmaker is a rod with a wooden handle and the end of the rod is bent and cut down to the size of the inner opening of the dripper. I have never used it but saw Jim use them on shotmakers when I visited him. If a dripper slowed down he would stick it in that dripper from the molten lead side and it would go back to a fast rate of drop. He indicated that the cleanness and quality of lead would affect the drippers that way and would occasionally have to punch it out with the tool. Jackie B.

15. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

REALLY OLD wheel weights were the best. I recently got 600 pounds of weights from my local tire dealers. Didn't know that the newer weights were USELESS. I tried to melt them the way I used to.... over a propane flame in a cast iron pot...this used to work fine and pretty soon I had a lot of molten lead which I just skimmed and removed the steel clips. The 600 pounds of weights took FOREVER to melt and some never did. I did a little research and realized the the later wheel weights were junk and not worth the trouble. Sold what little lead I got melted and tossed the rest. Simply put if you are relying on wheel weights to made uncontaminated ingots you are wasting your time if you are using current production weights.

16. leadman

leadman TS Member

0   0   0

Thanks for the additional input. Ok, the knockout tool, I have not got, and have been using an awl or sometimes an apropriately sized drill bit for that purpose. Reaming the open/molten end of the dripper to speed it back up.

For the dripping end, I was looking for any shortcut to get me past the current predicament. Had been looking to by pass the painstaking task of cleaning the drippers mechanicaly after the inconvenient task of removing them from the ladles. Since I am dealing with a double ladle 220 unit I was faced with twice the work.

As I mentioned earlier, one set was brand new, and on it's first run. The other set had been freshly cleaned, (mechanicaly), which helps you further understand why I was hoping to avoid an encore.

I did remove both sets, and put them through the full treatment. It was easy (cleaning out the drip hole), since both sets were perfectly clean before the one session they got used for.

Regarding the modern wheel weights we might have available for use, it is all about selectivity and temp. control. Sort out the zinc, steel, tape on weights and truck weights. Then keep the pot below the melting temp for zinc, and you will probably be ok. Otherwise, you are looking for trouble.

17. leadman

leadman TS Member

0   0   0

He he...just got the results of the first run after this second dripper cleaning. each ladle averaged 73#'s per hour. I will confess that 2 double drippers were included per ladle. What a difference a cleaning can make.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

purple sheen on top of my lead pot