1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Truck Vault

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by apmech23, Dec 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apmech23

apmech23 TS Member

Hey Guys and Gals, looking into truck vault, sliding drawer systems for my F150. Kind of looking into turning it into my trapshooting mobile, complete with slide out drawers, just curious what your opinion of them are, if you have them, and what you like/dislike about them? I would be keeping my trap gun and accessories locked inside. The bed has a topper and is already carpeted and floor to ceiling with a custom carpet system. Thanks for any comments, happy holidays....its almost shooting season!!!

2. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Do yourself a favor and contact Ron Ainley at 563-583-7615, Dubuque IA
    www.ainleykennels.com. They will build anything you want, and they are priced better than Truck Vault. Made from steel and aluminum, no particle board!!

3. captin

captin TS Member

EuroJoe is telling ya right JMO, you will like these alum/steel ones much better.

Just remember it will wear out more than one vehicle. You might want to think about having it made to fit in amother smaller or larger vehicle you may get later on.

Been there done that.

4. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Being put off by the nearly $4,000 price tag of a truck vault, although very nice; I had one built by a local cabinetmaker in the Shippensburg, PA area, with deluxe everything for a little over $1,000. I can provide a phone number if you'd like and photos. It goes right to the top of the wheel wells and provides a flat, carpeted surface for the entire bed area, with 2 fully extendable drawers. It comes apart with the removal of 4 screws and can be taken out by a single person.

best...mike

5. JPettengill

JPettengill TS Member

I bought my truck vault in 1999, and it wore out that pickup in 2006 and seamlessly moved right into a Silverado, that now has 100,000 miles on it.
    I guess that box has about 250,000 miles on it, and other than some dirty carpet will be ready for the next truck, if this truck wears out.
    Jim

6. Buster 25

Buster 25 Member

Morning Folks

If a person is a bit handy, Build your own Vault.

I did, I am extremely pleased with the result...It did take a week to complete.

The total end cost was less then $175.00 this was three years ago.

Good Luck.

7. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

The guys who own them - can afford and needed permanent lockable storage seem to be very happy with them... I just needed something to house my stuff, while the grandkids car seats... then strollers, bikes and backpacks got thrown into the cargo area without having to move my stuff out or have it get damaged... its all unlocked-type storage, but only cost $45 and weekend...

spitter_2008_030351.jpg

spitter_2008_030352.jpg

There is a small piece of hardboard with a cleat that can take a few case of shells in the left compartment... you can see the big money I spent using a plumbing gasket as a grommet for the finger holes (lol)... its now almost three years old and still doing its job...

Best regards,

Jay

8. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

I'm with spitter and Buster, I have virtually no carpentry talent, but was able to make my own (functional and serviceable) out of a few pieces of lumber, plywood and carpet remnant for minimal cost. Vaults offer little security protection...I would not leave any valuables overnight in a pickup bed in a "vault". Regards, Ed

9. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

Very cool, Jay. I've been contemplating something like this for my Dodge Magnum. I like the wagon a lot and it would be convenient to leave my gear on board instead of the constant loading and unloading. My only modification might be the addition of legs to bring the lower lip up to the level of the rear gate. With the back seats down I have over five feet of length - with a width or 39 inches.

Thanks for posting the pictures.

Larry

10. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

I looked into a Truck Vault - even had them send me a quote. As I recall, it was over $2500 and was not a stock size. I called a friend who had a local carpenter make one for him a few years ago. To my surprise, my friend had gotten a different car and the box wouldn't fit the new car, so he asked me if I'd be interested in buying it. I drove to his house, measured the box and bought it on the spot, for a lot less than the Truck Vault.

Here are 2 pix. The 2 upper drawers will each hold a gun case up to 38" long. Middle lower drawer is for storing misc stuff - eye and ear protection, extra shirt, light jacket etc. The outer compartments on either side of the lower area will each hold 3 cases of shells. Drawers lock with a key. I added slide bolts to the shell drawers - the drawers would slide open when I accelerated or close when I braked due to the shell boxes weight. The entire box is made from 3/4" plywood, heavy duty drawer slides and, as you can see, it fits perfectly.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

sseitz007_2008_010423.jpg

sseitz007_2008_010410.jpg

11. d.delph

d.delph TS Member

Apmech23 You have a PM.

12. n4

n4 TS Member

I have an Orvis gun vault for sale that is perfect for what you want to do. Email me and I will give you the details.

13. n4

n4 TS Member

I did not leave my email address for the Orvis Gun Vault lou@spada.com

14. apmech23

apmech23 TS Member

Thanks for your opinions everyone! Looking at a couple different options, but in the end, just might hit the drawing board and design and build exactly what i want.

15. dphillips8191

dphillips8191 Member

I bought a weatherguard tool box called a pack rat. I put a piece of foam rubber in it and it holds 2 shotguns, ammo and all my equipment. You can lock it and it's very solid. They run about $900.

16. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I sold the full length Truk-Cault out of my Suburban to Mike in Winnona MN for $300.

It probably had 5,000 miles on it.

17. Ernroe

Ernroe Member

2 DRAWER TRUCK VAULT for SUV. Top of the line storage unit made by Truck Vault, www.truckvault.com. Meausures 44" x 34" x 8" tall. Bought new in 2000 and used it an M class MB. Excellent condition, sell for $350 803-360-7654 eashby@sc.rr.com

I pd $900 for this unit in 2000 plus freight from Oregon. If you live within a reasonable driving distance of SC this would be a good deal for you but it is not feasible to ship secondary to the cost.

Ernie Ashby

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

build your own truck vault

how much is truckvault for f150
single drawer truck vault for seale
truck cault

truck vault for sale

truck vault used

truckvault for sale

used truck vault for sale