1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Truck Tires

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Jimborn, Sep 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimborn

Jimborn TS Member

I have a Ford F-150, 1999, high milage, runs great, but needs new tires. Cut the chase, what do I want???? Live in Western Nebraska and much is off road stuff, not a lot of long highway stuff. Would like something a little aggressive. What do I want? What is on it now is 245/75R/16 M/S. What are your thoughts Need them NOW!!! Thanks Jim

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Nitto Trail Grapplers.
    [​IMG]

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Toyo 10 ply AT .

They will make that pickup drive like new and you won't get flats. Good all purpose tread suitable for your application.

Shop for them on the internet - most outfits will ship them to you for free and also save you about 40% off big name tire shop prices.

4. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

On line may be cheaper for the initial purchase price but keep this in mind. They arrive at your home now you need to find someone to mount and balance them. Do you take a raw burger to MC Donals and ask them to cook it for you? Who stands behind the product when you have a problem the " on-line" warehouse not with out you shaving the tire taken off and sent back and your left on three wheels. Look on line get some prices and fitment but by from a local tire dealer not mass mercahndiser but a dealer. I'd look at the Copper line of products.

5. Anthony.L

Anthony.L Member

BFG All Terrains, best truck tire I've ever owned, on or off the road.

6. wolfram

Believe it or not, most any tire shop will mount and balance your tires and they do that work for the same price that you pay when you buy tires from them - this service work is a separate line item - normally $15/tire. You can also save the disposal fee by hauling your old tires to a recycler.

When it comes to warrantee, it is the tire manufacturer that provides this - not the vendor. In the case of TOYOs I did have one sidewall failure (rock cut)which I took into Les Schwab who replaced the tire free of charge to me and then they collected on a warrantee refund - I made it known up front that I didn't buy the tires from Les Schwab. You don't think the tire retailers cover the warrantee costs out of their own pocket do you?

But even if there wasn't a manufacture's guarantee, the price differential between internet wholesale and local retail would cover replacement of at least two tires during the life of the set.

7. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

By all means buy them off the internet! Maybe next time you need your local shop for something they won't be there. Then you can get back on the internet to get that flat fixed. :) My opinion, Bill

8. mcneeley5

mcneeley5 Member

I buy my skid steer and tractor tires off of the internet as they have free shipping and are fully 1/2 (or more)less than any local retailer. BUT I buy truck tires from my Sears store as they service very well.

9. doubleman

doubleman Member

I've got Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs on my 4x4 Silverado and am very happy with them. They are fairly aggressive and have only a mild hum on the highway, and are exellent in the mud and snow. I live in Canada and we get about five months of snow in my area. At present my tires have about 40,000 miles on them and are about half way to the wear bars.
    Regards
    Mike

10. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

I got 45,000 from Toyota Mud terrain. Best on/off tire I have had and very little road noise too!

11. APrice

APrice Active Member

There's Michelin....then there is everything else.

12. HDLLLIII

HDLLLIII Member

Google Tread Depot, lower pricing than Tire Rack and they will ship to your home or to an authorized tire dealer they approve of nearest you to have install performed. You will likely save $100-175 over a local tire shop. My .02. Larry Lockhart

13. AHC

AHC TS Member

What about those pesky tire sensors that the installers never guarantee will work once their done? Does that concern anyone other than me? Anyone buy tires online and take them to the dealer to be installed ( i wont buy tires from the dealer)
    AHC

14. mx2005

mx2005 TS Member

Take a look at the yokohoma Geolanders check them out on there website. I am thinking about them for my expedition.

15. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Wolfram, don't know where your at but I was in the business for 30 years and we always cahrged an additonal fee to mount product brought to us by a customer.

16. dhip

dhip Active Member

Goodyear ATS

Run them on my Dodges,They are considered slightly agrresive,as you asked for.Ones pictured in post above look more than slightly aggressive to me.

Wife's 99 Dodge still has them on it after factory tires gave up in 2000.Tread still looks good.

Doug H.

17. wolfram

No Bruce,

They don't charge me extra and I am a decent customer for them even if I do bring my own truck tires to their shop. I always give them an opportunity to quote a set of tires and I tell them that I am going to shop the price. Sometimes they are competitive (car tires in particular) sometimes they aren't.

Sorry but I just can't bring myself to pay an extra $100 per tire just because you think I have some kind of responsiblity to keep the tire shop solvent.

Lets take the word tire out of this and insert the words reloading components or ammo - do you feel the need to go into a big name retailer and pay top dollar for reloading components/ammo or do you shop around for better deals?

18. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

If you purchase on line you must find a tire dealer who will mount and balance the new tires, he will charge you a fee which might offset the price you pay.
    Choose the tires you want,shop around for a price for the tires, mounting,balancing disposal and future service.
    I have found the BGGoodrich, all-terrain tire to be the one tire, on the highway at 75 MPH, the hum is not too bad, slower it gets reduced, very good on blacktop and concrete in the rain,in mud season like any tire of that kind beware, snow and ice almost very good, soft snow excellent, wet grass, gravel,all the rest great,sand easy. I got great mileage of course 20% highway, best of all, my dear wife could not,NOT, destroy them when parking near a curb. I used them on my Jeep wrangler and on my Toyota Land Cruiser, on the LC first set got 73K miles, 2nd set 62K more highway, 3rd set still going.

19. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

New tires are such a racket. I swear all of the tire shops are in it together. I can get tires at cost through a friend and the difference is considerable.

I asked a local tire dealer how he felt about tire rack and the like.He loves it when people bring tires in for him to mount from online. Doesn't have to buy them or store them or try to find em.

20. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

My local tire shop encouraged me to shop my own tires and bring them in. I asked them several years ago about them getting a specific tire they didn't carry. They told me it would be cheaper for me to buy them online at a tire warehouse then to have them hunt 'em down at a reasonable price. They charge the same mount, balance and disposal charge they do on tires purchased there. No extra charge added. They actually advertise their price for bring in tires. They still make money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.