1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Truck Extended Warrenty Plan

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by ken1okie, Dec 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken1okie

ken1okie Active Member

Could anyone suggest an extended warrenty plan that can beat the dealer prices???

2. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Are you asking about a manufactures extended warranty, or a aftermarket one? The cost of a manufactures warranty is negotiable and varies from one dealer to another. You also have to be very careful if you choose a aftermarket plan, because there are dozens if not hundreds of flim flam companies.

3. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Save your money

4. Kevin Nelson

Kevin Nelson Member

95% of aftermarket warranty plans are a Joke. Save you money. The normal factory warranty plans are all you normally need. The dealers make their money on selling extended warrantys and acserories (Spelling sucks).

5. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Ken, I too say keep your money and don't buy a extended plan. Buy the truck with the best warrenty to start with. I'd look at Toyota or something other than the big 3 first and go from there. Kia and Hundi have 100,000 mile bumper to bumper at "no cost" at this time. Not sure what types of trucks they have though. Good Luck and break em all Jeff

6. ken1okie

ken1okie Active Member

Truck is question is 2010 F250 Superduty which has 16,515 on the clock.
    It still has some factory warrenty left but being my first diesel(other than my lawn mower) I thought I'd explore the extended warrenty. I had a Ford dealer give me a outrageous quote.

7. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Unless you have no knowledge of a first rate technician that you can trust, an extended warranty is a waste of money!

8. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Ken1okie, I have the same truck as you, your warranty is 3 year/36,000 bumper to bumper 5 year/60,000 powertrain, 5 year/100,000 mile diesel engine. read your warranty brochure.

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Do NOT buy an aftermarket extended warranty plan. They are Ponzi schemes. Pure and simple.

10. Reinz

Reinz Member

Twenty years ago I ran a boat dealership. We doubled our cost on ext warranties.

I have been told that car dealers make even more than that now.

Knowing this, when I bought my Dodge Ram, I negotiated down to half their asking price then I added $100. I fiqured they needed to make something. It's all gravy for them.

11. ken1okie

ken1okie Active Member

Thanks guys for all your help!

12. englishupland

englishupland Member

I used warranty direct and although they fought me a bit they did cover a fairly substantial repair

13. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Ponzi schemes- that's funny since Ponzi schemes are investments where the investor expects to make a profit. Extended "warranties" aren't warranties at all- what they are is mechanical breakdown insurance policies.

There are many factors to consider when contemplating buying one of these products and what be right for frick won't necessarily be right for frack. Among those factors are price, completeness of coverage, length of policy and your financial ability- can you afford a major repair bill?

14. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Being a retired New Car Dealer, whatever you do make sure it is the manufactures plan (vehicle make you own) and not some aftermarket company. Many aftermarket companies become insolvent over the years or many times look for reasons not to honor the claim. If it is a manufacturer warranty it is honored at any Ford dealership if it is on a Ford unit and the dealer has much more latitude in getting repairs approved. Feel free to shop other Ford stores.

The failures you see today are not powertrain as it was many years ago as majority of the manufacturers today have good engines trans, diffentials etc. The expense is in window regulators, power seat motors, ac fan motors, blowers etc. Electrical items. Lot of those parts are very expensive.

Just a little observaton after 35 years in the new car business.

Good luck.

15. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Ive had and used an extended warranty for a Ford truck. Negotiated the price and I was very pleased. If I were buying a diesel truck Id get a Ford extended.The diesel repairs are expensive..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.