1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trowing Hulls on the ground????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Balderdash, Apr 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Balderdash

Balderdash TS Member

I work on our Trap crew at my local club, when we sponsor a shoot ( 25-35 squads)
    it amazes me to see shooter after shooter open their action after shooting,( pump
    and break guns)take the empty out, and throw on the ground,when they have a double
    pouch or vest... my mother taught me better manners, your thoughts?

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Get some 5 gallon buckets from Home Depot and put one at each post. Your "emptys on the ground issue" will soon disappear. Be sure to post a couple of signs to remind shooters to put their emptys in the buckets. Fix the problem, not the blame.

Eric

3. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Well, it provides employment for the trap kids. It was also a common practice years ago. I use a hull pouch and throw mine in a barrel or container at the club. I'm too fat and lazy to pick them up, so I don't expect someone else to pick up mine.

When we shoot practice at our club, we all clean up our own mess. If you don't, you get "tuned in" by one of the grumpy old guys (LOL). When we host a shoot and invite other shooters to come and shoot at our club, they pay a higher price for the targets they shoot. Cleaning up their hulls is part of the cost of these types of events. I'd rather pay the trap kid for an extra hour than not have these folks come to shoot our targets. Bill Malcolm

4. 6t6stang

6t6stang Member

I usually carry a pouch during practice, and if I'm not saving the hulls, I'll just empty them into the trash can or shell barrel. Sometimes during the large shoots, where there's plenty of help, I'll just drop them into the pile for the kids to pick up.

Mike.

5. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Good luck with that Rick ... I'm sure many would like to watch the fireworks when you become the hull monitor, perhaps, at your State Shoot (LOL). Bill Malcolm

6. MNGuns

MNGuns Member

I reload so my hulls leave with me and if I am lucky I will leave with more than I brought.

Cliff

7. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Since I reload, I try to catch every ejected empty hull and place in my pouch, but some escape. Many shooters today do not reload and have no use for an empty hull. Our club has a policy that shooters do not bend over and pick up empty hulls off the ground. We have paid trap kids that pick up empty hulls multiple times per day. I give the trap kids a few extra dollars to bring me any green hulls they find.

We have one shooter who throws any hull that causes a miss onto the ground so as to not be handicapped by that evil hull again.

8. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

Our two clubs in this town have a "if it hits the ground it is the clubs policy>". The trap kids clean them up and sort them to be sold for the AIM program funding. Our kids are finding they have less and less to clean up and the club looks much better.
    I can remember when I first started shooting we trap kids would rake the hulls in to a pit and once a month burn the hulls to get the brass and sell it for scrap that went in to a fund for the club. I cringe at all the Federal Papers we burned. At the time the new shells were $2.00 a box and the early plastics were the rage.
    Head Down and Keep Swinging
    Wayne

9. 6t6stang

6t6stang Member

As a side note, I don't ever drop any hulls that I have reloaded. If I'm done with those, I dump them into the trash can.

Mike.

10. Baber

Baber TS Member

This past Saturday I was shooting behind a young shooter who could not hit the bucket with his hulls. They were flying all over the place. I asked him when was the last time he had his vision checked because if he can not hit the bucket with his empties how can he hope to hit the target!

T

11. MMcVitty

MMcVitty Member

During practices at our club most everyone picks theirs up, if thrown on the ground. If we are hosting our county league there are quite a few guys who throw theirs on the ground, mostly if they are shooting federals, or rios. Few AA and Remingtons as well.
    While I keep mine, because I am a Scot and therefore waste nothing as I don't want to spend money and I reload, it is only a nuisance to have to clean up after others.

12. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity?? Does the club have signs posted for folks to pick up their own empties??..Cant expect everyone to do it unless its advertised

13. pca7ggr

pca7ggr Member

We have signs at my club but to no avail. As a volunteer and scorer it is a bit of a paint to have to pick up dropped, spent sheel by inconsiderate shooter.

Unless, they happen to be Remmy STS and/or Nitros - ;>)

The only compensation "volunteers" get at out clubs is a free lunch - usually a pretty good one at that.

14. JT 27

JT 27 Member

When I started shooting 45 yr.s ago, most clubs banned picking up any empties. The club sold bird boxes of empties to enhance their income. You had to be there early the next time the club was open or the shells were all gone. There are several items on the market to pickup empties easier than bending over.

15. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

The best shooters let the gun get rid of the empties

16. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

We have a 'let em fly' policy at my club. It isn't that much work to pick the hulls up and yes I'm one of the unpaid guys that does this. This effort also helps keep the area around the shooing lanes groomed as we use silage rakes to pick up the hulls. This is done after each shooting day and sometimes at mid-day between events on registered shoots.

17. ShotStop

ShotStop Dedicatedto keeping gun clubs open and shooting.

Elmer Fudd, the famous wabbit hunter, was a member at our club and he would always say "Don't trow you hulls on the gwound."

18. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Makes you wonder what their like at home!!

19. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

LTS. I do the cooking and dishes too. wife gives me lysol to litter the club. Tip the kids too...

20. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I was taught better at home also, being as I do not wear a pouch I have no place to put them ... If there is a bucket there I use it, if not the shells hit the ground ... I had a guy stand behind me for 4 rounds trying to catch the new Nitro's I was kicking out of the gun, he said he didn't want them grounded, I told him he better learn to catch better ... I had another guy offer to let me use his pouch, I told him if I wanted a pouch I would buy one and sell the empty's or if he let me use his pouch I would sell the empty's to him ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.