1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Troubling discovery: STS hull

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Border Bandit, Aug 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

I clean and inspect my hulls before reloading, using STS exclusively. Today, I found one where the hull had separated about half way from the brass, and there was an expanded bulge in the brass where it, unsupported, had pushed into the cutout for the ejector. Upon further inspection with a fiber optic bore light there is a cavity behind the plastic hull and the inside base of the brass leaving a gap where the primer hole is. It appears that powder could get behind the hull and the brass, although I won't speculate what effect this might have, if the hull had been reloaded and shot. Hopefully this is not the beginning of a trend with STS hulls. This hull has been reloaded 4 times and, from new, only shot in my gun and reloaded on my PW 800+, with 19.Gr of Green dot, Rem primers, Fig 8 wads/ 1 1/8oz of shot. I saw a thread about a Gun Club that came apart and the post about the stuck hull that had done the same thing, and posted on that thread; but thought this is worth it's own thread, so re-posted. Is it worth the trouble to contact Remington, and alert them about this ?

best...mike

2. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Look plastic hulls, no matter what brand cannot be reloaded indefinitely.

They take a beating with extreme temp changes and pressure in the thousands of pounds

Some just give up the ghost sooner than others.

Food for thought. All shot shell recipes in reloading manuals are based on "new fired" hulls for peak performance, not hulls fired umpteen times.

3. pdq

pdq Member

My immediate reaction when I started to read your post was to advise you to send the hull to Remington. I've done so on 2 occassions and have gotten a very nice letter and a check from them to cover the cost of a couple of boxes of shells.

But, then you state that you'd already re-loaded the shell 4 times. You can try sending them the hull, but the fact that you've reloaded it would seem to introduce a bunch of factors which they can't take responsibility for.

Pete

4. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

I bought a bunch of STS once fireds last year and about a dozen had the brass pull off of the hull on the reloader (Dillon SL900). The hull would stay stuck to the powder ram and the primed case head would be sitting there on the carousel (covered in draining powder). The other 988 had no problem whatsoever. Never did figure out why, but it would be hard to believe it was the reloader. Loaded at least twice as many Nitro 27s and none of them did it.

I also used to own a Grabber and a 9000G and their design wouldn't allow this to happen. The Dillon uses the mouth flare station to drop the powder, whereas the MECs mouth flare is at the depriming station. Guess it's possible the 12 STS were extra long.?.

5. HotRodA10

HotRodA10 Member

I have been shooting and reloading AAs in all four gauges for quite a while, and I have loaded a few other brands as well though not nearly as much. The other day I decided to reload a box of once-fired STS hull in 20 gauge, because I have read some good things about the STS hulls. To say the least, I was severely disappointed. The brass separated from the plastic on four out of the 25 I loaded. I use a Dillon 950, and the separation occurred in the new primer seating station. Needless to say, I will not use STS hulls again, at least not in 20 gauge. I'm wondering if the other gauges have the same issue?

Rod

6. Donm

Donm Active Member

This year I have loaded and about 5000 sts and about 3000 gun clubs on a mec reloader with not a single problem.

7. SMITH47

SMITH47 Member

i reload sts 12ga for my wife & myself (approx 400 per week) on a mec grabber for the last two years and have not had a single problem ? bought most of the hulls here !

thanks,

ernie

8. kene

kene TS Member

wonder if this could be production lot related -- if you still have the lot code from the box that may be of use to Remington [or any other mfgr for that matter] quality / engineering dept

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Ain't it funny how the high priced loaders create so many problems?

Seems like every time one of these issues comes up the mec users chime in saying they have no problems. P-W guys have AA hulls losing the insert and plugging bores, Also double charging is way too easy.

Mec for me.

HM

10. warren

warren Member

I have better luck loading Rem. Gun Club hulls than I do STS, don't know why but that's what I use now.

warren

11. Dr. Honk

Dr. Honk Member

I reload about 8,000 STS a year with a MEC grabber. Most are reloaded one or two times. Some are reloaded at least 3-4 times

No Problems this year or the previous 10 years.

Dr. Honk

12. tinylo

tinylo TS Member

13. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

"reloaded on my PW 800+,

about a dozen had the brass pull off of the hull on the reloader (Dillon SL900

The brass separated from the plastic on four out of the 25 I loaded. I use a Dillon 950,"

I've loaded about 80,000 hulls of different brands on my mec 9000 and I dnon't recall a single hull of any brand ever separating. I sure wish one would....I'm due for a new press.

14. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

Of course, a reloading press must be adjusted correctly to obtain desired results. The primer mechanism is adjustable, which can introduce operator error.

15. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

I must live a blessed life, as I load on a Spolar and PW Patriot I just got (very new, but had 800+ in the past), and have never seen this out of STS or Nitro hull. But nothing is perfect, and accept it can happen.

I did have a 9000 Mec, and the biggest single advantage is the collet resizing and primer support. I push a Win209 into once fired STS and Nitro's on a regular basis, with no problems.

Can't tell you why, as I have done nothing special to any press.

16. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

I have been loading STS & Gun Clubs exclusively since they first came out. Still looking for my first problem. I have been loading on 9000G MEC for the last few years. Current one is 2 years old. My experience,Clyde

17. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

I load/shoot ~10,000 a year, and after seeing the other two posts and this in my own hands, for the first time, my question was simply speculating about a possible problem starting to show in Remington's, like it has with the Gold Medals. Like I said, I clean and inspect every hull before reloading and if there's any scorching or burnt spots in the crimp area, into the trash they go. I'm not looking for Remington to do anything, it's just that they set themselves up as the gold standard when it comes to reloading with their hulls and components, and have my confidence. My concern is that there may be a manufacturing change of some sort that will effect that status. One thing is certain: this is the best clearing house for newly emerging information along these lines, since as a group, no one loads more shells than we do. If there are changes to products that affect us all, we need to know about it.

best...mike

18. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

If it were me, I would separate the plastic out of the base, then look for any anomolies, especially the retention lip.

19. SMITH47

SMITH47 Member

to be on the safe side please send me all your once fired hulls and i will test them to make sure they are not defective !

20. dontate

dontate Member

In the interest of recycling I separate the brass from any discarded shells. Although I load STS shells mostly I can tell you that it takes twice the effort and heat to remove brass from a AA compared to an STS hull. Maybe after seeing the threads here I'll need to reconsider the AA's again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.