1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trouble with the safety on a new SxS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Porcupine, Apr 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

A friend sold me a NIB Ugartechea Model 30 SxS; this seemingly well-made shotgun did not come with an owner's manual. Individually, each barrel shot fine (they both patterned 'full' and flat); however, when I tried to shoot doubles with it, the manual safety re-engaged after the first shot (either barrel) and I had to open the gun to dis-engage the safety. I'm sure this is not the way it's supposed to be (right?). Anybody else had this happen, and is it merely a matter of taking the stock off and adjusting/fixing the safety? Thanks for any help.

LA in MA

2. JayLC

JayLC TS Member

I had the same problem on a Beretta s x s. The safety isn't "locking" into the disengaged position properly so when the gun recoils the safety reengages. A gunsmith can fix this rather easily. Either the safety isn't sliding far enough forward or the spring that holds it in position isn't strong enough to hold it there with the recoil.

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

What JayLC said, let a good gunsmith fix that sliding safety! Just getting the stock off is a royal PITA if you've never taken one off before or know how!!!

Hap

4. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

Yo, Hap,

What is it that makes stock removal so difficult?

Thanks.

LA in MA

5. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

Had the same problem with a Browning BSS 20 guage side by side. JayLC is correct, take it to a gunsmith for repair.

Tom Strunk

6. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Also, if it is an automatic safety, have the gunsmith remove the rod which activates the safety when you open the gun. This will make it a "manual safety". You will have to engage it manually when you want it on. I have had this done to all my field gunsn since I always walk with the action open until I step in front of my dogs. Then I close the guin and put the safety on. Then as I mount the gun at the flush, I turn the safety off and shoot my bird.

This is much safer than walking around with a gun in battery relying on the safety to keep it from discharging.

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Porcupine, did you receive my PM?

Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

safety engages sxs

ugartechea sxs owners manual