1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trouble with remington gun clubs not firing

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by maka, May 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maka

maka Member

Has anyone had any trouble recently with new gun clubs not firing?

2. ElmerThud

ElmerThud TS Member

Shot 8 flats this year with no issues 687/682E

3. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

it has been discussed before. what is the serial number on the flap. if it is d or e the shells are probebly the ones that have the brass coated steel primer and they did have a major problem with those. post it here an pm mail me motordoctor

4. CharlesK80

CharlesK80 Member

Motordoc, I had average 1 out of every 50 not fire. Bought 30 flats. Had the plain steel base. Not brass washed. But the others fired and reloaded nicely.

Not ever again.

5. CharlesK80

CharlesK80 Member

Motordoc, I had average 1 out of every 50 not fire. Bought 30 flats. Had the plain steel base. Not brass washed. But the others fired and reloaded nicely.

Not ever again.

6. K80433SC

K80433SC Member

A few weeks ago, I had TWO failures to fire - both in the same box of NEW Gun Clubs. I have never experienced a failure in a reloaded shell - ever. And I have used just about every make of primer that you can buy.

While I do not fret over the situation, it is a bit disheartening to pull the trigger and not hear "bang".

7. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Three weeks ago I had 7 out of 100 . The problem was thin rims that let the shell fall down to far in the chamber .

8. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

I was shown a shell out of a new box that was down right dangerous. The shell had the steel base bent so bad back and into the shell it would have been a possible blow-up. The damage was enough (IMO) that firing it would have led to a dramatic increase of pressure. Had a guy pulled the shell out of the box with the damaged side away from view it could have gone into the gun. Quality of new shells should NEVER come into question. At this time I think my reloads are of much higher quality. Jim

9. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Get in touch with Remington, they sent me flats of STS as a wap out for bad Gun Clubs, the problem was a bad run of primers. They now use the same primers un Gun Clubs as the STS shells. The current problems may be due to old inventory that is still in the system. You need the bad shell & the # of the lot off the box.

Phil Berkowitz

10. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I've also noticed that there has been an apparent change in the metal used in the steel bases of the newest CG hulls.

I use a P-W 900 to reload that has a channel under the primer area of the hull at each station. I've have found that the loader is leaving an impression of the channel in the metal bases of these new hulls during the final crimp. I've removed test hulls at each station to check the bases and the impression definitely is made at the final crimp station.

It's not a machine adjustment or malfunction. I can run older versions of the hulls as well as brass-based STS and AA hulls through the loader without making any adjustments and leave no impressions at all in any of them.

MK

11. stilltrying

stilltrying Member

I had the same problem. I installed a new mainspring and they all fired.

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

MK- A very interesting observation. It must indicate a softer metal and that could be good.

Pat Ireland

13. perga1

perga1 Active Member

I have had a few myself and I have seen reloads with Rem primers that did not fire. IMHO the anvil on every one of the misfires was set too far down in the steel rim of the primer. Every one had a slight dent. I tried the factory shells in several different guns and they would not fire in any gun. JRM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.