Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trouble with New AA Super-Handicap Shells

9K views 42 replies 28 participants last post by  michmoe 
#1 ·
Has anyone else been having trouble with "New Factory" Super-Hadicap shells. I recently bought 20 flats of these and while at the Southern Grand had four shells out of two flats (same lot # 38W2C109)not fire properly. They all fired but where extremely soft and sounded flat. Two of the shells broke birds and two did not causing lost birds. There was heavy powder residue in the barrel after the shots and the wads cleared everytime. I spoke with another indivdual who was also shooting the same shells and he stated that he had been having the same problem all week with them. I also have second hand info of a third shooter who had 6 of these miss fires in 100 shells during an event. If anyone else is having the same problem please post a reply as I will be contacting Winchester later today and would like to know how wide spread the problem is. If you know your lot # please post with your reply.

Thanks,
John Harden 03 11612

#3 ·
I had the same problem at the Southern Grand this past weekend.I bought a flat at the dollar and proceeded to run the first 46 targets when low and behold I had a "blooper".The shell fired but had no recoil and seemed that the wad barely cleared the barrel.This resulted in a lost target and being on a short squad did not take the time to regather my thoughts and proceeded to miss the next target ending with a 23 on that trap.Went to the next trap and about 12 targets in got another "blooper".By now my thoughts are focused on that and I'm wondering if there will be another which caused another lost target and a a 23 on that trap.With the rain delay I was able to go back to the car and grab a box of Federals which fired without a hitch and I did manage to end with a 95.But those two bloopers cost me dearly as I was really hitting the targets well prior to this happening.It really sucks that this had to happen at such a time in such a major event.To say that I'm PO'D is a under statement and plan to write Winchester a good letter.I feel I should be at least reimbursed a couple boxes of shells for their lack of quality control.If Winchester doesnt do anything I will never shoot Winchester shells again!!I shoot new shells in the 'caps just as a precaution that I dont have this problem with my reloads but now wish I would have been shooting my reloads.The lot no of these shells is 38W2C108.Please keep me posted and I will do the same if I get any response. Hugo Rinke

#5 ·
I've never used new AA shells so I obviously haven't had this problem (although I've heard of it). But I have had problems with Winchester rifle brass and their handling of my concerns cost them a customer.

I bought 100 pieces of new brass for my son's 7mm STW and 100 for my daughter's .243. The necks of the 7mm STW brass were cut off at an angle and I couldn't trim them true because the cases were .035" too short to start with. The necks of the .243 brass were way too long but trimmable and the primer pockets were very shallow but, again, repairable.

Two emails to Winchester went unanswered and it took three weeks to get a reply to letter. They replaced the STW brass with brass that was defective in exactly the same way and didn't as much as offer an apology for either it or the .243 brass. When I returned the second box of 7mm STW brass, they sent me a check for $31 and a letter saying they no longer offered loaded ammo or brass for the 7mm STW.

A more timely response and an explanatory phone call would have gone a long way toward making me more understanding of their problems.

Ed

#6 ·
I had that happen at the Grand durring the GAH 3 years ago. Same story; shell fired but was extremely soft and sounded flat. I got a 99. If not for that bad shell, it would have been nice to have the only 100 that day. (I might have missed anyway). Winchester offered a free box of shells. AJ

#7 ·
John,

I had some problems in the past and a friend was able to check the lot numbers and found out the shells had been made a few years ago.

The problem shells I had were in white flats(current style), but made 2 or 3 years ago. At the same time I bought some in black flats from Geoff at Gamaliel and they were some of the best shells ever!

I haven't had a problem lately, but it doesn't mean that I've been shooting new shells?

Good Luck,
TNCoach

#8 ·
Thanks to those who have posted so far. I am currently waiting on return calls from Winchester. Hugo, I will make them aware of your Lot # also. I have spoken to the retailer who I bought them from and they are more than happy to swap the remaining flats out for other shells. When I hear back from Winchester I will post their response to the problem.

John Harden
03 11632

#9 ·
Winchester drove me away from their business over 10 years ago. I continued to take examples of problems to representatives at each GRAND. Every year their comment was that this is the first trouble they've seen.

Since they apparently did not belive in quality assurance . . . I went to another company who apparently does check their ammunition.

#11 ·
I have spoken with two different Reps from Winchester this afternoon. They say that they were not aware of any problems and are going to start an investigation into the situation. They have requested that I send them the bad shells which I saved along with the boxes they came from. They also requested that I send a couple of boxes of unfired shells for testing purposes. At this point they appear concerned with the problem and seemed genuinely interested in making it right. If anyone else is having this problem here is the contact info for the Winchester Rep who is handling my problem. 1-800-356-2666 Ext# 3300

John Harden 03 11632

#12 ·
I have spoken with two different Reps from Winchester this afternoon. They say that they were not aware of any problems and are going to start an investigation into the situation. They have requested that I send them the bad shells which I saved along with the boxes they came from. They also requested that I send a couple of boxes of unfired shells for testing purposes. At this point they appear concerned with the problem and seemed genuinely interested in making it right. If anyone else is having this problem here is the contact info for the Winchester Rep who is handling my problem. 1-800-356-2666 Ext# 3300

John Harden 03 11632

#13 ·
Winchester may have some problems but Federal is not immune. Just ask some of the shooters shooting Federal Gold Medals at the Southern Grand. Seems the heads were completely severing and shooting through the barrel or sticking inside. One well known shooter was carrying a homemade shell head extractor on the line. Buy American!!

#14 ·
winchester has not produced a good shell since before 2000 that is when I quit them cost me 100 from 27 was 67 stright then the bloper finished with 99 my brother had several blopers in a flat he got at texas st. shoot I have said on this site plenty of times AA are junk switched to estates for singles and first shot in doubles in 2000 federal for handicap and second shot doubles but have shot much last 2yrs. I here fed and estates are heading south well I guess if I could afford to shoot again I would shoot rem. sts bottom line if you shoot good better scrap whinchester shells. batman

#18 ·
Update......I spoke with a rep from Winchester and they want the remaining boxes from the flat with the bad shells.Said they would have R&D examine them and would take it from there.I will be shipping them out tomorrow and hope to find out soon after what kind of company Winchester really is.Will provide more info as soon as I hear something.....Hugo

#19 ·
Had a problem a few years back, notified Winchester they told me where to send it but I would have to pay shipping. O.K. let me think on this one, They have a problem I notify them and they wanted me to pay shipping back to them with no expectations of getting any money back. I have been shooting Remington and Estate products since that day and could not be more pleased. I wonder if Winchester has realized a drop in shotshell sales over the last ten years due to defective new shells that also reload like crap.

#20 ·
I BOUGHT 5 FLAT'S OF THE DOUBLE A 3 DRAM HEAVY EIGHT'S AROUND A 9 MTH'S AGO AND SHOOT SOME THIS WINTER AND I'LL TELL YOU WHAT, I A HAD MANY ROUND'S THAT SOUND LIGHT OR HEAVIER.YOU KNOW YOUR NOT CRAZY WHEN OTHER'S ON THE TRAP LINE LOOK AT YOU KINDA CRAZY WHEN THEY ALSO HEAR THE DIFFECTIVE ROUND.I WOULD LOVE TO SEND THEM BACK FOR REPLACEMENT.I KEEP AN EYE HERE TO SEE HOW THEY HANDLE YOUR AND OTHER'S ISSUE.

#21 ·
I have to say that with the problems described above and with the separations that Federal GM's are experiencing (common at our club) there is no way in hell I'd shoot either brand of these shells through my guns. Rem STS are the only premium shell on the market that lives up to it's advertised standards and continue throughout their reloading life. Any shell that routinely separates is a huge hazard to the shooter and those around and invites litigation. I don't even know of any of the cheaper imports that experience separated hulls. Bad thing to happen.

Larry

#22 ·
I was shooting with a fellow about a month ago that was having all sorts of problems with some winchester feather lites. About half sounded like bloopers. I lent him a box of my reloads and he went back to crushing targets. Sold all my Olin stock today. Great dividend, but it feels like their QC has gone to heck.

#23 ·
Just remember in the winter someone may be shooting shells that are left overnight in their car and are cold and every other one will sound wierd but if you have the same shells and they are warm they will shoot fine.

Any shell will do that to an extent so maybe it is not the shell all the time but where the owner had it kept at until they shot it.

#24 ·
I've been shooting Winchester 3 dram universal shells, the 4 packs in the new style boxes, this winter. I can occaisionally get them for about $18 a 4 pack. They have been very inconsistent. None seemed short of powder, but quite a few shells darned near knocked me on my ...
I shoot the Federal 3 dram universal 4 packs also, but have never had this problem with them. My shells are always stored indoors until I'm ready to leave for the range, which is only five minutes away.

Dave

#25 ·
I had Remington factory fresh Nitro 27's that did not fire about 2 years ago. Spoke with Remington and they made good on them, and had to send the old ones in with boxes and unfired shells. Remington does have nice customer service. Never had to deal with Winchester as of yet.
Mike Sharkey, DC

#26 ·
Update...Spoke to the Rep from Winchester yesterday and she stated that they had just logged the shells I sent in for testing. She said that they probably would be able to tell me something next week as to the cause of the misfires.

On another note I had another weak shell last weekend while shooting practice. This now makes 5 bad shells out 2 flats. If anybody else is having the same problem please post so I can relay the info when I speak to them next week. If you have your lot number please post it in your reply.

I will post when I hear back from Winchester with their response.

Thanks,

John Harden

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.