1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trouble with Mec Reloader

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Mark V, May 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark V

Mark V Member

My Mec 9000 reloader when reloading Fed. hulls, doesn't do it with Rem hulls, doesn't allow the hull to drop fully to the bottom of the collet. I've looked for debris in the fingers of the collet, and have adjusted the collet to only crimp to the minimun amount with a gauge. The hull is NOT sitting up to high. Any lower and it will not index without hittting the frame. On the down stroke I have to apply a small amount of pressure to seat the hull to the bottom of the resizer to operate the press.

Any suggestions?

2. CharlesR1100

CharlesR1100 TS Member

This is an easy one. The fingers on the collet are too close together. As the shell is dropped it catches on the narrowed fingers (does not go all the way down)and is crushed at its base when the handle is pulled. You must widen the fingers to allow the shell to drop of its own weight. Just push them back.

It will happen again because the fingers will eventually close again (lose their set) as you use the press over time.

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

There still might be some debris preventing the collet from opening fully. I would remove the collet and inspect for dirt, bent, or broken fingers. Then assemble with proper lubrication. The adjustment for head size should have little effect on the collet opening. When in doubt, give MEC a call!

4. Mark V

Mark V Member

I'll take the collet off the press and disassemble it. Maybe it's just time for a new collet.

5. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Mec's # is l-800-797-4MEC, I'm sure they can help you if needed. Good Luck. Break-em all. Jeff

6. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Two other things to check would be primers not letting the center tube in the collect drop, and more inportantly is checking to see if the tube drops out fast enough to let the shell all the way down. If not give that supporting bar on the bottom of the loader a twist down.

GS

7. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

you didnt say but were the fed shells shot in a simi auto the heads are weak on some of the feds especialy the silver one they may be over sized that much i had that problem with fed 20s and just tossed them rick

8. atagym

atagym TS Member

Make sure the drop tube has no oil on it. It has to be clean and dry to work properly.

9. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Had this happen last night. Put some Mec anti seize on the collet and it quit for now. Shells (Feds) came out looking like Rems after lubing the collet. Your collet may vary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.