1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

trouble with mec 9000H

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by lilboss1970, Feb 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lilboss1970

lilboss1970 Member

I have a mec 9000H that I just acquired. I'm having trouble with the deprime/resizing station, the shells want to hang up on the primer punch. Sometimes it knocks the brass off the hull or the next time it does it the shell doesn't want to release of the primer punch. I'm reloading green sts shells and I also switched out primer punches from my other 9000G and it still does the same thing. I also took apart the resizer and cleaned it and put never seize on the outer part of the collet. If anyone has any ideas why this is happening I would really appreciate it.

thanks todd

2. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

put a little grease on your finger and put it on the outside of the collet.
    thats all it will take

3. lilboss1970

lilboss1970 Member

I took apart the collet and cleaned it and put never seize on the outside of the collet. The shell is hanging up on the deprimer punch, that is what it is stuck on. The collet is free when this happened.

4. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

The collet may be closing too soon. Review the adjustments on page 25 of the owners manual. If you don't have it, the URL is where you can find it.

5. lilboss1970

lilboss1970 Member

Would the collet closing to soon make the hull want to stick to the primer punch?

6. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Call Mec and tell them your problem---I have always been able to solve any problems with them---they will walk U through the steps needed to correct it---

gL---

7. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

There is a undercut machined inside the collet fingers, this recess is for the rim of the shell and without it the collet would size the rim along with the rest of the brass. It sounds like the collet is releasing too soon, before the punch has a chance to retract from shell. This undercut also holds the rim as the punch is rising.

8. lilboss1970

lilboss1970 Member

Figured out what was wrong with my loader. The collet was the wrong one, it was for some other loader that mec made and was for low brass shells. I bought this loader used and I guess somebody put in the wrong collet at some point in time. I pulled the collet out of my other 9000G and put it in and now it's working like it should.

Thanks to everyone who was replying and offering suggestions.

todd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
9000 h reloader trouble shooting
mec deprime punch trouble

trouble with mec 9000h