1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trouble with DR XXL wads.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by cueguy2, Apr 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cueguy2

cueguy2 TS Member

I load on Mec 9000 ( H and G ). I had been using the Downrange WJ replacement, 8 petals I believe, and they loaded and crimped great in all my hulls. I use Federal and STS. I now bought the new XXL for straight walled hulls. Not very good. It is a struggle just to get them in, I will have to adjust the wad holder down if I continue to use them. After the initial crimp, the shot is pushing out and some falls out. The wad is a lot higher in the shell. This is in the Federal hull. Has anyone out there experienced this when using this wad? Is there any advantage in using the XXL over the WJ DR in the Fed hull?
    Thanks, Nubs Wagner.

2. deadapair17

deadapair17 TS Member

I have also had trouble with these wads. The shot base sits higher in the hull when the shot drops, causing the shot to almost run over the edge after the crimp starter is done with it. The crimper pushes the shot back down into the hull ok, but sometimes it leaves a couple of shot on top of the hull, or on the loading table. I load these with a 1 oz. load, and when the shell is done, the top part of the wad ends up cocked a little sideways as the wad partially collapses; as I can see it through an Estate hull. I don't think this wad is supposed to collapse for a 1 oz load, but it does, causing the crimp to be too deep also. On top of that, on a cold day, I have a lot of off sounding shells; whereas the Claybuster 12SO does just fine. I think they have a little work to do on this wad, probably designing a specific 1 oz and a separate 1.125 oz wad, instead of trying to do both with the same wad. Thanks, Don

3. mecman

mecman TS Member

4. traplady41

traplady41 TS Member

I also had trouble with them being shorter than claybuster pink in 1 o/z.In sts hulls the crimp is to deep.

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Wasn't the DRXXL wad primarily designed for 7/8 oz? seems to be what I used them for...

Jim

6. gasman03

gasman03 Member

This is the bright orange wad correct? I believe they were for 1-1/8oz also. Has anyone tried that and if so any trouble?

Corey

7. redbearmx15

redbearmx15 TS Member

The sample that was sent out was a deep pink (or maybe I could see it as alean towards orange) and they are marked Down range wad DRA - 12 GAUGE 1 oz. This is the direct replacement for the WAA12SL style wad. The XXL Pink 7/8 0z Rem & Win Hulls ref load data WAA12L DR XL chartreuse green 1 0z-12. The claybuster wad 1100-12 is a replacement for WAA 12SL. The jammer XL 1 12 gague 10oz a purple 8 pedals

When I loaded some of the 7/8 XXL Pink I loaded them with 1 0z of 8s and had good luck with them.

RogerC/OH SJVCC

8. cueguy2

cueguy2 TS Member

These wads are orange and marked either for 1 oz - 1 1/8 oz. Chauncy, no flaming, but I did not buy these for price, I could not even tell you what they cost. I tried to simplify my loading room and only use one wad for everything and the Downrange fit the bill. Now I may wind up with something else completely, but it will have nothing to do with money. If anyone is in this sport to save money, get out now. Nubs Wagner.

9. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

According to the information that I have from
    Downrange is the DR XXL wad is a 7/8
    oz load for Winchester and Remington hulls. It should use the load data
    for WAA12L and is Pink in color.
    According to the latest
    booklet,
    the top X will compress and allow for loading 1 oz in a Rem or Win hull,
    but I haven't tried this yet.

The DR XXL Orange wad
    is for the straight walled hulls and will load 1 oz or 1 1/8 loads.
    In 1 oz. use load data for FED12SO and for the 1 1/8 oz use the FED12S3 wads.
    This wad should fit Federal Gold Medal, Fiocchi, Cheddite, Thrilling, Nobel
    Sport, Challenger, and etc. You will need to compress the top X to load
    1 1/8 oz.

I have a sample bag of both laying by my computer. If this doesn't help
    let me know and I will see if I have the right bar to throw into the old MEC to
    try this out. I sold a few parts at the gun show this weekend so will have to
    check out what I have left. You may reach
    Kevin
    directly at his email if you want to. Let me know what you find
    out please. Thanks

10. KS-OKIE

KS-OKIE TS Supporters TS Supporters

I bought a case of the orange DR XXL wads at the Missouri fall hdcp after being assured they would work in Federal hulls.I was told they would replace either the real 12s3`s or claybuster CB2118-12`s , without any need to change any of the rest of my shell reciepe.I load on a Spolar with hydrolics.Every shot drop filled the wad & hull level full.Sold remaining 4990 wads at 1/2 price.So when it was all said and done that free Downrange T-Shirt that I recieved with the case of wads only cost me $30.00.KS-OKIE.

11. deadapair17

deadapair17 TS Member

We ARE talking about the DR XXL "orange" wad by Downrange for the 1 or 1 1/8 oz load. I am talking about loading them in a Federal or Estate hull, as they are designed to load. I am loading a 1 oz. load, and as I stated above, am having some trouble with them, loading them exactly what they are supposed to do. They just don't work very well. Thanks, Don

12. derbyacresbob

derbyacresbob Well-Known Member

The DR-XXL Orange wad and shotcup look to be the same length as the DR-XXL 7/8 Pink wad. I just ordered a case of the DR-XXL Orange wads to reload 7/8 oz loads in Federal Gold Medal Hulls.

13. Dutchboy

Dutchboy TS Member

I had no problem loading either 7/8's or 1 oz with the orange wads in Fiocchi and Gold Medal hulls. The pink wads worked peachy fine for 7/8th's in Rems and AA's. FWIW, Dutch.

14. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

The Orange wads will not load 1 1/8 loads and only marginally load 1 oz. They are nearly the same as the Pink wad which was designed for 7/8 oz. The difference being the base of the wad which has a larger circumference to accommodate the straight walled hulls. I think they are a POS. FD

15. DoRaMa

DoRaMa Member

4170 N. Gun Powder Circle, Hastings NE 68901
    Hello Folks,

The XXL Orange wads are for the straight wall hulls.

It can be loaded with either 1 oz. or 1 1/8 oz. If you load it with 1 1/8 oz. you MUST set the wad pressure so it will fold the top X. This gives you the space for the extra shot. If the shot is not 3/8 of and inch down you will have problems and spilled shot every
    where.

So if making and adjustment on a loader is not what you want to do, these may not be the wads you want.

Thanks

Kevin @ 402-463-3415

16. cueguy2

cueguy2 TS Member

Hey Chauncy, no problem. Nubs.
    To everyone else, I really don't want to make major changes to load these wads. I get great crimps in all my shells with the 8 petal wads. I only picked these up in the hopes that wads made specifically for Fed hulls may give a little more performance. I am going to try and give these back to Gamaliel and trade for a case of the others. Hey Kevin, maybe you can call Jimmy and put in the word for me before I ask him. Nubs Wagner.

17. DoRaMa

DoRaMa Member

4170 N. Gun Powder Circle, Hastings NE 68901
    cueguy2 / Nubs Wagner, Please give me a call @ 402-463-3415

Thanks

Kevin

18. cueguy2

cueguy2 TS Member

Kevin, I will give you a call tomorrow morning. Nubs.

19. clb

clb TS Member

Using the XXL orange wad, I don't see how it's possible to get 1 oz let alone 1 1/8 oz of shot into a federal hull. On my Mec 9000 to load 1 oz of shot, I have the wad ram so far down that I can barely get the wad in the wad cup and when it crimps usually there will be 1 or 2 pieces of shot above the final crimp. To collapse the wad more for 1 1/8 of shot, I would have to lower the wad ram even further and I'm sure I wouldn't be able to get the wad into the wad cup. My load is 18gr of ClayDot, Federal 209 primer, and either a Gold Medal or Estate Hull. This wad does make a nice 7/8 oz load however this past winter I did have quite a few weak sounding loads.

20. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

down range reloading data dr-xxl

drxxl vswaa12l