1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trouble with BT100 misfiring once in awhile

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by trapshootingfran, Apr 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trapshootingfran

trapshootingfran TS Member

My son has a BT100 that misfires once in a while. I have replaced the firing pin spring and cleaned it very good. If anyone has any information or suggestions how I can fix this trouble, please let me know.
    Thanks Fran

2. bgf

bgf Active Member

I have the same problem with my BT100. It is because of some of the primers in the less expensive ammo [estates]. If the primer is seated too deep you get no bang. Or, the primers are too hard [chedites] not sure of the spelling. Give the non-firing shell to someone else and it will go bang. I just live with it and put another shell in. I have had the same probelm with my Ljutic.

JMHO....Bernie

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

If you use a larger primer such as Nobel, Cheddite and then switch, the hull is expanded and the primer appears to not be seated ( when actually it is just sloppy loose) This can cause people to start adjusting primers deeper which can cause the shell to become concave even more than it is as a result of the larger primer. So the result is the firing pin does not strike the primer hard enough. Usually it will go off on the second try. This has happened to me and others. People start replacing springs sometimes when it is not the problem

4. Stuart

Stuart Member

Replace the hammer spring.
    Stu

5. trapshootingfran

He was shooting new gun clubs when this is happening. He changed to estates he had no problem. I already changed the hammer spring. Is there a heaver hammer spring that can be purchased, or a longer firing pin? Please advise.

The misfires were at least half 50 out of 100. thanks Fran

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Fran- First figure out if it is a problem with the gun or with the shells. My gun will only fire about 1/2 of the shells imported from Spain. It will not shoot about 1 per box of Rem. Gun Clubs. It does fire all of the Estates and Federal Top gun shells. I usually shoot my reloads or new AA shells and these work better than I shoot.

Pat Ireland

7. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

You might want to check the top lever spring!!! Had to replace mine, and have heard from other BT-100 shooters that they had problems with there's as well. It might not be firing, because its not locking up tight. Or as Pat has said above. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

8. trapshootingfran

Thanks Pat, I think we narrowed it down to Remington Gun Clubs with the steel base, the ones with the brass base work fine. These are all new shells. The firing pin spring was broken, and the hammer spring was weak.
    He just bought this gun. The former owmer must not have had a maintence program and or left it cocked all the time. Thanks for all the help. Fran

9. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

The occasional trouble with my BT-100 is caused by the primer not being set deep enough and thus when the pin strikes the primer, the primer absorbs the impact enough to not to set it off. I rotate the shell 180 degrees and it fires. I have to watch closely my primer seat on my MEC 650 as the powder tube will creep up a little and thus the primer may not seat deep enough (inside basewad of shell varies ever-so slightly which may also contribute). My BT-100 does not hit the primer exactly in the middle which may also contribute to the misfire scenario. Darrell

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.