1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trouble with 28ga Mec Automate Crimps

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by cabman, Oct 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cabman

cabman TS Member

I am reloading AA Shells/Alliant Unique/Win209/Claybuster CB1034-28.

I am getting inconsistent crimps. 1 or 2 good shells then one that is crushed. The crimp looks good on the second to last station as shown in the photos.

Is it the last station or a setting in one of the earlier stations?

[​IMG]

2. legman

legman Member

cabman, I believe the problem is at station five. Station five consists of a two part crimper; the crimper die, and the crimp punch.The cam adjustment affects the crimper die. It looks like the crimp punch is contacting the folded case mouth before it is adequately folded down.I would leave the cam adjustment set as it is and raise the crimp punch 1/2 a turn. Lowering the crimp starter may also help as it may leave the folded case mouth low enough that the crimp punch contacts it a little later in the down stroke.
    Kenny Bruggeman
    ps, There is a gentelman that posts in the reloading section of shotgun world. He goes by the handle of "Curly No Hair". He seems to have a very good working knowledge of mec loaders.

3. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

When I have trouble setting up a Mec reloader for my loads and have problems, I go right to the problem solvers at Mec.-----Go to Mecreloaders.com and get the ###-#### for there help/trouble line. Go over the problem with one of there service techs. and problem is gone in no time and adjusted just as they would set it at the factory. Good Luck and break em all. Jeff

4. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Looks to me like the middle hull should have been sh!t canned and the edge of the right hull was hit a glancing blow by the final crimp die because the shell was still wobbling when when you cycled the loader.

5. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

my guess would have been the body of the crimp die was set too low

Do you ever get wrinkles at the base of the hull?

Shells look a tad full before crimping as well. Did the wad pull back out in the upstroke or is that compressing the wad column in crimp stage?

Maybe too much powder volume? I use B19 in AACF and REM STS hulls

regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.