1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trouble shooting the RCBS Grand Reloader

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Red Truck 99, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Red Truck 99

Red Truck 99 TS Member

I am setting up a new 12 RCBS grand 12 ga. reloader. 2 problems I can't seem to correct. 1. primers falling over in the primer tray. 2. After a shell has finished they are being ejected in the floor or are just being knocked over on top of the shell plate. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Len in Phoenix

Len in Phoenix TS Member

This may be a dumb question, but in regards to the primers falling over do you have the lid of the primer try all the way closed? I've found on mine that a light application of Hornady One-Shot case lube on the tray helps the primers slide easier and they don't fall over. It sounds like you have a combination of a slightly loose lid and a rough tray that catches the primers as they move down towards the tube.

For the shells ejecting onto the floor or into the machine, it may be that the ejection rod (the metal piece that stick out of the center post of the shell plate and kicks the finished shells out) is not in the correct position. If you look into the press from a position between the wad guide and the operating handle, the ejection rod should be pointed at the right side of the support post between the finish crimp station and the priming station. That clears the finish crimp die and should knock the finished shell down the ramp into whatever kind of bucket you're using to catch the shells.

The pictures on page 5 and 6 of the Grand instructions (downloadable here: http://www.rcbs.com/downloads/instructions/The_Grand_Instructions.pdf ) show a good view of the ejection rod setup, as does page 12 in pictures 52 and 53. RCBS also has a fantastic customer service department. Their phone number is 1-800-533-5000.

Hope this helps....if not, take some pictures of how you have the press set up and I'll compare them to mine.

Len in PHoenix

3. Quick 1

Quick 1 Active Member

The RCBS Grand needs to be mounted on an extremely solid bench. If the loader shakes or moves during cycling, it could contribute to the primers falling over, or many other problems. As stated above, the lid on the primer tray must be completly closed. I had to put extra braces on my reloading bench for the Grand.

4. Barkingspider21

Barkingspider21 Member

I had the same problem with the primers, I solved it by giving the trat a shot of pledge furniture wax, give a shot and wipe it off reall well it will be slicker than frog hair, also make sure the loader is ABSOLUTELY LEVEL AND PLUMB, plumb is the vertical aspect. I believe this will do the trick for the primer problem. Woody Sullivan

5. AlanM

AlanM Member

Had the same problem, found the trouble was the lid on the primer tray was not closing tight enough. I tapped the two little fingers, a little tighter, that hold it in place and that seemed to do the trick. If you don't want to do that put some rubber bands around the lid and tray. See if that helps.

Alan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

rcbs grand problems

rcbs grand reloader problems
rcbs the grand trouble shooting
setting up rcsb grand
the grand trouble shooting
trouble shoot rcbs grand
trouble shooting an rcbs grand press
troubleshooting rcbs grand reloader