1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trouble setting a release trigger...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 8 Straight, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 8 Straight

8 Straight Active Member

A shooting buddy of mine has been having a recurring problem with the inability to set his release trigger. This is not a mechanical thing, but a problem between the ear plugs. He just can't make the move with the trigger finger to set the trigger. Has anyone else had this problem, and what can be done to fix it short of sessions with a sports psychologist? I use a release and have never had the problem, and just recently went to a double release for doubles, and the switch to that was MUCH easier than I had anticipated.

2. JT 27

JT 27 Member

Don't shoot a release but have shot with those that do for almost 50 years. A very common approach when a person can't set the trigger with the gun shouldered is to set the trigger prior to shouldering. The next most popular is to set the trigger with the gun open. I shot with a guy years ago in New Jersey who got so bad he could set the trigger but could not let it go.

3. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

he might have to set the trigger before he puts the gun on his shoulder. I do not like that as you are moving a cocked gun and what if you bump your shoulder but some people do it that way.

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I shoot release but do not have this problem. However, I have heard numerous stories of folks who do. I know one solution that has worked is to set the trigger before closing and shouldering the gun. It is my understanding that it fixes the problem for some. Do not ask me if this works for all guns with release trigger. I have never personally tried it.

5. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Stop everything and make an appointment with a Sports Psychologist. A little hypnosis can go a long way. Don't delay or the habit can be too ingrained for help. My wife went through it and hypnosis with an understanding Psychologist cured it.

Play music through your earphones while shooting. Fools the brain into thinking of something other than setting the trigger.

Increase set pressure-works sometime.

When all else fails set the trigger before closing the gun. That should keep him shooting until death.

He's among many!!

6. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Oh stop. leave the gun cracked open abouthalf way, set the trigger, close the gun and mount and shoot.

So damned simple and you guys act like worried old women.

works for breakopens and autos

7. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

Yes I had it too, it is very common, 6 guys at our small club had it too. It is a just a major flinch, you set then flinch and let go of the trigger. Most guys think the trigger is pulling through but it is just a flinch. Some of the best shooters in the game went through this.

I can tell you without a sales pitch that working on a Wall Chart at home helps you get used to setting the trigger with the gun open. You need to learn to set it open and get used to doing that by making hundreds of mounts at home to get used to the change before trying it at the gun club!!

I think after you get used to it bringing the gun up with the trigger already set and having no thought about setting it when it is on your face is a better way to shoot. It leaves you with a clear mind when calling for the target istead of worring about setting the release.

Terry.

8. DIXIE SPECIAL 25

DIXIE SPECIAL 25 Lifes too short not to shoot a K-80... TS Supporters

MIA- amen brother!

9. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

One of the very best exercises is accomplished in your backyard-if you have one. Use a loaded round instead of an empty chamber when setting your gun with the action open. Great practice but make sure you have distant neighbors. Even better if you head to a closed trap range and practice that skill. You'll probably notice a twinge of anxiety when setting at first.

One of our fine local shooters had it so bad we recommended he set the trigger at home before coming to the shoot!!

10. steele

steele TS Member

I developed the dreaded " Can't set the trigger ailment." I had a half-assed gunsmith work on my K80 release. 75% of the time, the gun would fire as I tried to set the trigger. It got to he point my finger would shake when trying to set it, as I didn't know if it was going to fire. I talked to Dean Debow about it & he had me set the trigger, then closed the action. No more problems.
    Butch from Pgh

11. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

You can't do the set and then close with all guns. Try it empty before you try it loaded.

Don

12. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I shoot sporting clays with a release, and start with an unmounted gun - as most sporting clay shooters do. I set the trigger before I call for the bird and mount the gun. It's never been a problem, so I would think you could do that shooting trap as well.

When I shoot trap, I mount the gun and then set the trigger.

13. k3uro

k3uro Member

I shoot a very fast Release and can not start from a low gun without the gun going off on the way to my shoulder. Spears, Krieghoff, Roman, Swade and Timmney.

International does not allow the Release and I have always assumed that was why.

In my opinion I would never set the trigger until I had the gun pointed down range and ready to pull a target.

Jim

OKC

14. steele

steele TS Member

Zar, That about sums it up!!! Butch from Pgh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best shooters attributes release settings