Trapshooters Forum banner

Trouble Reloading Federal GM with Titewad Powder

3K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Slate mike 
#1 ·
After running out of Hodgdon Clays powder as was able to find some Titewad powder. I am loading Federal GM hulls, 1 oz. Fed209A primer, WAA12L wad and most if not all the hulls are cupping or dishing. I called MEC today and they told me that the light powder combination with the slightly larger Federal hull is the likely issue and not the press. I have no reason to contest this as before the powder switch I had reloaded 1000's of GM or AA's w/o any crimping issues.

I have tried my AA's and they seem to work fine with the Titewad powder/wad combination. I also tried Alliant e3 in the GM but they too cupped but not nearly as bad.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue? if so would you share how you resolved the issue please?

#10 ·
I have loaded lots of GM, found with small volume powders that a 7/8oz B&P wad worked fine. B&P wads are also great for straight wall shells, if can get a handful from someone who uses them you can find out if they will work for you.

I also have had great success using a 7/8oz B&P wad in straight wall hulls with 15/16oz shot on top

The 1oz B&P works very well in Straight wall hulls with 1oz loads and bulky powder

Argus Tuft

#11 ·
BP makes a lot of wads that work well in straight wall cases.Halfmile is spot on. awad designed for a tapered case will not only allow powder migration but will allow blow-by of gas after ignition. Take a look at BP loading data for straight wall hulls or give them a call. Very nice folks. Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.