1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trouble loading 20 ga AA on 366 Auto

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Shooting Jack, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I had a problem with hulls crushing or bad crimps several months ago and just quit with it. Well, I got it out and adjusted everyway I could think of and still same results. I decided to call Hornady and they advised that they had a updated station 7 crimper that had been modified to load AA's and would put one in the mail to me. It is not tapered like the old black one. The new one is silver. Great service and knowledgeable personnel. Thanks Hornady. Jackie B.

2. Nebs

Nebs Well-Known Member

The problem is the height of the component stack. The AAHS hulls have a slightly reduced internal volume and you will need to shorten the height a bit to get it all to fit. There are two ways to do this. First, and probably the best, is to use a shorter wad. The orange Duster wads is a smidge shorter and will eliminate the hull crushing sauced by the crimp die trying to smash too much stuff in the hull. I also hear Windjammer makes a 20-ga wad that works in the 20 ga AAHS. The other solution is to use a denser powder, such as Alliant's 20/28.

3. dls guide

dls guide Member

I had the same problem on a 366 and I fixed it by getting rid of it. There are way better reloaders out there than the 366. Mec, spolar and PW.

4. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Dis guide, I was thinking the same thing until I contacted customer service at Hornady. They sent me a free station 7 crimper and it works SUPER. No more crushing and still using same wads, powder etc. HORNADY is the way to go. Free replacement parts and they upgrade their equipment and some of the upgrades, like this, are free. Jackie B.

PS. If you have a 20 ga 366 and station 7 is not silver in color then you will have trouble loading AAHS hulls. The new part is straight walled and works great.