1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trouble, 2nd shot of doubles

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by cueguy2, Sep 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cueguy2

cueguy2 TS Member

I am a solid A doubles shooter and have shot some nice scores ( 98's ) in the past with my old 3200. I now have a 682 Gold E and have shot about 1,000 rounds through it. I patterned it so that it shoots centered on the board and just a bit high, I would guess around 60/40 or so with both barrels. The first shot is pretty well crushed. The second shot is sporatic. I don't hit enough targets the same in a row to know where it is shooting so that I can do some adjusting. I am thinking of shooting singles with it ( top barrel only ) and maybe getting it dialed in that way. Anyone else go through this ? Nubs Wagner.

2. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

It can be a number of things. I assume you've put it on paper in comparison to your 3200? If so, it could be trigger pull, weight of the gun, or even recoil. Keep practicing, you'll get use to it. Slow down and pay attention to your second shot (high, low, requiring more lead). Check your trigger pull.

3. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

Nub-Man...I have a sneakin' hunch that is won't be long until you find the "Sweet Spot" for your second shot to become consistant with good breaks. If you've broken 98's and other high 90 scores I would give long odds that you'll have it figured out in short order! The last time I switched doubles guns it didn't happen over night, but, I just shot more doubles practice than usual and got the job done. Hope it works out for you because getting a new gun is always exciting. Shoot well...............Uncle Sam, Pa.

4. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

This will sound brutal but it is just honest - it is not an attack. My problem with this post is simple - class A doubles shooter, no average given, lets guess and say it is 91. but the old gun could hit 98s. That is why the story runs out of gas for me. I you can really hit 98s, you should have a AA or AAA average. If you hit 98s and your average is 91, that means you are equally capable of shooting an 84. Now you are asking why you are missing a second bird with the new gun. You did not say how the POI of the new gun compared to the 3200 - have you done the POI test? Next, a score of 84 is a very poor score and indicates that even with the old gun you had real problems.

doubles is a two target presentation. But you have a great advantage, you know where they are going. So after hitting the first target, roll your eyes in the direction of the second bird. Pick up that one and the gun will follow your eyes. Just point and click - or in this case point and bang.

5. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

HaveGunWillTravel,

Most class A shooters will hit scores in the high 90's myself included. Remember we shoot some windy days and some days we just ain't "on". If you are a class A and never shoot acores in the high 90's then I would bet that you set in front of the clubhouse on windy, bad days.

Nubs,

Hope you didn't sell your 3200.

jim brown

6. quicky

quicky Member

I am convinced that we miss the second target in doubles because our eyes or head are up looking for the second target. You know where it is going so it should be easy to hit, right? I would suggest you get in the gun very tightly for the first shot and repeat a little mantra about staying tight in the gun through the second shot. Quicky

7. Jim Brown (the puller)

Jim Brown (the puller) TS Member

Most likely cause for missing second target is lifting head from stock. Matters not what class you are in, lifting head will lose you targets. Perhaps first shot is using too hot shell and recoil is pushing head off stock. Try a light 7/8 ounce or one ounce load for first shot.

8. cueguy2

cueguy2 TS Member

Yes, I do once in a blue moon, pop a AA score. Not very often. Usually the 92'ish kind of day with the 89 thrown in like I shot yesterday just so I know what it feels like. I was just wondering if the Kaye Ohye theory that if you can't shoot singles with it, you can't shoot doubles with it holds any water. For the record, I shoot left handed. I shoot "backwards",the right target all the way and I shoot my hdcp load for the second shot. I subscribe to the Phil Kiner theory of the "natural" poi. I do struggle to get my eye to the second target first. I am working on that. I was thinking that if I can get the gun to shoot my natural poi, that would take care of wondering if it shoots where I look. Sometimes I wonder why I post on here at all..........Nubs.
    I did not sell the 3200. But it has developed a trigger problem and I had a lot of FtoF's and lost all faith in the gun and my scores dumped into B. I took it to a noted 3200 guy who went through the gun, found nothing wrong. Tried it again, same result. Gun is in case. New gun on the line.

9. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Nubbs,

I shoot the same way you do. Left handed, right bird first always. Can you get your eye off the first bird so fast that you don't see it break? Frank Little believed strongly that you should move your eye as soon as you commit to the trigger and never see the first bird break. It works for me when I can do it. Usually when I am breaking good doubles I have to look back to see if I broke the first target after I shoot the second. Just something to think about.

jim brown

10. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I do not shoot doubles often, mostly done at club for fun. My first try at doubles shot 70/100. best score with 870 41/50. I have noticed missing the 1st bird really screws you on the 2nd shot. But staying in the gun on the swing is what keeps me hitting them. Now shooting my XT on doubles at club best score to date is 43/50. Next year I may shoot more doubles? Station 3 is still my toughest. I havnt decided which bird to take 1st. Im a lefty? I do notice when I get that first one quickly 2nd is easier. You need to take it slow, slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

11. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Ditto what Dove Commander said. You always know where the first target is going from any given station. Its likely NOT the gun if you're creaming the first target.Set the machine to throw hard lefts or rights[on each station] in the opposite direction the first target is usually thrown from each stations and practice shooting those till you get the swing of the gun right.Just my opinion.

12. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

Nubs, raise the comb at least two notches from where you are now. You may find the top barrel centers them better at four or six up. Most 682 Gold E's have trouble getting up to the second bird. Slightly float the first bird if you try this. Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.