1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trophy quality

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Kevin Nelson, May 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kevin Nelson

Kevin Nelson Member

When you go to a shoot, whether it be a small club or state or the grand, do you expect the trophies,whatever they may be, to be equivalent to or greater than your entry fee for that event?

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

I do not. If I win a trophy, any trophy, I am pleased. The trophy has little value to me. Winning a trophy has great value to me.

Pat Ireland

3. shark1

shark1 Member

Trophies will not be of great value, and thats ok. I just want the W. I have gotten to point I do not even wnat class trophies. Buy me a beer, soda what ever they want. How many ducks, leather bags, ect can you have? I give the leather bags away.
    Mike Sharkey, DC

4. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

How about a Walmart Gift Certificate....which can only be redeemed between the hours of 0130 - 0330 on a Friday and Saturday night!!

Talk about a thrill!

Curt

5. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Sounds like a thread for the whiners.

Don

6. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Denny S. has shown many Minnesota shooters a photo the trophy table at Graceville for their last state shoot and it's impressive, let me tell you. But up at Alex last weekend was Pat Laib's display of memorabilia and there was the 1955 State Shoot program showing 100 targets at $15.00. That's over $125 today, and if our trophy buyers had money like that, we'd do Graceville all over again. But what any club can charge for entry is so much reduced compared to the "old days" real silver is going to remain just a memory.

Neil

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It is very sad when the prize for winning does not even cover your expenses to compete. HMB

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I'm with Pat, the win is the trophy.----Matt

9. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

well, I buy (directly or indirectly) 90% of the trophies for alaska. And I'll say that we have some of the best trophies around - at least according to the out of staters that shoot up here.

some essential truths of trophies:

1. You can't make everyone happy

2. You never have enough money to buy really nice ones

most important:

3. When the time comes that the shooter who's NEVER WON A TROPHY finally wins one, you better have one for him.

Regardless of how many times you give the same 5 shooters a trophy (that they don't want, or they might prefer money)...trophies are important.

We pick one event a shoot and "feature" that event - give a full slate of trophies for. Vet to junior, A to D, champ and runner up. That lets us give better trophies for that event. The other events we give a champ trophy only.

We typically spend $400-700 for a weekends worth of trophies.

10. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

I like shooting well. Winning is a byproduct of shooting well. I like things that commerate a good day. Money is OK. However, I have seen 4 boxes of shells split 3 ways. That is not good.

11. RAScott

RAScott Member

The trophy at whatever value, has its own value to you. Do you think that you will sell the trophy, and the person recieving it will be as proud of it as you are? When we go on a trip, on motorcycles, ride actual journey is the trip not the destination.

Bob S

12. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

It all boils down to:

"Perceived Value"

One person's perception does not equal another's.

A "Gracious Winner" does not question the cost and/or value of the trophy!!

Curt

13. yvonne

yvonne Banned User Banned

Your first trophy is always something you remember! I display all of mine (obviously I don't have THAT many) I really like winning back my money for the shoot when it's a money shoot. One shoot was for Lobsters....MY favorite food! Silver trays and Knick Knacks....I have too many and don't want any more of them. I made some of my SHOT BAG products for a shoot and I hope the people that won them have never seen a 4 box carrier or hull bag made out of shot bags and were happy to get them. I'd love to win something in leather. I think the Shoot Management should give the option of monogrammed or NOT monogrammed. That way, if the shooter wins the prize and doesn't NEED it, they can resell it. OR if they're really happy they won that shoot, they can have it monogrammed to show it off. How about a "Gift Certificate" shoot? Cabela's, Bass Pro, Filson, etc?????

14. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

How many have you won?????

Don

15. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I'm tired of Belt Buckles. How about Rings. They take up less space in the trophy case.........

16. mr.mark

mr.mark Member

Shot410ga

I agree, belt buckles are on the out nowadays.... I like the idea of rings.

Mr. Mark

17. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Mr Mark: Besides, if one prefers, he can wear ten rings at a time instead of just one belt buckle.......LOL

18. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Zip Eaton was a pretty good shot but he didn't always win. He always had a trophy in his trunk so if he came home from a shoot without winning he would retrieve the trophy in the trunk to display for the neighbors.

19. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

I'm curious, other than Jeff P and perhaps Mr. Winston, how many of you have actually had to buy trophies for any size shoot?

I totally agree with Jeff - except I'm responsible for the trophy package for my state shoot. Can you say heartburn and insomnia? Last year, I had little to no sleep the two weeks prior to my state shoot for fear that the trophy package wasn't "good enough." This year is the same. I have a budget that I must stick to. I try and pick out things to keep it all interesting - knowing that most of the people shooting have the same or similar things. As Jeff mentioned, it is absolutely impossible to please everyone, but those of us who are responsible for the trophy package sure try our best. I make sure I get the highest quality possible in all of things that I buy. After all, I'm trying to win the same things and I sure wouldn't want to take home something cheap.

For the gent's who've suggested rings -- have you priced rings lately? What would you like the ring to have on it -- diamonds, rubies, sapphires? Would you like it in gold, silver, or platinum? Anything less would be cheap, don't you think? Gold coins instead of precious stones? Right now, gold coins in any size are extremely hard to get, not because of the price, but because of people buying and keeping them. We end up paying a higher premium for them due to their scarcity. More importantly, are you going to "sponsor" (i.e. kick in the money) for an event with the request that the trophy is a ring? Rings are considerably more expensive than your highest priced highly embellished gold coin buckle - it's not quite the same as picking out a "class ring."

It is what is folks -- it costs money to buy trophies and someone has to pick them out. Unless you've walked in the shoes of the folks who have, IMHO, you really shouldn't say a word.

20. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

No matter what size of shoot, including the Grand, shells are still the best trophies. Can't shoot a trophy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.