1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trophy charge, Idea???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shark1, Nov 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shark1

shark1 Member

How many shooters would pay a EXTRA $10-25.00 in addition to targets for a high dollar trophy? Example would be a GUN, $10.00 gold piece, $20.00 gold, Silver dollars per class or yardage if enough shooters play. Idea is a "raise the stakes" trophy shoot. Please comment. The last time I posted some thing of this nature you people had very valid points. Mike Sharkey, D.C.

2. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Not unless I had a fair chance of winning it and I wouldn't count on my shooting skills. Bill Malcolm

3. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Somebody is currently paying for trophies - either through the cost of targets or a sponsoring organization - ATA, State or other. A "trophy fee" has not been well accepted in the past.

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Mr.Sharkey: when I began shooting registered ATA targets, some clubs offered a targets only fee OR a targets&trophy fee option to shoot the 100 targets. There were times there wasn't enough shooters paid the target/trophy fee option and it was held over till the next months shoot. A lot of people shot for targets only at the much reduced fees.

With scores today being what they are, like my friend Bill Malcolm said, it's not an option for many today. It may work well at the largest shoots that draw plenty of shooters though? Small shoots,I don't think so. JMHO

Hap

5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

This might work at bigger shoots based on attendance but I do not know many shooters who would pay an additional $25.00 for a trophy in these trying times, but there would no doubt be a few ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

6. GW22

GW22 Active Member

How about making people pay extra NOT to receive this hilarious POS? Earl is still trying to get rid of it, LOL.

-Gary

gw22_2008_030362.jpg

7. tom berry

tom berry Active Member

Otter Creek Gun Club in Cedar Rapids IA has their annual $1000 pursue hcp with a lot of shells given away also. Cost, last I knew, was $60 to enter. I think their turn out is decent.

I've seen some other clubs advertise similar things. Not sure of the turn out at those.

High cost targets can work if there is enough opportunity to win something. High cost with just one big prize, might limit the entries.

8. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

Mike -- will give on of my patented "yeah, but" rebuttals to Big Heap's post. A trophy fee absolutely will not work if there are not upgraded trophies offered. Many state shoots (and I think the Grand at one time?) did this (usually a $1-$2 per event) and it goes over like a lead ballon. Just raise the target fee instead and the complaints go WAY down.

My opinion -- if it is ONE shoot for a club (MAYBE two separated by 5-6 months or so) where you have many upgraded trophies (shells, gold coins -- trophy MUST have something of value and could be easily sold if winner wants to) WITH the addition of some of the money paid back (like what Tom posted)... those types of plans can go VERY well. It accomplishes two things - 1) There is something of value that the shooter WANTS and 2) it makes it an "event" - something people look forward to and plan their schedules around. If you do something like this on a monthly basis -- it will quickly die on the vine.

Oh yeah, promotion VERY important if you are going to dive into something like this. Clearly described program of what is given away and how it can be won is a must. The least amount of ambiguity, the better.

My 2 cents, whatever it is worth...

9. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Consider why the shooter wants a trophy. One famous shooter in Montana - had many trophys - confided to me that he always put a trophy in the trunk of his car when he was headed to the shoot so he would have something to show the neighbors when he arrived back home.

That's one reason he was famous.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.