1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

TROPHY Alternatives

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BIGDON, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Shooters have complained for a long time about something for wins other than trophies they felt were poor.

This last weekend the MTA held their fall team shoot and instead of trophies they gave framed certifacte of the win with a cash voucher that could be used with the venders on the grounds. You could also keep it and use it at another voucher shoot accumulating them. In talking with venders and shooters it appeared to be a great success. You could even buy a trophy from a selection there.

Great choices: pick your trophy or buy shooter items. What more could you ask for.

Don

2. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

BIGDON, this is a subject that has always hit a sore spot with me. I spend money to shoot, dont want it as a prize. My feelings are that when your club puts out good trophies more shooters want to compete for them. Just like lewis class doubles. I always shoot them and never win. I'm d class doubles and if I have to compete as b class singles and shoot my yardage yt win my group I should be able to compete against my level of competition for doubles. Nice prizes bring out the shooters. Good luck Chuck Hrosik

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Chuck- You make a sound point but the problem is that what some shooters view as a very nice trophy is considered a very poor trophy by others. Not everyone likes the same things. The only trophies I get excited about are the turkeys that a small local club gives at their November registered shoot. To me, they are much better than a belt buckle or a shooting bag (I have some of each). I really like the turkeys, they are much like me.

Pat Ireland

4. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I have 4 leather shooting bags. I would have had a 5th but traded it for an award that I didn't have. The leather bags are nice but I can only use one bag at a time. I have always thought to give a trophy that reflects the state your shooting in and or the area. Here in Va we are rich in history. Being our State Shoot is in Winchester, VA they could do something about the Civil War. They also are big in apple harvest in fall time. Blue Ridge Mountains and so on.

5. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

6. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member

Last year at the Grand, I proposed to the ATA Executive Committee that the upcoming ATA winners at satellite grands, zones, and state shoots should be offered a program where they could pick their trophy.The idea was on the table from August to October before they officially decided not to do that. It has been a successful and money saving idea (the club doesn't buy anything for an event that has no entries for that particular trophy)in Texas for quite some time. I will once again propose that idea at the Grand again this year.

7. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Actualy the voucher shoot sounds like a real good idea particuarly if it was to spread over shoots across the country. Any unwanted trophys then would be the result of poor choices by the shooter.

Bill

8. dverna

dverna Active Member

A GREAT IDEA!!!!!

If you want a trinket - buy one of YOUR choosing with your winnings.

If you want to save vouchers up and buy a gun - perfect.

If you want to buy ammo, components or clothes, have a it!!

Everyone gets want they want and far less belly-aching.

Don Verna

9. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

The Golden Boys we give are offered as trophies with no additional entry required. They are special with hand selected wood and factory engraved with the TTA logo. They are the trophies on two handicap events and "open" to all entries. Champion (17HMR), three yardqage group winners and every special catagory (22's).

Jimmy Borum

10. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

I will offer to buy anyone's Golden Boy that they don't want. It may be the only way I'll ever get one. AJ

11. J D

J D TS Member

I for one liked the voucher idea.
    You can use your voucher for a trophy.
    You can use your trophy for shells.
    You can use your voucher for new ear plugs.
    You can use your voucher for your targets in the next event.
    You can wait and use your voucher for what ever you want at the next shoot or the next shoot next year. Plus you have a framed certificate that shoes that you won an event.I know the vendors were happy because winning shooters used them on the grounds at the team shoot. Who knows maybe the vouchers will bring in more vendors.

JD

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

Auctioneer- I like your idea about doing something about the Civil War (sic War for Southern Independence). Can you come up with a plan that would work better than the last one?

At the Winchester Club, the shot falls on a War battlefield. We were winning until the Yanks brought up cannons a little past the last traps on the right.

Pat Ireland

13. Gary Beer

Gary Beer Member

At our May shoot we award free targets for the State shoot that is in June. At our shoot if you win the 16 yard event you win a certificate for all of your 16 yard (400)targets at the state shoot. If you win your yardage for group that day you get a certificate for all of your handicap targets. If you are the high yardage score for the day you win a certificate for all of your targets (1100)for the whole shoot.

The winners present their certificate when they squad for the state shoot. At the end of the shoot the state organization presents our club a bill for all taget certificates that were presented and we pay the bill.

Get's a pretty good turnout for free state shoot targets

GBEER
    Kingsburg Gun Club

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.