1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

trophies

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by grnberetcj, Jul 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

If they are supplied by the ATA...yes.

Curt

2. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Wow! Those are great trophies!!!

You do get a chance to shoot for a K-80 trap special in an americase at the PA state shoot every year.

3. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I'm buying ATA trophies for next year, and I'm all ears to listen to any suggestions, within the budget....

4. shark1

shark1 Member

Dear Trap wife,
    Keep it simple and keep the cost down. Pewter cup for state champion for 16's, handicap, doubles, HOA. A tray for HAA. You win all you get the set. It will also give you a chance to complete it year after year. Class trophy winners get a small belt buckle. Trophies are getting out of hand. Shoot to win, not the trophy.
    Mike Sharkey, DC

5. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

What kind of trophies did Alaska have?

6. recurvyarcher

Trophies that are lightweight and not breakable are the best for those who have to travel back home. But any trophy that is not a dollar store buy is nice. The medals at the Grand were a great idea, IMHO.

One of these days, I'm going to come home with a lady's champion bracelet. Those solid silver ones with the gold on them are really pretty and travel easily. I want one of those.

I've appreciated every trophy that I have received.

7. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Auctioneer....

We had engraved Ulu knives on prelim day. Thursday was hand cut goose statues from a local craftsman. I cannot do them justice in a description, but each one takes about 5 hours to make - they're flat, not decoys, and he cuts each feather on a jig saw. Beautiful, to say the least.

Friday was tilden buckles, a full set, with the money clips and ladies bracelets for the catagories.

Saturday were the ATA singles trophies - the leather shoulder bags. We bought shoulder bags for all the runners up, too. arctic fox furs for the out of state folks.

Sunday, the doubles champs were the ATA provided Tilden pic frames. We bought more of them so each runner up could have one, too. We brought a camera and photo printer to the shoot and took pictures of all the winners and printed them during the handicap so that each person got a picture with a trophy in it. More arctic and red fox furs for the out of state folks.

The handicap championship was the ATA provided trophies with gold pans for everyone else.

HOA, HOA runner up and HOA classes AA to D were EACH a combo, high rib, americase - that's $450 each, easy, if you buy them. All were embroidered with "2009 Alasks State ATA Trapshoot, Class XX HOA Champion" Runner ups in the classes got big gold pans.

HAA was another high rib combo americase. Then we had the zone knives (very nice) and more gold pans for the catagory HAA.

All in all, including the ATA trohies, we had over $14,000 in trophies. We increased our added money to $6,000 this year.

We had something over 110 shooters and threw 98,400 targets. We gave away 3 guns during the shoot. Add in the guns and the added money, we were pushing $22k in stuff that we gave out.

We charge $29 a hundred, and there's food and beer every night, free but for the $10 we charge for the all you can eat ribeye steaks on saturday night.

I'll try to get someone to post some pics on this thread of the trophies. But we have a helluva package.

Jeff Pokorny
    Alaska ATA President

8. recurvyarcher

NOBODY does it like Alaska! Great job.

9. otnot

otnot Active Member

Here are some pictures of the trophies given out at the Alaska State shoot.

<a href="http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i76/otnot06/?action=view&current=STATESHOOT4.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i76/otnot06/?action=view&current=STATESHOOT1.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i76/otnot06/?action=view&current=STATESHOOT3.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i76/otnot06/?action=view&current=STATESHOOT2.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

I have to say the trophies up here in Alaska for even our monthly shoots are better than any place I have shot.

Jim

10. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

ALASKA!!!!!! SWEET.

Best bet, if your trophy table looks like a flea market table. You know you did not do well. Also if many trophy's go un claimed, well ya know.

One thing I can say that is crappy prize is ammo unless it is a good amount.

Things like bar sets, cheese sets, glass paper wieghts that have nothing to do with shooting,,,,puke.

I would like to see some sort of catalog, you win what ever. champ,class,group you pick from a list of prizes then have it shipped out to you.

Leather bags are cool, also anything that can be donated to a new shooter is good. I like guns. I have won 2 field 870s in the past. sold the 2 to buy a nice 1100.

11. recurvyarcher

Jim, the view through the window outside looks really nice. Nice club, beautiful trophies.

12. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Mike S., a lot of clubs maintain their current target fees and spend less on trophy's bought and awarded. Some clubs may survive that practice and some may not depending on their customer base.

"Dear Trap wife, Keep it simple and keep the cost down."

I broke a hundred straight at one of the "bragging" rights shoots one time too and I wouldn't have remembered it except for this thread. Shooting costs will continue rising regardless of trophy's awarded. I firmly believe one can attract more flies with honey than BS awards when attracting shooters to out of the way shooting events. They may cut trophy costs but shooting costs will continue increasing.

When I began shooting ATA registered targets, some clubs offered two shooting prices. Targets only with daily state/ATA fees and a targets&trophy fee, your choice. Maybe old should be new again to offer shooting to those wanting bragging rights only? I like the KISS method too, especially to help grow the sport and somewhat control costs. The Alaska guys are smart to offer such great trophy's, it helps somewhat in attracting shooters to their great Alaska shootout. One day I will venture up there for the friendship/camaraderie and fun they have with the outside chance of winning a very dandy trophy!

Jeff, otnot, yukonjack and the Alaska directors, great job guys!!

Hap

13. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I like seeing things that represent the area and the culture. The carving, the pans and furs were a great idea. I just wish other shoots would do the same thing.

14. otnot

otnot Active Member

Hap I think your right we need to have the option of shooting for trophies or not. Jeff just sent me a few more pictures

<a href="http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i76/otnot06/?action=view&current=GOLDPAN.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i76/otnot06/?action=view&current=DOUBLES.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i76/otnot06/?action=view&current=SATURDAYTROPHY.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

15. Browningxt 1

Browningxt 1 TS Member

Trapwife,

all I can say is get trophies that us shooters can use. I hate just bring a trophy home, that just sets there and collects dust!! By keeping the cost low I would be happy with a toe pad over a dust collector.

16. biff

biff Active Member

Otnot, are those really Spitoon tops? Those skins were probably harvested over near bank 4 plus I could get arrested carrying one of those knives!!!

Just kidding, but you got to quit showing all that hardware as it just makes all the trophy winners in the lower 48 a bit jealous and drooling! Salmon and Ribeye dinners for the shooters? What time will the bus be leaving for the Alaska Shoot next year? Looks like I'll have to reserve a seat on it for me and Hap!
    Biff

17. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Biffer!!!! Those are emergency gold pans, not spittoon covers!! Gee, buyem books n sendem to school and,, and,, and all they want to do is shoot trap!

Biff, reserve seats in the back, catch a lil shuteye in the back of the bus! Maybe see a mooses er three on the trip n git sum gud pichures? :) Hap

18. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Biff...we've barely even STARTED showing pictures of the hardware.

We haven't shown you the NRA Commemerative Henry .44 cal golden boy lever action rifle we gave away.

We haven't shown you the Remington Model 7 7mm SAUM bolt action rifle we gave away.

We sure haven't shown you the Springfield .40 cal pistol that went out the door......

or the Browning Cynergy Trap combo that left Saturday night.

Just for example....

19. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

I have to agree with macllellan1911, I have been trying for years to get the cataloge idea going but to no avail. I get the old "shooters want to take the trophy home right then not wait 5 or 6 weeks to get it in the mail". I would rather get something I can use then a silver dog food dish. A few years ago they gave away a wine decanter to a sub junior. cool.

20. michmoe

michmoe TS Member

Wow..those trophys make me want to come to Alaska and shoot their state shoot.I hope our M.T.A. board members are taking note.They sure are something that I would be proud to try and claim as my own.Well done Alaska!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.