1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trophies - The good, the bad and the ugly><

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by FRedmon, Jun 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Folks - for goodness sakes please do not use this thread to bash any club regarding the trophies that you might have won. I am interested in seeing trophies from the early days of trapshooting until present.

There are plates, buckles, bowls, siverware sets, pins, guns, picture frames, chairs, trash cans, knives, leather bags, etc. etc. etc.

If you have a picture of one of your favorite trophies or maybe not so favorite - please post with a brief description of when and where you won it. If you have a trophy case or an area that you keep your trophies in - take a picture and post it.

Thanks in advance and I will try to dig out some of my trophies from the early NC/SC days..

FRedmon

2. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

shotgunpeople_2008_030378.jpg

Freddy,

This is an example of some of the trophies the Mount Morris Sportsmen's Club gives out at their shoots up in NY...

Highly cherished by the shooters, yet are not something that breaks the bank for the club.

Dave in SC

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

But the plaque says 2007? Maybe you got the wrong pic or is it the thing behind the Coin Plaque to the left?

4. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople_2008_030379.jpg

This is a vintage 1960 trophy from the INLAND WATERS TRAP LEAGUE up in New York.

No, I didn't win this but was fortunate enough to find it for my collection of vintage trapshooting artifacts. Never was used for an ash tray either !

The winter Inland Waters Trap League is still going strong each year with Larry and Marna Evans holding the down the fort. Larry is OLDGAHCHAMP on TS.COM

Dave in SC

5. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople_2008_030380.jpg

Here is a lovely trophy I won in 2008 while attending the South Carolina State shoot for the first time. This was for the winner of the Preliminary Handicap event that year.

Pretty jewelry box...

Dave in SC

6. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Some more trophies from Mt. Morris. The awards are simple, don't take up floor/shelf space and they look great on the wall. You can never go wrong giving away coins/silver that have an actual intrinsic value.

rich219_2009_250891.jpg

7. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople_2008_030381.jpg

Gone are the days of this vintage, 23" high brass "LIVE BIRD TROPHY".

This trophy was also one I was able to purchase for my collection.

It is 5 days older than I am...It reads:

January 23rd, 1949

"WINNER"

LIVE BIRD SHOOT

SOUTH END GUN CLUB

READING, PA.

You don't see these old heavy solid brass trophies around any more. I can imagine some old timer winning one of these some 60 years ago, and placing it on his mantel along with his gun...

Lots of history....

Dave in SC

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Dave--You have a very nice collection. I like the Brass Live Bird Trophy. Very cool.

9. shotgunpeople

Thank you GRNTITAN !!!

I agree Rich,

Mt. Morris does an outstanding job with their awards for their wonderful shoots up in NY.

Dave in SC

PS: Take a look at the plaque on the back of the shelter down by field 4.

My wife and I loved that place !!!

10. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople_2008_030382.jpg

These are not trophies in a sense, but highly cherished Winchester coins donated to my Herb Parsons Tribute area by his son Lynn Parsons.

These are the three different Winchester coins that Herb would use in his exhibitions in the 1940's and 50's.

Lynn told us that his Daddy must have had an off day when he shot the coin on the right in mid air ....He was off center..LOL

Dave in SC

11. twostraight

twostraight Member

Here you go, my favorite!!!

twostraight_2008_0303125.jpg

12. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

My three favorites:

- 1992 Westy Hogans Class "B" Singles Champion

averaged_2008_0303213.jpg

- 2001 New Jersey State Shoot Class "AA" Singles Non-Resident Champion Runner-up

averaged_2008_0303214.jpg

- 2000 Pennsylvania State Shoot Class "AA" Singles Resident Champion

averaged_2008_0303215.jpg

And another I like even though it isn't as elaborate:

- 1996 Palmyra Sportsmen's Association Club Championship High Open

averaged_2008_0303217.jpg

Ed

13. shark1

shark1 Member

Fred, IMHO Fairfax Gun club does the best trophies. US $5 dollar gold piece. They also throw a very, very good target. Michael Sharkey, DC

14. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Wow - this is a great start to this thread. Today I picked up the Hunter Galloway Challenge Trophy - it is given to the winner of the NC State Handicap on Sunday. It was started in 1986 and there are only two shooters with two wins since 1986. It takes three wins to retire the trophy.

Ray Gaultney and Chase Reese (won the last two years and is a Sub-Jr) have won it two times. It is a sterling silver engraved trophy.

I will get it cleaned up a post all of the winners over the years.

FRedmon

15. GW22

GW22 Active Member

SM SNYDER -- PLEASE POST THAT HILARIOUS "TROPHY" YOU KILLED ME WITH SEVERAL MONTHS AGO!!!

-GARY

16. SPORTALLURING

SPORTALLURING Active Member

Some trophies from days long gone. Turn of the century to 1940`s Sterling silver loving cups, spoons & platters awarded for The Sport Alluring.

Sportalluring
    sportalluring_2008_030344.jpg

sportalluring_2008_030345.jpg

17. shotgunpeople

You guys are making me drool !!!

NICE !!!

18. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

SPORT ALLURING - Thanks

Now that is what I am talking about...

We had a fellow in our area and his name was Jack King.

He was known as the "Silver King" because of all of his skeet and trap trophies. He even had a wing added to his home to house all of his awards. When he died his kids had someone pull out all the silver and all the other trophies went to the dump.

What a shame...

FRedmon

19. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

We had a shoot last year for one of our dearly departed shooting club members, and we gave away these trophies to the top shooting man, woman and junior.

Kevin
    bucko43_2008_010857.jpg

20. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I always wanted a Shamrock bag with the side pockets. Really came close to buying one several times, but I figured, as soon as I did, I'd win one.

Then, at the Florida State Shoot, in the rain in 2010, I popped a decent handicap score and got runner-up and got the bag.

Of course, there were no side pockets, so I sent it back to Shamrock and they put the pockets on and put my name on it. Very, very nice folks.

That's the only trophy I really could actually use.

Well, there was one other. I won Class B at the Florida State Shoot in '08 with a 199. For that I got a folding chair just like the ones at Walmart for $9.99. I used it till it fell apart. Didn't take long.

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.