1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trophies for the Ohio State Shoot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DuckDog, Dec 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DuckDog

DuckDog Active Member

Hey, I thought it was time to have a happy shooting thread. I am looking for ideas for the trophies for the 2009 Ohio State Shoot. What are some of the best or most usable trophies you have won? I know the trophy that I use the most by far is a flashlight that I won at Middletown. Sounds silly right? This flashlight is a "Streamlight" rechargable thing that is very small and extremely bright. Came with a 110V charger and 12V charger. It is always in my truck and I use it almost every time I go waterfowl hunting. My wife has asked that I try to avoid the typical wall or desk clock thing. Give me some ideas boys and girls!

Thanks,
    Don Cogan

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Don, one of the most useful trophy's I've won was a good set of powder scales. Won them in 1970 and used them again a few days ago for what seems like the millionth time!

In the west, the nicer coin belt buckles are highly sought after by shooters too. The Hunter buckles donated by Bill and Ruthie Hunter are the cream of the crop in my opinion.

Hap

3. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

The trophie that i use the most out of anything i've won is a shamrock leahter shooting bag that i won at the pa state shoot. I use it every time i go shooting. I think that leather bags are proabably the most sought after trophy by shooters in my area. Whatever you decide to go with, i think it should be labeled with what the trophy was awarded for (singles champion, etc)

4. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Small 4 box Shamrock shooting bag.

5. michmoe

michmoe TS Member

Anything from Wendell August,Shamrock Leathers,or coin belt buckles to besure.If I wanted a powder scale or a flashlight I would just go and buy it.But any of the formentioned items are things that I would cherish but yet are to me at least considered a luxury item and I wouldnt spend that money on myself.

6. DuckDog

DuckDog Active Member

To all,

Thank you for the comments and suggestions. One of the reasons that I enjoy the flashlight so much is that everytime I use it I am reminded of the shoot and the accomplishment. A few months ago I was fortunate enough to get to view the trophy collection of one of our Sr. Vet. All Americans. Impressive collection to say the least, but he tells me he would donate most of them back if they could be reused. I agree that leather bags, belt buckles and Wendell August trophies are wonderful. The only trophy I keep on display in my office is the Wendell-August Husband & Wife trophy that Sharon and I won at the 2006 Ohio State Shoot. It is great! Keep the suggestions coming.

Thanks,
    Don Cogan

7. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

no bowls or cups or mugs or anything like that either. I love my bag i won at the state shoot. I use it every time i shoot. This is very useful and always takes me back to that day.

8. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

Shells or a bag

9. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

I agree, forget the artwork, mugs, cups etc. Belt buckels, shooting bags, or shooting accessories are great.

10. hoov

hoov Member

John Hall shooting jackets make great trophies.I'll bet sizes could be worked out with John. Just my $.02 {HOOV}

11. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Saw some really impressive engraved knives @ the NC HOF shoot.

Lou

12. Winnie the Pooh

Winnie the Pooh Member

Some of my favorite trophies were camping chairs. The association had a person sew the state emblem with their name, along with Lady Champion. It's useable and many times it makes others notice it. I also got a blanket with embroidery. Any throphy that you can actually use is great.
    Good luck.
    Jacque Snellenberger

13. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Shooting coats, vests, leather shell bags, Etc w/what you won, something you can use, and wear,

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

14. kie95

kie95 Member

I'm OK with a little 10 cent tag with the name of the event won and the best trophy would be what everyone can use "cash".

15. Chris_H

Chris_H Member

I agree with the leather products and a negative on mugs, and the like. I do think the silver bowls or plates with the event and everything are really nice though. The wallets big enough for Average Cards are really handy too. The OSTA gave those to the clubs for the trophy shoots this year and those got a really good response since it had the club name on it. I'm sure whatever the OSTA decides will be a good choice especially with the turnout at the recent shoots, I know I'll be there even if they don't give anything for trophies.

-Chris-

16. smyth butter

smyth butter TS Member

Gold coins. Charles

17. Bob Hartman

Bob Hartman TS Member

How about a gift certificate to Fin,Fur,Feather or Cabelas or Gander Moutain and let me get what I want.

18. vdt

vdt Active Member

i believe there is a fellow on this site that makes clocks out of walnut and oak to resemble a clay bird,he also makes plaques with clocks on them,i have won both at shoots and shooters have realy liked his idea and very good price i understand.....vdt,P.S. i will try to find the link, www.incomefromhome.ws

19. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

try this for the clocks
    targetclocks@gmail.com
    see thread from "Won't me Bubba" about clocks
    Bob

20. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

I like the shooting bags, and the chair I won at Linn Creek goes with me to every shoot. John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.