1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tron - Remington 552 Speedmaster HELP

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeeljc, Jan 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I just acquired a Remington 552 Speedmaster .22. I was getting ready to mount a scope on the grooved receiver (I had the receiver clamped in a vice) when I noticed that I could move the muzzle up-down and L-R about 1/8"!!! I disassebled the gun and examined everything. The forend screw was tight. It holds the forend tight to the barrel but the barrel moves relative to the receiver. Is there a way to tighten the barrel/receiver fit (I thought about knurling the barrel where it engages the receiver) or do I need to find (make) a bridge ttype scope mount that attaches to the barrel?

Jim Skeel

2. kirbythegunsmith

kirbythegunsmith Member

I had placed this picture in an article that was published in Nov. 2003 concerning a mount on a 572 pump with a loose barrel connection.

That is a high quality Burris compact style 2-6x, I believe, for a little extra eye relief for JIC.

<a href="http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x109/kirbythegunsmith/rifle%20stuff/?action=view&current=572mountA.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Notice that I had mounted to the barrel, had the flying bridge (some call cantilever) extension to hold the sight above the top of the frame, and if you look closely, you will notice that I had to do a small amount of clearance cut to the underneath section of that bridge to have clearance to the receiver top.

I started mounting scope bases to shotgun barrels about 24 years ago with the intent to have the sighting parts firmly attached to the shooting part (the barrel).

I may not have been the first to note those advantages for removable barrel guns, like 870's etc., but I definitely was an early adopter, as it were.

kirbythegunsmith

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

IIRC, tighten receiver bushing, part no 45. This backs out. I used to service these firearms under warranty. Yeah, I'm older than dirt. LOL

4. skeeljc

Shooting Coach

How is the receiver bushing (45) held in place?

Jim Skeel

5. skeeljc

kirbythegunsmith

How can I view the article that was published in November 2003? Where was it published?

What Weaver style base did you start with?

Jim Skeel

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

The receiver bushing is or holds a retaining screw. This goes back a couple of years.

7. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Let 'er swing. See how it shoots. Lots of rifles shoot well with free floating barrels.

8. skeeljc

9. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I have 3 552's. My favorite plinker for close range, but my .17HMR is my favorite nowadays. I've never had the problem that you mention, but those guns are real straight forward as far as disassembly is concerned. It sounds like Shooting Coach has it right.

10. skeeljc

The movement between the barrel and the receiver is not noticeable unless you clamp either the receiver or the barrel in a vice.

Volquartsen now drills and taps their bull barrels for their cantilever scope mount. That tells me that they acknowledge that there can be a loss of accuracy on rifles that do not have threaded barrels.

I disassembled the gun and the bushing in the receiver (staked in place) appears to be tight. The moment arm between the bushing and the receiver is very short. Any small amount of looseness will be magnified many times at the muzzle.

Jim Skeel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to remove the looseness in barrel to action rem speedmaster 552

remington 552

remington 552 scope mount

remington speedmaster 552 barrel is lose

remington speedmaster 552 scope mount

remington speedmaster barrel moves

remington speedmaster loose barrel fix

scope mount for remington speedmaster